The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 26, 2001, 02:24 PM   #1
CITADELGRAD87

I just started IDPA, and I am more convinced than ever that these are the way to go.

Problem is, I don't know the first thing about them, nor do I know anybody who has a set.

That's where my TFL buds come in.

I looked around, and found Peltor #7s Stereo for $149.97 at Cheaper than Dirt, with a 24Db reduction when "off," 82Db reduction when "on."

Anybody have these of any brand they are happy with, plus source and price, please.
Old January 26, 2001, 05:23 PM   #2
Joe D

I have tried them all. Pro Ears make the best. No clipping and comfortable.
Old January 26, 2001, 05:34 PM   #3
jim-alex

CITADELGRAD87:
I use Pro-Ears every time I shoot but don't turn them "on"
unless I'm in some sort of a competetion or shooting with a friend. You may have misunderstood or just mis-typed about 82db reduction when "on". What happens is that when "on", any sound above 82db is cut off electronically. You still only have a 24 to 30db reduction.

When the elctronics are "on", they actually act as amplifiers for sounds that are not abrupt or loud. For instance, the blowers at the range sound like your in a windtunnel, or you can hear a couple of guys three lanes down talking. When their is a shot, sensors shut off the sound but no lower than when the muffs are off.

I usually use the pink foam stuffers and then wear Pro-Ears over them. If I need to hear something, I can turn on the Ears. I have no experience with Peltor but the Pro-Ears are very effective and comfortable. Can't remember source or price, do a search on Google.com, you will find several I'm sure.

Regards,
Jim
Old January 26, 2001, 07:24 PM   #4
Jim V

I use a set of Peltor T-6's that I like a lot. Most of my shooting is done on out door ranges and I'm not bothered by any fan noises. They work well even with a M2HB Browning running.
Old January 26, 2001, 07:41 PM   #5
pyke

I've been wearing Dillon's HP1 electronic headset for several months now with no complaints. They're relatively slim and work great indoors and out.

Take a look at http://dillonprecision.com/template/...7&min=0&dyn=1&

Old January 26, 2001, 08:50 PM   #6
WalterGAII

With Pro-Ears, you can still hear ambient sounds as you fire. With some other brands, that's not the case. I use the Dim. 1, Pro-Slims. I also use the foam ear stuffers, when I'm shooting under shelter or indoors.

At around $150, from Brownell's, they're great electronic protectors.
Old January 28, 2001, 05:49 PM   #7
handgunhunting

anyone ever use the action ear sport for hunting? I was thinking about getting one but unsure how well it will work for hunting.