The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 1, 2013, 06:07 AM   #1
rebs

colt match target competition AR

I discovered something odd about my Colt. I went to pull the handle back to eject a round I didn't shoot and it was very hard to eject that round. The round was a reload of mine that was full length resized and trimmed. I put the same rounds through my Sport and had no problems. Could the Colt have a tight chamber ? I am using standard RCBS 223 dies, could I need the small base resizing die ?
Old July 1, 2013, 08:00 AM   #2
allaroundhunter

Re: colt match target competition AR

I would expect the colt match target to have a tighter "match" chamber. Do you know what is causing the problem? Is the bullet seated too long?
Old July 1, 2013, 09:21 AM   #3
rebs

No they are not too long, this only happens with my reloads, unfired factory rounds eject fine.
Old July 1, 2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Jimro

You may need a small base sizer die. I shoot a Colt HBar upper on my service rifle and use standard Lee 223 dies and have no problem extracting reloaded ammo, but mine is one of the "chrome chamber/naked bore" models.

Jimro
Old July 1, 2013, 11:54 AM   #5
rebs

I believe this is a chrome chamber and non chromed barrel
Old July 1, 2013, 12:13 PM   #6
saleen322

Your RCBS FL die should be fine. I have a 40X Remington that will chamber rounds fired in one of my ARs after resizing. If you are on a single stage press, run the ram up all the way with the shell holder in place. Then screw the sizer die into the press. The die should touch the shell holder about 1/8 turn before it hits the stop ring. If not, adjust the die so that it works like that. With the die properly adjusted, resize one case and see if you can ride the charging handle about half way home and then release it. Bump the bolt assist to make sure it had seated. If the empty case seats without the bolt assist, the die is fine and just needs adjusted. If the sized case chambers without problem, but a loaded round does not, most likely the seater die is down too far and is bulging the case. Hope this helps.
Old July 1, 2013, 01:08 PM   #7
rebs

I just tried a bunch of my reloads and they all ejected fine. Maybe it was just the one round at the range. I will however check my dies for proper adjustment.
Thank you guys for your help