The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 20, 2002, 01:52 AM   #1
Blast

Pistolgrip for 870

I'd like to install a pistolgrip w/stock. I heard Choate makes decent ones and I'm not wanting to spend alot money.
I'd welcome suggestions and pros & cons of stocked pistolgrips.
Old July 20, 2002, 04:41 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Some local cops I know use the Choate, haven't heard any complaints. They're also used by security at the local Nuke power plant.

I don't any great advantage nor drawback to a full stock w/ PG, but whatever rings your chimes...
Old July 20, 2002, 10:08 AM   #3
Bruce626

ATI (Advanced Tactical Inc) makes one that I bought for $44 which I think was about $20 less than the Choate. IMO The ATI is not as nice looking/feeling as the Choate. IIRC I got it online thru cheaperthandirt.com. I like the full stock with PG for ease of handling/reloading. Lots of guys on TFL seem to think the full stock with PG is a waste of money, or worse. YMMV.
Old July 20, 2002, 12:41 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Pistol grips..

Bruce, the big thing we object to is pistol grip only stocks. I think most of us have tried these and simply find that the only reason for them would be space considerations. I tried three different grips, three different guns before I wised up.

Especially for new folks, the time and resources spent gaining proficency with a pistol grip only stock would probably be cut in half with a conventional shoulder stock.

Pistol grips on a shoulder stock (like an FAL or AR-15) are fine - just a matter of taste. I had one or two of those as well..

Helps to be old(er).....
Old July 20, 2002, 12:55 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

What Gizmo said.

Sam
Old July 23, 2002, 09:57 AM   #6
Menehune

Hve you looked at the SpeedFeed pistol grip with full stock. Very comfortable stock, and the III model has room in the stock for four extra rounds. Best pricing I have seen, www.arizonagunrunners.com
Old July 23, 2002, 06:47 PM   #7
Blast

Thanks for the web site Menehune. If you like the wild and unusual, check out www.fire-balls.com
Old July 23, 2002, 09:32 PM   #8
jthuang

Longarms with pg-full stocks are supposedly harder to retain in weapon retention situations than Monte-Carlo style guns. I don't know this for sure, I have only had handgun retention training.

Justin
Old July 26, 2002, 05:48 AM   #9
kahr Carrier

I have the Choate stock on my 870 .It seems like a quality stock. But with anything its a matter of preference, some people like just the pistol grip itself on shotguns for close quarter work .Like my local department issues 870 with just the pistol grip for motorcycle cops, Then the cars have 870 with the choate stock with the Surefire forearm nice combo.