The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 31, 2009, 11:15 AM   #1
hacook

Best Semi Auto Shtguns

I am looking for a new-to-me semi auto shotgun. I wanted to draw from everyones knowledge. Which one is the best.

Thanks,
Heather
Old July 31, 2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Cooperhawk

Any of the Remington 1100 series. Some of the best ever made.
(RETIRED)
Old July 31, 2009, 11:33 AM   #3
BigJimP

There are 2 primary differences - some are gas operated ( Beretta, Browning, Remington, etc ) - some are inertia operated ( Benelli, etc ).

The gas operated guns - need more maintenance, shoot dirtier, have a fair amount of exhaust gases that tend to be in your face ...

The inertia guns - have a little more recoil, unless they mechanically deal with it somehow, shoot cleaner, no gas in your face...

Personally, I like the Benelli - my favorite is the Super Sport - carbon fibre stock, comfort tech recoil system in it - and in a 12ga I like the 30" barrel. I use it as my travel gun / and a one gun that does everything pretty well - vs a dedicated Skeet or Trap gun.

On the gas gun side - I would probably look at the Beretta 391.
Old July 31, 2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Skans

I really like Beretta for a semi-auto shotgun. Depends on what you are using it for, though.
Old July 31, 2009, 12:11 PM   #5
cbm1948

Beretta 390, try and get one before the 3901 came out if you can. Mine shoots anything and does it well. Used market around $550.00 to $650.00 depending one the stock, chokes etc.

Beretta 390

Clint
Old July 31, 2009, 12:23 PM   #6
greyson97

what are you gonna use it for? hunting/clay or HD?
I like my Benelli M4

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old July 31, 2009, 12:53 PM   #7
hacook

Thank you for all your advice! I am going to use it for clay. I have not been able to try hunting yet.

Thanks
Heather
Old July 31, 2009, 01:07 PM   #8
BigJimP

Another plus on a gun like the Benelli Super Sport is the weight - with the carbon fibre stock and a 30" barrel in 12ga it only weighs 7.2 lbs - which is almost 3/4 lb or so lighter than most of the gas guns.

I have a 12ga and a 20ga version - which is around 6.3 lbs and a 28" barrel so its even lighter ( same comfort tech stock in it, same carbon fibre ) - but they are guns I use a lot for new shooters - even my granddaughters that are now 13 and trying some shotgunning.

Not to be sexist - but there are guns made by Browning, Beretta etc that are made for young shooters or ladies - the grip area is a little smaller, the length of pull is shorter, barrels may be 26" instead of the traditional 28" .. etc / not everyone wants an 8 lb or 8 1/2 lb gun for clays or in the field ......
Old July 31, 2009, 01:12 PM   #9
hacook

Thanks,
I wasn't sure if there were different guns for women. I am not super small, but I have run across guns that are too big for me. Maybe I should have added that to the question.

Thanks
Heather
Old July 31, 2009, 01:12 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Mossberg... But I am biased!
Actually they are a low dough gun and not the finest made...
But great for a spartan utilitarian like me.
My next shot gun will be one of their SA's.
Brent
Old July 31, 2009, 01:14 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

OOPS... I see that now...
http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=37
This is an imported 20 gauge youth size.
Brent
Old July 31, 2009, 01:14 PM   #12
greyson97

oh my god you're a woman?

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old July 31, 2009, 01:29 PM   #13
stargazer65

I vote Remington 1100, best semi-auto shotgun I've ever used.

Well...OK, it's the only one I've ever used.
Old July 31, 2009, 01:41 PM   #14
mathman

You are going to get a lot of opinions on this one.

If money is not a first priority and if recoil is not a huge concern, then the Benelli is the best semi auto IMO. With the new Comfort Tech recoil system, recoil has been reduced from before. Probably not as good as they say, but definitely better than before. They are super easy to clean and run a long time.
Old July 31, 2009, 01:45 PM   #15
DBAR

I've owned a few shotguns in my time, and the one I liked the most was the Benelli M1 that I just sold. (Sucks to be me!)
Old July 31, 2009, 02:19 PM   #16
jaymce

Heather,

Best advice is to get to a range and shoot a bunch of clays preferably at a place that does it weekly. I am assuming you have already done this and decided that a semi-auto best suits your needs.

If there are a bunch of folks around then they have/are hopefully helping you. Ask to borrow guns. I know at the club I belong to folks are more than willing to allow you access to their gun. My brothers and I loan ours out all the time and have not turned someone down who as asked yet. Shoot as many as you can both 20 and 12ga. You will find the one that fits you best and feels right. Go with that one.

I have seen many shooters go to the Benelli Super Sport once my brother showed up with one. As others have pointed out it is highly reliable, comfortable and soft shooting. If you are sure that you are going to stick with the sport it would be a worthwhile investment as long as it fits. The Benelli would see most people through a lifetime of shooting.

Good luck in your search.
Old July 31, 2009, 02:59 PM   #17
oneounceload

While BigJim is absolutely correct in his assessments - one thing to consider - an inertia gun, especially one that is light, will recoil SUBSTANTIALLY more with the same load over the gas gun.

HEAVY gun plus LIGHT target loads equal LIGHT recoil.

Hunting is usually a case of carry a lot, shoot a little........clays is usually a case of carry a little shoot a lot.

A decent target gun should be in excess of 8 to 8-1/2 pounds; a hunting gun in the same gauge should be over a pound lighter.
Old July 31, 2009, 03:44 PM   #18
BigJimP

I agree with OneOunce ( especially in a gun for me ..) but I'm 6'5" and 290 lbs .....

I have a granddaughter ( who may be the best shooter of the bunch out of 10 grand kids )... very competitive, athletic ... but at 13, she is still very young ( lacks upper body strength ) ... and even though she's getting pretty tall at about 5'9" she still only weighs probably 90 lbs .... and while she really likes the O/U's she just can't handle a gun over 7 lbs right now - maybe 7 1/2 lbs

but to OneOunces point, on a light gun, keep the loads light - or they will flat out beat you up ...

Even on the 20ga Benelli Super Sport - the kids use ( and they like the cool all Black and silver look to it by the way ) / I start them with a 3/4 oz reload at 1200 fps in a 20ga - or I get them shooting my Browning O/U
28ga XS Skeet model - to get them into the game without beating them up...... and while I may choose to carry an 8 1/2 lb O/U in the field, hunting Quail or whatever all day ..... I'm tired at the end of the day. On a sporting clays course - I use a "Rugged Gear" push cart / carry the guns, shells, water, etc ...
Old July 31, 2009, 04:52 PM   #19
RUT

Another vote for Benelli here. Have two Sport lls (12 & 20) and love them. If these were the last clay guns I had I'd be quite happy.
Old July 31, 2009, 05:15 PM   #20
LoneStarWings

Beretta A391 if it's for hunting/clays

Mossberg 930SPX if it's for "special purpose".

I'd get the A391 the nod for special purpose too if they made a barrel shorter than 24" for it.
Old July 31, 2009, 05:19 PM   #21
ibdecent

I've spent a lot of time in the field with a lot of different guns. i may not have been the shooter, but I've seen it first hand.

If money means nothing to you...go the benelli. Dad and a few friends have them...extremely reliable and will feed anything. I personally couldn't fork over that much for a shotgun.

If you want a little cheaper....go the winchester sx2. everyone i've seen functions just as well as the benelli. and their great shooters at a little over 1/2 to 3/4 of the price.

In my personal experience stay away from remmies and brownings in autos. better off being used as canoe paddles. the brownings do not run in cold weather. and Ive seen about 6 occasions of an 1187 igniting the primer before the round was chambered...in different guns. i don't know about you, but I really don't want a 3" mag blowin up in my face...no injuries that Ive seen, but still...

that being said, I haven't seen anyone with a berretta....if your gonna spend that much, get a benelli.
Old July 31, 2009, 06:13 PM   #22
Stiofan

I have a Remmy 11/87 and a Belgium Browning A-5, both 12 Ga. Years ago I used to shoot a 1100 as well.

I'd have to say there's just something about that Browning that satisfies me when I through it to my shoulder. Personally I'd recommend a nice used Browning Auto-5 in a Lt20 gauge as they handle so sweet and light. Nice ones will start at about $700 though and go up from there.

No it's not one of the super Italians, but they are just a little bit special in their own right.

Whatever you end up with, enjoy!

Oh, to the poster above, I've been hunting close to 40 years now and have never seen anything you describe with either Remingtons or Brownings. Our Auto 5s have seen many sub freezing mornings for ducks and geese, they never froze up once. Maybe it's something with the newer models, I don't know.
Old July 31, 2009, 06:47 PM   #23
PetahW

IMHO:

#1 = Benelli 12ga inertia - any M1/M4/Super 90/Montefeltro/etc. (stone reliable)

#2 = Remington 1100 (EZ/lite recoil)

#3 = Franchi AL-48 - especially in 20ga or 28ga (under 5lbs)

Old July 31, 2009, 07:17 PM   #24
gun nut

I like the beretta 390 & 391.
Old July 31, 2009, 08:36 PM   #25
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Older guns, Rem 1100

New(er): Browning Gold or Silver

Tags
semi auto shotgun , shotgun