The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 30, 2012, 12:24 AM   #1
bwsorge

300 WSM scope rings

I have a savage 300 WSM and my scope all of a sudden started to twist. This canted my croos-hairs I kept loosing and releveling my scope. After this deer season I took off my scope and discovered that my scope has major grooves in the case. Ruined a 500.00 scope I suspect that my rings were the issue.. I know I went the cheaper route and bought alum rings. I am looking for a new scope but am having issues as too what type or style of ring to get. I would appreciate any and all suggestions... By the way I am new to this forum but so far I am impressed by the knowlege you all have. thanks and have a great day.
Old January 30, 2012, 12:49 AM   #2
mrawesome22

Talley Lightweights. Good as it gets IMO.
Old January 30, 2012, 01:02 AM   #3
hoghunting

Highly recommend the Burris Signature Rings with the polymer inserts as they will align the scope with the barrel while providing full contact with the inserts to prevent the scope from moving, and prevents marking the scope body.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:12 AM   #4
warbirdlover

I like the plain old Weaver bases and the Weaver steel Grand Slam rings on them. Solid, nice looking and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:56 AM   #5
AllenJ

Leupold mounts and rings are nice and I have never had any problems with them.
Old January 30, 2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Clifford L. Hughes

bwsorge:

I would like to know whoes rings and whoes scope you have. A problem like yours shouldn't happen. I sold guns for twenty yeard and I have mounted a lot of scoped and I never ran across the problem that you have. Sounds like you should be talking to the rings' manufacture's customer service and the scopes' manufacture's customer service. Scope tubes are rugged and they shouldn't dent.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old January 30, 2012, 01:04 PM   #7
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I would like to know whoes rings and whoes scope you have. A problem like yours shouldn't happen. I sold guns for twenty yeard and I have mounted a lot of scoped and I never ran across the problem that you have. Sounds like you should be talking to the rings' manufacture's customer service and the scopes' manufacture's customer service. Scope tubes are rugged and they shouldn't dent.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
I was thinking the same thing. I've been doing it for over 40 years and have done hundreds of scopes and have never seen what is described here. I can't even imagine how anyone could do this without deliberately trying.
Old January 30, 2012, 07:29 PM   #8
Pagrizz

I have 32 years in and the only time I had damage done to a scope was when a rifle I had sold had a receiver that was off.When the base went on it thightened down ,but was rounded a little.The scope come back dented and scared up.The factory replaced everything.
Old January 30, 2012, 08:15 PM   #9
bwsorge

300 WSM

It is a Bushell Banner 6x18 50 mm and I can't remember the mounts.
Old January 31, 2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Smokey Joe

Should not happen...

B W Sorge--Agree with the above: This should not be happening! I like steel rings myself, over Al rings, but any good brand will do. Weavers are "the classic" rings; not pretty but utterly reliable.

The .300 WSM has a pretty healthy recoil, but not so much so as many other cartridges, which do not damage 'scopes as a result. Without seeing the damage I'm only guessing, but from the description it would appear that the makers of the rings in question owe you a new 'scope.

Hope you get the problem sorted out. Photos might help in our on-line analysis. Anyhow, welcome to the forum, and good luck with this problem!

--Smokey Joe
Old January 31, 2012, 12:44 PM   #11
bigoneslurk

you payed 500 for a bushnell banner?
Old January 31, 2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Bittervinom

I had a similar issue with my Ruger M77 Mark II in .300 WSM. I was using the factory 30 mm steel rings with 30 mm scope from Cablea's. I took the rifle to a local Smith who by all accounts has been Honest Abe to all things gun for me. He measured my rings (Together screws tight and mounted) and my scope tube. Came to light the rings were out of spec by just hairs....I feed this information back to Ruger with the data and the smith's information. Ruger promtly sent me new rings that the service guys measured (Maybe did some tuning on them too). I also complained my scope was now scarred due to the bad rings and Ruger sadly stated they could not replace the scope as it was not their product.
Old January 31, 2012, 07:52 PM   #13
BIG P

Dont know your budget but take a look at BADGER rings.I shoot a lot of 300WM they fixed me up. good luck
Old January 31, 2012, 11:21 PM   #14
jdillon

I have a Swaro mounted on my 700 CDL SF with Talley integral two piece rings. The rifle kicks like a mule but have not had any problems with the rings or scope. I lapped the rings prior to mounting the scope to assure good contact.