The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 18, 2010, 08:09 AM   #26
ZeSpectre

Quote:
I was halfway to work one morning,,,
When the deer that was asleep in the bed of my pickup truck woke up.
That was kinda eerie at 45 mph.
Ha, I bet that was a shocker!

My uncle and I were clearing brush on his farm in the early morning one time when the pickup truck developed a flat tire. It had been raining and the ground was too soft for the jack so we walked back up over the hill to get some boards to put under the jack and back we went. I think we might have been gone 25 minutes.

So boards on the ground, jack the truck up, remove the tire and put on a spare, put the truck back on the ground...and discover a young deer (maybe a yearling) sound asleep on the front seat of the truck (We'd left the drivers side door open this entire time). I guess the 'lil guy just wanted a dry/warm spot to nap.

Uncle poked him with a stick and the lil guy woke up, calm as could be, and meandered out of the truck. It was an "awwww ain't that cute" moment until later when we realized the truck was now absolutely infested with fleas and ticks
Old May 18, 2010, 08:25 AM   #27
CajunBass

Quote:
When I was a kid my dog would go to the creek and sit in it with just his nose sticking out to get rid of fleas. May be the same thing?
Maybe somewhat, but mostly she was just swimming the river. I thought at the time it would be fun to explain to my insurance agent that I hit a deer with my boat.

I just remembered another one that almost jumped in my boat once. It was during deer season, but I was fishing. Dogs were running up on the bank, but I never saw the deer until she was in the air about three feet in front of my trolling motor. She threw water on me when she landed, then swam the creek.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 20, 2010, 03:21 PM   #28
Mainah

About eight years ago, this time of year, I got up and let my German Shepherd and Border Collie out with me. I had my boxers and a t-shirt on, and a cup of coffee. I was on my way down the driveway to get the paper.

The Shepherd jumped a doe in the bushes, she beat the heck out of him in my front yard. Even ran up to the poor Border Collie and kicked her in the head. The doe ran off, the Shepherd took off after her, and she came back and took him again in round two.

Meanwhile I'm yelling and swearing at the doe, woke my wife up, she opens the front door and distracts the doe. I actually had to stare that deer down before she'd leave the property, and then chase her off with an axe handle after I got the dogs in.

Both of the dogs were about ten years old at the time, would of been a different story if it had happenned a few years earlier. I called the game wardens and they said she'd most likely had a fawn somewhere on the property.
Old May 21, 2010, 08:42 AM   #29
Dog Stone

A buck wearing an orange hat! Hunting in Pa. as a youngster, the day was nearly over and a couple of us were back at camp standing by a fire when we saw a buck dash out of the woods about 75 yards away wearing an orange hat. We looked at each other and didn't even say a thing. About 5 minutes later my brother in law came out of the woods and told us all about it!

He had shot the buck and went up to it to gut it, took off his coat, leaned his gun against a tree, and threw his hat on the bucks head. Just as he approached the deer, it got up and ran off wearing his hat!
Old May 21, 2010, 04:17 PM   #30
HuntinVa

I was muzzle loader hunting with my brand new thompson center encore when late in the evening a large doe and a smaller one came out about 40 yards away. Around here muzzle loading season is either sex and i am a meat hunter so i shot the larger of the two. Both ran back into the brush and i waited maybe 15 seconds before i heard the tell tale crash and thrashing. As i started to get my reloading stuff out i heard the smaller one coming back my way. As i quickened my reloading pace the smaller one came out and proceeded to stomp its feet and blow/grunt as it walked directly at me it continued this agressive walk until at 10 yards i finished reloading and put a .50 caliber bullet through it's neck it dropped where it stood. I later discovered that the smaller one was a button buck and i am sure the doe was its mother. I have joked with my hunting buddys that he thought he was gonna avenge his mother but part of me wanders if that was truly what he had on his mind. Either way i had the tags for both and the daily limit here is two so i now had no worries other than the work that always follows the kill.
Old May 22, 2010, 04:07 AM   #31
suzukibruce

ok i live in maine, i have a camp outside of ellsworth, this story is the end to the wierdest day of my life. anyway my girlfriends car had got a flat and i went to go fix it, so i'm following her back to camp on bald mountain rd and it's dusk late november and she is flying down the road, i come around a corner and start going down this hill when i see her car at the top of the next hill, i get to the bottom and here is this deer laying in the road trying to get up. first thought "she hit a damn deer" so i stop my truck, get out and walk around this deer laying there (hoping it doesn't get ****** off and come after me) and walk up to her and she proceeds to tell me the deer got hit by the woman in front of her and a second one jumped over her car and broke off the antenna! so now we got this deer in between me and my truck still trying to get up. i walk back down to the truck and another guy pulls up behind me and we start discussing shooting this thing. so i get out my gun and another car full of young girls pulls up. now we got the whole "oh don't shoot it it might just be in shock" crap going on from all the women around. so me and this guy are trying to explain the fact that this deer has been hit by an suv and is going to slowly die where it is. then it gets up. great.... now this damn deer is standing in the road and about 6 more cars have pulled up and someone called a cop... now we have 4 men god knows how many women and all we want to do is get down this 1 lane road with a dumbass deer standing in it. so we start throwing snowballs at the deer trying to get it to move, well that doesnt work. i get in my truck and bump it 10 or so times with the bumper, it doesn't even look at me! so by now 2 hours have passed there is a traffic jam on a little country road of about 40 cars and trucks. then this deer walks over to my truck pisses next to the front driver's side tire, which splashes all over the tire, and trots off into the woods.

the next morning i get up to go to town and there are 2 deer standing next to my truck looking at me... they run off shortly thereafter...man i hate deer..

Last edited by suzukibruce; May 22, 2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old May 25, 2010, 05:38 PM   #32
jhgreasemonkey

I've seen them do a couple of weird and funny things while hunting. Once I ran into a whitetail spike and it scrunched up its face like it was sucking on a lemon and hissed at me spitting in my direction right before it bolted. I think it might have been one of those evil cult deer. Or maby it was french and didn't like americans.
Another time while hunting in a 3 point or better mule deer area I ran into a herd of deer about 100 yards out. None of them were shooters so I thought I would have some fun and see how close I could get to them. Out were I was hunting they probably didn't ever see many people but the one thing they were used to was free range cattle. When I came up on them they stood off in the distance on alert deciding weather to run or not, so I moo'ed at them, bent down and began ripping out hunks of grass and sticking them in my mouth while being carefull to avoid a lot of eye contact. I'd slowly walk a bit closer, moo and do the same thing. After a while they layed down and let me get about 10 feet away! The whole time I just kept on mooing calmly and chewing on the 2 foot long grass clumps that were hanging out of my mouth. lol my hunting buddies thought it was hilarious.
That same season we shot a 4x4 muley buck and were hauling it out when a doe walked right up to examine him, then layed down about 20 feet away and watched us drag him off. I assured her that he had had an "accident" and was okay and would be back after we took him to the hospital. My hunting partner was rolling. Hey I know I'm weird but we have a great time when we are hunting.
Old May 29, 2010, 02:25 AM   #33
tachunter

I've seen two seperate herds of deer walk into a lake, one right after the other. Nothing crazy as they were hydrating and cleaning, but never had seen them do that before.
Old May 29, 2010, 08:22 AM   #34
Rifleman1776

One year I was squirrel hunting in the national forest near my home with my Brown Bess. It was the weekend before the opening of the muzzle loading deer season and I was combining the hunt with scouting. I saw movement far down an old logging road and watched as the unknown critter got closer and closer. I finally recognized it as a very young fawn. When it got to me, it just stopped and looked up at me he proceeded to graze right near me.
Old May 29, 2010, 09:10 AM   #35
TXGunNut

A guide I hunt with has some mule deer does and fawns that come when called. Around sundown at a feeder behind his house he often takes a coffee can partly full of corn, rattles it around and calls them in like cattle. If you sit very still it's quite a show. They seem to know him and often get within just a few feet. I've seen 8-10 come in, he tells me sometimes even more respond to his calls. They seem to come out of nowhere and usually start showing up within just a few minutes. One regular was a very nice young buck that finally got shy and quit dropping by.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 29, 2010, 09:26 AM   #36
TXGunNut

Anybody who's spent any time at NRA's Whittington Center in Raton, NM has seen the deer and antelope that decorate this beautiful facility. You can always spot the newcomers when they experience their first deer/antelope "cease fire". These critters simply wander out on the range during firing and all firing stops until they move on. More than once a herd of mule deer has caused a ceasefire during a big match but it's part of the charm of the place.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 1, 2010, 12:32 PM   #37
rr2241tx

I was given a real nice Silver Belly Stetson hat for Christmas when I was about 12. It was just like the one my grandfather called his "town hat", meaning it was an exceptionally fine grade of felt and unadorned with the ubiquitous sweat stains our hats normally sported. I was so proud of it that I decided to wear it hunting after Christmas Dinner, which is a noon meal of mammoth proportions. I took up position between a granite outcrop and a detached boulder, on the ground, within about 50 yards of several deer trails leading from a patch of oak trees to the only standing water for a couple of miles. The combined effects of a massive overdose of turkey legs, the warm afternoon sun and the peaceful sounds of a December afternoon in the Texas hill country soon got the better of me and I fell asleep with my rifle across my lap. My grandfather was somewhat of a joker and took a particular thrill in sneaking up behind me while I was hunting, so it was no real big surprize when my head jerked back destroying my nap. I brushed his hand away from my new hat and told him to stop it, I was hunting. Soon, another more forceful yank and my hat jumped off my head. I was sort of wedged in between the rocks and was only able to turn partially around to confront Mr. Smartypants when I saw that it was not my grandfather at all but a very large whitetail buck who now had my hat in his mouth and was devouring the brim of my new Stetson hat. He got a couple of good bites ripped out by the time I was able to get my feet under me and trotted off into the bushes with my hat. I eventually found the hat in some cedar brush much the worse for the wear and with two big chomps out of the back of the brim. I wore that hat until I got out of college. No one ever believed the story then either.
Old June 2, 2010, 02:44 AM   #38
~Trigger~

Theres a guy on youtube, who has video of a buck picking a fight with the dead buck that he just killed.
Old June 12, 2010, 09:21 AM   #39
N.H. Yankee

Many years ago my best friend and I were hunting in Henniker N.H. and there are many of the old glazier boulders in this hilly mountainous area. We jumped a buck and started tracking him in the inch deep fresh snow. As we were starting up a steep hill we saw him actually at the top STANDING on a bolder to get a better look at us!
When we got to the top it was confirmed, we split up 50 yards apart in the thick woods as I stayed on his track, the buck then hid behind another boulder for cover and backtracked to come up behind my friend and stood under a pine to watch him. I figured this out because I was on his track.

Then the buck crossed my friends track and headed back up the hill and once again got behind a boulder ahead on my friend to watch him. Then the buck headed for the thickest nastiest brush he could find. After an hour of playing these games we knew the only way it was going to end was when either the buck or us dropped from exhaustion, we figured he may have the advantage so we headed off to find a dumber deer.
Old June 12, 2010, 12:50 PM   #40
Edward429451

I had a deer head butt me when I ran out of pellets to feed it so I slapper er real good to make er think twice. It calmed her down but she still followed me back to the van and tried to climb in the back with us!

All this at Royal Gorge in Canyon City.
Old June 12, 2010, 01:46 PM   #41
jgcoastie

I watched a doe run between my legs once.

We were rabbit hunting in really thick, really dense, really tall brush. I was walking along the game trail parallel to the sound of the beagles barking when a doe came running straight at me. I was paralyzed for a second and she figured she'd take the easy route I guess... Right in between em... I was probably 15 or 16 at the time...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old June 12, 2010, 04:27 PM   #42
Crazy Carl

Quote:
I watched a doe run between my legs once.
Be glad it wasn't a buck!
Old June 12, 2010, 06:53 PM   #43
jgcoastie

Believe me, I was!
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old June 12, 2010, 06:59 PM   #44
kodiakbeer

Old June 13, 2010, 09:16 PM   #45
tangara

On the 4th of July twelve years ago my brother in law was having a big party. My wife and kids were driving over to his place and we took the long way by gravel to check out the country side. We turned a corner and while I was accelerating a small deer jumped in front of us. The deer crossed the road and then entering the waist high corn, turned and proceeded to run up the 1st row of corn. I sped up to so the car was parallel to the deer. The deer put on a burst of speed and pulled ahead a little bit. I accelerated to match his speed. We played this game a couple of times, then I backed off because I had a feeling that the deer would jump back across the road. Sure enough after I backed off the deer came across the road right in front of us. To our amazement instead of jumping the fence on the opposite side of the road it put its head down and was going to go through the fence. The deer had miscalculated a bit, for the middle of its forehead connected with the top strand of barbwire, the wire stretched to about 2 1/2 to 3 feet past normal. The wire reaching a point of stretching no more along with the momentum of the running deer sent the deer into a back flip over the top of the wire. It landed on its feet and kept running no worse for the wear except fore maybe a couple of barb wire holes in its head.

Over a dozen years ago on opening morning of east river rifle season my grandfather who was in his late 80’s was driving me up one of his bean fields to drop me off in some tall grass. There was about two inches on snow on the ground and a light snow was still falling. A monster buck appeared in the headlights and stopped the same time we did. I looked over at grandpa, he looked at me and said gee’s I have not seen a buck like that for over forty years. The buck just trotted off into the darkness. I was still about a half mile from where I was supposed to be dropped off. I told grandpa that I was getting out here and would find a place to sit in the grass. I found a small tree about twenty yards in from the edge of the field and sat down. It was still about half and hour before legal shooting hours. After some time I could hear something in the grass moving towards me. About five minutes before shooting time I see a deer torso about ten yards from me and it has this really shake gait. After seeing this for several seconds I shoulder the rifle and take off the safety. I did not shoot, one it was still too early, secondly I could not see a head or legs just the body. This thing went by me for about thirty yards. I thought shoot I am sitting right next to a drainage ditch and the deer are running right by me. When it was light enough I walked over to where this deer came by me and there was no ditch, just strange shuffling tracks in the snow. This dang big buck had shuffled by me on its knees and elbows with its head down. I found this hard to believe and told many people over the years about that and they always say what ever. I did have the opportunity to miss this same buck with all five shot the next day at fifteen to twenty yards. Man I had buck fever and was shaking so bad. The rest of the group just stood there with jaws dropped for I was the only one with a buck tag and he was a big boy.

Two years ago I saw the same kind of thing. It was late September the harvest had just started to get going. I was turning onto a highway in my work truck pulling a six hundred gallon fertilizing trailer. To the south was a soybean field that was ready to be harvested. As soon as I turned I saw about sixty yards to the south was a tan body in the beans that was moving parallel to me. My first thought is it’s a mountain lion, but then a head sticks up with antlers and looks around and goes back down. Ok it’s a buck, now my truck pulling the full trailer is slow and takes awhile to pick up speed. I paralleled this buck for half a mile and it would raise its head every fifty yards or so to look around then drop it back down. All I could see was a couple of inches of its top torso above the beans. The weird thing is that this deer was going about twenty five to thirty five miles per hour for this half mile of bean field. The highway I was parallel with the deer was going east/west. When I was done with work for the day I came up the highway that went north/south and stopped about where I saw the deer cross the bean field. The beans in this field were only about two to two and a half feet tall. This buck was scooting on its knees and elbows for a half a mile going over twenty five miles per hour.
Old June 14, 2010, 02:56 PM   #46
clamman

Back in 2000 my wife and I were driving the edge of the woods bordering a field. She was in the field. All of a sudden a 12 point buck walks past me from right to left and never flinched. He was within spitting distance of me. I called out to my wife and she could not believe what she was seeing. And to top it off it was a late season hunt for DOES only I could have cried! I wonder if the old fella had CWS.
Old June 19, 2010, 12:20 PM   #47
Elkins45

I once had to chase a small buck away as I was dressing the larger buck I had just dropped. It was a 4-6 point ( I don't remember exactly) and it just kept staring at me from 15-20 feet away. I would yell, wave my hands and raise up at it and it would run a few yards away. After a couple of minutes it would come wandering back.

I always wondered if it was trying to figure out what I was doing with its friend. It finally wandered off once I began dragging my deer away.
Old June 26, 2010, 11:38 PM   #48
baltz526

I was hunting mule deer in a jackpine thicket when i saw a herd of deer coming right to me. The herd was several young deer and a couple old doe's. These two old doe's where slowly trailing the young deer holding a long conversation of whistles and calls while looking at each other. Just as if they where talking while taking the kids for a walk in the park. After about 10 minutes of watching these deer feed whithin 10' of me, I moved a foot and scared the crap out of the young deer closest to me. The two old doe's looked at each other, like I hope he did not hear us. Then herded the deer off.
Old June 27, 2010, 04:52 PM   #49
doofus47

A few years ago while elk hunting, I was walking the side of a ridge in a forest and spooked up some mulies. No problems; I IDd them and didn't shoot. Walked around the next bend in the game trail--no joke, like 20 yards and there was a herd of elk. Bang. One filled tag. My buddies find me; we gut the elk then start back up the ridge to camp.
As we rounded the bend in the ridge, the mulies were still there. And they just stood there 15 yards away from us chewing grass as we trudged up hill past them.
Normally you can't get within a zip code. Scentlock? Buck musk? Who needs them? I think someone needs to invent an "I don't have a deer tag" scent.

weird.
Old June 29, 2010, 03:18 PM   #50
younggunfreak

the weirdest thing i ever saw a deer do was it was swimming well deer swimming isn't weird the weird thing was that it was in the middle of a giant lake ten miles to the closet shore it was just swimming around haven a good time