The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 11, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Greguw

Mossberg 500 Thumbhole

Hey guys , I finally found a thumbhole stock cruiser ... I beleave mossberg discontinued last year ... I was going to buy the regular cruiser , I belave they are registered as a hand gun ... This a long gun with the crown muzzle .
I just put a Knoxx specops rear stock , and left the front stock alone ... I might do some optics ... any ideas for these mossies ... Ghost rings ? Red dot laser ?

Last edited by Greguw; January 18, 2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old September 11, 2009, 12:44 PM   #2
zombieslayer

there are sooo many options for whatever you wana do to these guns! I personally dont need or want a laser on a shotgun but the ghost rings are pretty cool. I just like my 20'' barrel with the long mag tube and the FACTORY heat shroud. no matter how many rounds i pump thru it, i can always handle the gun and it really is my go to defense weapon both in the truck and @ home.
Old September 11, 2009, 12:48 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

With the exception of about 3 or 4 large metro areas... A PGO shotgun is a shotgun and not a handgun.
But lets clear up one thing... the gun you have is not a thumbhole stock. It is an AR/M rifle style...

this is a thumb hole stock...

Brent
Old September 11, 2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Greguw

As I said in my first post the gun was a thumbhole stock and I just installed the knoxx stock . If the cruiser comes with a pistol grip ATF considers it a hand gun . I beleave ATF says 21" and up for the pistol grip and 18" and up for the stock . but since the cruiser is a 18" barrel with a pistol grip its considered a hand gun .
Maybe some of the other guys will ring in on this .

Last edited by Greguw; January 18, 2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old September 11, 2009, 02:02 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

NEGATIVE!!! Unless ATF changed the law in the last 30-45 days.
The serial number on the "shotgun" reciever will state it as "mossberg 500 18.5 inch smoothbore barrel" made on a certain date. Don't let the uninformed, misinform you. As I said a few local jurisdictions have banned the PGO altogether or possibly class them as a hand gun ATF has not.
Brent
Old September 11, 2009, 02:20 PM   #6
Greguw

I told this by 3 local gun shops in my area ...I'm in gun friendly Pennsylvania . The shops are selling the cruisers as hand guns and making them fill out the second form for ATF hand gun registration . You would figure ATF would have contacted them and told them to stop .
I know one shop had moved about 10 of the cruisers over the summer .
Old September 11, 2009, 02:38 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

ATF has ONE form for gun purchase... the same for both a pistol and a long gun... Last year I bought a genuine handgun and filled out the same 4473 form as I did when buying the long guns... Some one peed on yer leg and called it rain...
Brent
Old September 11, 2009, 03:01 PM   #8
Greguw

My state has one form for long guns and basiclly it just stays at the gun shop on file and for hand guns you have to fill out the ATF form and the long gun form .

I think were off my topic here ...LOL You ever use a Holographic or red dot sight on a shot gun ?
Old September 11, 2009, 03:08 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Greg, I think I now understand... You have it a bit mixed up. The 4473 is the federal atf form and it does, in fact, stay at the shop. I am guessing that your state has a state registration for handguns... There is no ATF handgun registration... YET...
In which case the state is being a bit thug like in handling a legal shot gun as a handgun... Does your state know that a pistol will have a rifled bore unless it is a muzzle loader? Do these consumers realize they are being railroaded? The serial number on my PGO original mossberg comes back as a Model 500 20 gauge originally sold with an 18.5 inch barrel and no mention of the pistol grip stock? So if a copper runs the numbers he is looking at info on a long gun created shotgun...
But that is one reason I live in the Bikini State
Best of regards and I think we cleared up the ATF and handguns thing that had me perplexed...
Brent
Old September 11, 2009, 03:14 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

As for "farkle" I have rarely even used a sling... I use a single bead. Never rifle sights, scope, halo or laser... one time for coon I used a couple galvanized electrical straps to hang a 3 "D" cell light but the bulb blew on the first shot...
I am a simple man, with simple guns expecting repetitive results... Like they say... "Be wary of the man with one gun... he knows how to use it..." I own just a few guns. One being my .22 bolt gun, I have a 336 Marlin .30-30 as my only C-fire rifle and then the smooth bores. I will never part with my 18.5 inch 20 gauge but the rest tend to come and go as funds require...
Brent
Old September 11, 2009, 06:34 PM   #11
tommyb

Mines not a thumbhole, but I have a similar style on my 870. I know it looks kinda goofy, but its very comfortable for trap. Comb is perfect height for me.

Old September 12, 2009, 07:26 AM   #12
Greguw

Thanks for for the info and the heads up guys .