The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 2011, 05:27 AM   #1
bacardisteve

newb has a question

I am getting ready to start handloading and i have a few last questions. I am only going to be loading 308 in small batches for hunting and occasional paper punching so prob no more then 200 rds a month max. For this reason im thinking a handpress with a high quality powder measure is prob the way to go. However my question is by doing this am i limiting myself to the kind of consistantcy sought after when reloading?
Old October 31, 2011, 05:47 AM   #2
PawPaw

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but welcome to the addiction.

A handpress is certainly capable of producing high quality ammo. I know that it's got enough leverage for full-length resizing as I've resized brass up to 7mm Rem Mag in mine.

Quote:
For this reason im thinking a handpress with a high quality powder measure is prob the way to go
While a nice measure is good, an accurate scale is absolutely indispensable. Without a good scale, you have no way to set your powder measure. Consistency is the key and while some powders drop very well from a measure, I find those powders to be the exception. Most powders drop "close" to what you need, and in some ammo, close is good enough. However, when seeking the maximum consistency, most of us weigh individual charges by dropping powder into the scale pan, then trickling powder into the pan until the charge is just exactly what we want.

My powder scale is the most used piece of equipment on my bench, behind the press.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old October 31, 2011, 06:13 AM   #3
OEF-Vet

I started with one of these.

I started with one of these
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/423081/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit[/URL]
it comes with everything you need to get started except the dies and possibly a case tumbler/cleaner. I find the bench mount press gives you a good feel for whats going on. It's always best to start with a single stage press. This press uses removable collates that make for quick changing and adjustment of dies, once they are locked into the collate the adjustments stay true with good dies. Additional collates are also sold at midwayusa.com and just about any sporting goods chain store. As your skills and knowledge increase you will learn what to add to your equipment and when you choose to upgrade your press you will still find and make good use of your Lee press. Good luck and I hope you find the same satisfaction in re loading as many of us have.
Old October 31, 2011, 07:20 AM   #4
PA-Joe

A newby should not start with a hand press. There are too many variables in the reloading process. With a hand press you add the complexity of more easily dumping powder out of the case while you are trying to seat the bullet. It can be done but for the same price you can get a table press on sale or used.
Old October 31, 2011, 07:46 AM   #5
rsnell

Read the sticky at the beginning of this forum for new hand loaders. Buy and read "The ABC's of Reloading". Start with a single stage, bench mounted press. A powder scale is a must.
Old October 31, 2011, 07:54 AM   #6
bacardisteve

Thanks for the replies guys. I read the sticky and I have been pouring over a sierra reloading manual for the last 2 weeks. In my origonal post i meant to say powder scale not measure oopps still trying to pick up on all the new terminology. I'm gonna order the lee single stage press kit and a lyman digital scale. What's the best die set I can get for that press for 308? And is a concentricity gauge worth the money if I'm strictly using lapua brass? Sorry for all my newbish questions.

Last edited by bacardisteve; October 31, 2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old October 31, 2011, 08:22 AM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
... is a concentricity gauge worth the money if I'm strictly using lapua brass? ...
When just starting to hand load, such a gauge is not required. As you become more addicted to the search for accuracy, you will begin to add accouterments that are used to enable small improvements to the final product. When you get to the point of using a concentricey gauge, you will likely want to get a case neck turner also. Start with the minimum required tools, add things as your knowledge increases.

Also, it depends somewhat on your rifle. If you have a sporter weight rifle as compared to a target rifle will have an influence on the practicality of trying to produce super accurate ammunition.
Old October 31, 2011, 09:33 AM   #8
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Hobby for Life

I prefer Redding dies myself . If you are only loading for some hunting and informal target shooting , I'd foregoe the Lapua brass , Get some R-P or Win. brass , as it will suit your purpose just as well , and save you enough money to buy your dies , and Primers ! Loading Lapua brass on Lee equipment is darn close to a reloading oxymoron . You could also foregoe the concentricity gage , I have been doing what you are about to do for 47 years and have never felt the need for one ! Now , all that being said , welcome to the wonderful world of reloading ! Don't be afraid to ask questions , as mistakes can be catastropic . Just make sure your source is reliable ! I have seen some pretty stupid advice given out on the web by people that obviously didn't have a clue . Sift the information you get very well and use what fits your situation !
Old October 31, 2011, 04:21 PM   #9
Ideal Tool

Hello, bacardisteve. If I understand you correctly, your original post asked if you could get by with a simple hand type press because of you low ammunition requirements? Are you planning on loading for only 1 rifle in this caliber? If, so, you might want to check out Sinclair International Inc. The have a very nice catalog of bench-rest loading tools, as well as more conventional loading presses.
You might be able to get by with a Wilson type chamber seater, and a simple arbor press..this is all the bench-rest boys use.
Of course, you will occasionally have to bump the shoulder back (these Wilson dies neck size only)..and for that a press is needed.
Nothing wrong at all with keeping it simple..I am still using original Ideal tong tools, bullet moulds, and lubesizers... over 100 years old and getting wonderful accuracy. Best of luck!
Old October 31, 2011, 05:23 PM   #10
old roper

bacardisteve,
I see from one of your other post that you own "I currently own 17hmr, 22lr, 5.56 ,7.62x39 ,7.62x54r, 270wsm, 308, and 450 marlin"

I would think that you may want to expand to some of your other calibers. If you did you may want to look at a better press etc.
Old October 31, 2011, 05:32 PM   #11
jimbob86

I seriously doubt that anybody could tell whether a round was loaded on a Rock Chucker, a Lock'n'Load, or a Lee Classic, except maybe your wallet.

If you pay attention to what you are doing, a Lee hand press (or better yet, a pair of them!) kit will work just fine. If you don't/can't/won't pay attention to what you are doing, then you should find a less demanding hobby, like kites, or hopscotch......
Old October 31, 2011, 06:43 PM   #12
TheNatureBoy

Its your money and I won't tell you how to spend it but....I will recommend a single stage press. Its a great learning tool. I can't answer your question cause I've never used a hand press. Welcome aboard.