The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 14, 2012, 08:32 AM   #1
woody wood

ar 15 bolt carrier-where?

i understand the demand issue right now,but im looking for a basic
ar15 full assembled bolt carrier at a good price (under $150).where have they all gone? where should i look?
Old December 14, 2012, 08:57 AM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

I've recently looked on over 15 of my usual supplier web sites and see none are available. You'll just have to keep looking. I suppose most are going out with full uppers and total builds so any spares are few and far between.
Old December 14, 2012, 09:03 AM   #3
g20gunny

The most available bcg I have seen is the Daniel defense Chrome civvy bcg from brownells, it is a fuzz over your pricerange but worth the $20 imho. I have one and their fine. Another thing I have done is put several on my wishlist on midwayusa and you can get updates when they become available. I'm sure there's some nice little hole-on-the-wall company online but I like to stick to the well known companies for the sake of better customer service.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." --George Washington
Old December 14, 2012, 09:21 AM   #4
BPowderkeg

Quote:
im looking for a basic ar15 full assembled bolt carrier

i have two Colt "Half Circle" BCG's i'll let go for the $150 ea. plus shipping.

the above photos are NOT mine.., but mine look exactly like the ones in the photo.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Technosavant

BCGs are the first parts to disappear when there's a panic buying run on ARs.

Ways to find one:
1) Keep looking. I tend to prefer places like PKFirearms.com... they don't have any right now, but when one shows on their site, it is in stock and ready to ship.
2) Use the "notify me" feature on sites like Bravo Company and AIM Surplus. When you get the notification, jump on it.

Stuff is really tight right now on those, but they will eventually be available; just keep an eye out.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Quentin2

I got lucky and snagged a BCM a little while ago for my PSA upper (PSA was out of BCGs of course). You have to get on their email notification list then pounce on the order the minute you're notified. Seconds matter at that moment!

Some people have placed a BCG in their online "cart" then shopped a little more only to find out they missed out. You'd think once it was in your cart you're safe but maybe not!
Old December 14, 2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Mrgunsngear

Between 4:30-6:00pm every night BCM posts 30 or so BCGs for sale. If you just use the 'notify me' link you'll never get one these days (ask me how I know.... ). You have to just keep refreshing that page during that time and you'll likely get one.
Old December 14, 2012, 07:28 PM   #8
ronl

I bought a BCG from Midway just a few weeks ago. They had some AR-Stoner BCG's for sale for 150. They certainly are getting harder to find. I tried 6 vendors before I found it.
Old December 15, 2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Mrgunsngear

They still have the AR stoners as of yesterday at least but they're made of 8620; as are most of the ones available now.
Old December 15, 2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Apom

"Between 4:30-6:00pm every night BCM posts 30 or so BCGs for sale. If you just use the 'notify me' link you'll never get one these days (ask me how I know.... ). You have to just keep refreshing that page during that time and you'll likely get one."

That sounds very accurate.. I've been wanting to buy that BCM for a while and even moreso now.. I have gotten those notify me emails almost every day at around 6:00pm est..

Man this stuff is going fast. I checked my walmart last night for ammo. The shelves were bare.
Old December 15, 2012, 08:41 PM   #11
Mobuck

UUHHH, those are bolt carriers NOT BCG.
You should have bought when a good quality BCG cost $100. I still have several that were aquired for $90-105 delivered.
Old December 15, 2012, 09:17 PM   #12
nbourbaki

"Between 4:30-6:00pm every night BCM posts 30 or so BCGs for sale. If you just use the 'notify me' link you'll never get one these days (ask me how I know.... ). You have to just keep refreshing that page during that time and you'll likely get one."

For three days, I immediately hit the site as soon as I got the email notification and every day I would be too late. I'm Eastern Time and BCM were posting stock around 5:45pm every day, I started hitting the refresh around 5:40pm and snagged one. I checked out immediately and when I checked again, they were already out of stock. It really takes patience, if you wait for the email, you're too late.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:54 PM   #13
flynlr

while not advertised anywhere you can place a call to AIM and place an back order for an out of stock item and provide cc info and when they get it in stock your first in line before they send out the in stock emails. I got 2 spikes uppers that way.
Old December 16, 2012, 08:34 PM   #14
wnycollector

If you check out the EE over at ar15.com, you may be able to snag a BCG.
Old December 17, 2012, 03:59 AM   #15
chris in va

I saw three bolt carriers at my LGS for $180 each.
Old December 17, 2012, 05:18 PM   #16
djcantr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourbaki

For three days, I immediately hit the site as soon as I got the email notification and every day I would be too late. I'm Eastern Time and BCM were posting stock around 5:45pm every day, I started hitting the refresh around 5:40pm and snagged one. I checked out immediately and when I checked again, they were already out of stock. It really takes patience, if you wait for the email, you're too late.
I would follow this advice. I would never skimp on a BCG and BCM's are good to go. Colt, DD and LMT would be good ones as well. I haven't heard anything bad about the PSA BCGs yet. I think there's still some time yet for them to be considered proven, though. I picked up one of their Carpenter 158 bolts as a spare and will test it out sometime. It headspaced fine in a BCM carrier.
Old December 17, 2012, 05:23 PM   #17
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I think there's still some time yet for them to be considered proven, though. I picked up one of their Carpenter 158 bolts as a spare and will test it out sometime. It headspaced fine in a BCM carrier.
The "Premium" PSAs are good to go. I have 4 of them and they have never given me an issue. Just make sure you don't get the 8620 version they sell (unless you're just looking to save costs....).
Old December 17, 2012, 05:46 PM   #18
djcantr

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy
The "Premium" PSAs are good to go. I have 4 of them and they have never given me an issue. Just make sure you don't get the 8620 version they sell (unless you're just looking to save costs....).
The premium PSA BCGs you have were the ones I was referring to. How many rounds do you have on them? The bolt I bought looks to be good quality.
Old December 17, 2012, 05:58 PM   #19
Mrgunsngear

Total rounds...?

At least 10k for sure.

3 16'' middy's and a 10.5'' SBR for what it's worth (no 16'' carbine length ARs so no hard conditions)
Old December 17, 2012, 06:14 PM   #20
djcantr

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy
Total rounds...?

At least 10k for sure.

3 16'' middy's and a 10.5'' SBR for what it's worth (no 16'' carbine length ARs so no hard conditions)
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear from somebody who has put more than a few hundred rounds downrange with one.