The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 14, 2001, 01:49 PM   #1
DeadCalm

Briefcases for CCW

Does anyone have experience with soft-sided briefcases made for handguns? I have taken to carrying my 5" Kimber in a black Cordura case, but it's not handgun-compliant. I'm looking for something with a built in holster, or that can fit a belt holster and accomadate two mags. And of course, quick accessibility is important.

Thanks.

P.S. I haven't posted here in a long time. Is there some way to shorten sentence width so that all copy typed is always visible without scrolling back and forth?
Old July 14, 2001, 04:07 PM   #2
Jim V

Deadcalm, it reads ok for me. Try Dillon's at http://www.dillonprecision.com . They offer a case such as you are looking for.
Old July 15, 2001, 07:52 PM   #3
Whats-A-Glock?

Concealment device

Deadcalm,

Dillon has a device I use. I think they call it the "Professional's companion". It is basically a daytimer with a holster in it. It holds my Kimber Custom full size and 2 magazines. One mag fits in a strap and the other free floats. I find it handy because I go into a lot of "no carry" areas and it is not noticeable. In my line of work I cannot carry into a lot of my customer locations with a waist holster, it would be noticeable to security. I have my tie on, my pager, my cell phone, and that just looks like a daytimer. It has worked for me, thus far. Whenever I go to condition orange, I reach down and unzip it half way to prepare to draw. With a little practice you can become quite good at drawing from it.

They also have the Laptop case with a compartment in the middle.
Old July 15, 2001, 09:34 PM   #4
Mark King

Deadcalm,

For the past three years or so, I've been using the Uncle Mike's Concealment Briefcase. It's made of black ballasitc nylon and has the appearance of a computer portfolio. It served double purpose for me as in addition to carrying either a Kahr K9 or Glock 23 and a spare magazine along with a small fixed blade knife, I used it to carry my notebook computer. In the three years of carry in this fashon, I was never made or given a second look as it fit right in with the nylon cases the other computer professionals carried.
Oh yea, the price was right too..

The portfolio has a hidden compartment which is equipped with a nylon holster which is attached to the inside of the compartment via a hook and loop material. It can be adjusted for either right or left hand draw.

While it worked well I found that a full sized pistol (1911a1 or Glock 21) just wouldn't fit in the concealment compatment. Compact handguns like the Kahr, G23, Colt Officer's ACP and S&W mod 66 could be easily concealed.

BTW, when I arrived at work, I locked the whole case in a drawer to prevent sneaky fingers from discovering my little secret. but I made sure I could get the drawer open in short order should something go very bad in the office.

I was really more concearned with the walk from the parking lot to and from the office. The time of day I usually came to work presented me with a host of street people always looking for a handout, some could be very persistant and pushy. So I was always in condition orange during that twice daily walk. Thank God, I had no serious encounters.

Mark / FL