The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 5, 2007, 05:45 PM   #1
skeeter1

Security peephole? Worth installing, or did I waste 5 bucks?

I got one today, and it was only 5 bucks. All I have to do is drill a 1/2" hole in the steel front door, and I should be able to handle that once it warms up a bit. Is it worth putting in? I have had neighborhood kids trying to get into my house a couple of times when I've been home. By kids, I mean ages 8-13, so I don't want to go shooting them.

I know there are "reverser lenses" available to look in through the peephole, but I'm guessing that a sticky-note as a mini window shade over the inside should deter that.

Anyone with an opinion, please tell me yes or no.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Dwight55

Skeeter, . . . just remember that if you are concerned about what or who may be on the other side of the door, . . . make sure the lights are not on when you peek out. Anyone outside can see the movement standing 4 or 5 feet from the door if you have light behind you when you look out.

Personally, I don't like peepholes, . . . but if I lived in an apartment building with a common hallway, . . . you can bet there would be one on my door.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 5, 2007, 08:02 PM   #3
John28226

I like them

As a part of home security, I like the 170 degree peep holes. Cameras are better but more costly. You can also install a simple motion detection unit with a warning such as a dog barking for about $100. Does not have to be hard wired.

Vendor is Smart Homes.

John
Old April 5, 2007, 08:26 PM   #4
tony pasley

You can get a cheap camera at any big box store for less than $75.00 that wires to a regular vcr to record the proof. This way you know who is doing it and can prove it in a court of law if needed. They also work very good to let you know who is knocking before you answer.
Old April 5, 2007, 09:06 PM   #5
Guy B. Meredith

Ayoob warns against being directly behind a door in questionable situations, so maybe it'd be a good idea to have the peephole hidden off to one side--just in case the TV zones out when you need it.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old April 5, 2007, 09:14 PM   #6
skeeter1

Thanks for all the input, gentlemen. After considering, I think I'm going to go ahead and install the peephole in the front door. I have a streetlamp in front of the house and IR motion-sensing lights in the back yard. That's how I know when the deer jump the fence and get in there. Since I cut down the apple trees, I haven't seen any deer.

The peephole will also let me see the Jehovah's Witness ladies when they come here on Saturday mornings, which is fairly often, without opening the door.

The camera idea is good as well, but $75 is a lot more than $5. I'm going to try the low road first.

--skeeter1
Old April 5, 2007, 10:36 PM   #7
Deaf Smith

Radio Shack has wirless cameras that can be placed outside anywere yet the receiver and TV are inside. Plus you can get a board for a PC that allows FOUR (4!!) inputs from cameras (some have eight) and split the screen in to four mini-screens. Maybe a couple hundred bucks (since you have a computer already or you wouldn't be hear posting you can use that for the 'camera film'.) 100 gigabites can keep several days videos.

Yea the 5 buck route will help, but the several hundred buck route will allow you to confirm just who is outside and if any of their friends hiding besides the door were a peep hole can't see and lurking.
Old April 6, 2007, 03:13 AM   #8
fourtwentytexas

yes
Old April 6, 2007, 04:05 AM   #9
Maser

Our peep hole serves no purpose here. We always got some form of decorations covering the outside of the door. Currently we have this huge Easter egg.
Old April 6, 2007, 05:03 AM   #10
nbk2000

For $50, you can get a peephole viewer that sees forward, below, and to both sides of the door.

http://www.securityproductsinc.com/i...ts/doorspy.htm

This is admittedly overkill for most peoples doors, but great for businesses like banks or pharmacies.
Old April 6, 2007, 10:35 AM   #11
tatso7

security camera

Harborfreight tools has security camera for $39.99 including harness and cable. All you need is a monitor ( tv ). They infrared and has audio capability. Just got two the other day, one for the front and one for the backyard. www.harborfreighttools.com.
Old April 6, 2007, 04:44 PM   #12
Mike P. Wagner

It's not fair, but everytime I use a peephole, I recall a scene in a book (or maybe a movie), where someone get shot through the peephole. The shoot rings the doorbell, and when someone looks out, he shoots through the peephole into the peeper's eye.

Mike
Old April 6, 2007, 09:59 PM   #13
Psalm27

The Box O' Truth

I went back to check, here is the link to the real world ballistics tests on front doors that Old_Painless reported on his website: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot17.htm

Here are his conclusions from the tests:

1. Metal front doors provide concealment, not cover. (For those that might not understand the difference, "concealment" means it will hide you and "cover" means that it will stop bullets)

2. Don't think a metal door will slow down any common round. It only stopped birdshot, which is a very poor penetrator. [He even fired his Kel-Tec P32 at a metal door and wound up calling it the "mighty door slayer"].

3. If it's easy for you to shoot through, it's easy for the bad guy to send them through the other way.

Anyway, good website for real world info, plus he's got a sense of humor, which is a good thing. Surprising how little out there stops bullets.

I just mention that because in case anyone wanted to cause you harm, and even got a hint that you were standing behind the door at your peephole... you get the rest.

Peace,
Mark

Last edited by Psalm27; April 6, 2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: more info
Old April 7, 2007, 05:55 PM   #14
M.E.Eldridge

Off Topic (sorry)

Am I the only one reminded of an episode of Seinfeld by this topic?

You know, the one where Kramer installs a reverse peep hole, so he can tell if someone is inside waiting to jack him with a sock full of pennies?
Old April 7, 2007, 07:58 PM   #15
DWARREN123

I put in one of the fisheyes a few years ago and am happy with it. Lets me see quite a bit before opening the door.
Old April 7, 2007, 09:52 PM   #16
SeaMariner

I knew a guy who had one with a one-way lens.... But I have no idea who sold them or where he got it.... But it does solve the backlight problem to some extent I suppose... too much light and it'll still give you away.

The other thing I would say is for those who wear rings especially is that when you peep, be careful not to tap your ring against the door.... its a dead give away...
Old April 7, 2007, 10:51 PM   #17
nbk2000

Peepholes aren't only for doors!

There are extended tube peepholes that would be ideal for installing in walls so you can see what's going on outside without exposing your head in a window.

Also good for installing in walls that have no windows, as that's where anyone trying to be sneaky would be hiding.

Having a convex mirror installed opposite of the peephole allows you to see the areas that would normally be blindspots to a peeper (below and sides).

Problem with peepers is the need for bright lighting, as the very small lens size is miserable at light gathering, so you need lights on all the time. No turning them on as needed.

Oh, and when installing them, put blue loc-tite on the threads, and screw them together so that they don't rattle, but still turn freely, as otherwise they can be unscrewed from the outside.

And a cork on a string for the reverse-peeper blocker.
Old April 8, 2007, 09:50 AM   #18
chemist308

Just make sure you install it tightly. When I was in college I knew a guy who could unscrew one from the outside...oh the stuff that could be introduced to our mentor's room when the peephole was removed...
Old April 8, 2007, 11:38 AM   #19
BillCA

Install the peephole at a comfortable height for the shortest person in your household (spouse, for instance). Covering the back with a sticky-note or a small paper square scotch taped above the viewer solves most of the back-light issue.

Add a motion-detector sensor to your porch light (remember to leave the switch on!). Using a bright light source for your porch light allows you to see what/who is near the door.

When checking the installation, check at night with the porch light off and the entry hall light on. See if someone can see light around the bottom or edges of the door--and your shadow when you approach the door. If so, add some weatherstripping around the edges of the door.

For extra security, add an additional lock to the door such as one of those flip-over plates and use at least 2 1/2" screws to get into the door framing. A deadbolt is better, but only if it extends 1" or more into the framing.
Old April 9, 2007, 12:46 PM   #20
Chris Phelps

I liked the peep hole in the movie "the professional". Its built in to the lock to one side of the door. The peep hole was used more as a "shoot through" than anything else.

Cameras can be had for less than $10 on ebay. Just look around a bit.
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06
Old April 10, 2007, 09:56 PM   #21
skeeter1

I want to thank all of you for for your advice and suggestions. I went ahead and installed the "peephole" today. Drilling through that steel door was tougher than I expected (steel both inside and out). There's no way a .22 could shoot through it, and I have my doubts a .38/9MM would go through it. A .357Mag would certainly penetrate it.

BillCA-- Thanks for the tip about the weatherstripping. It's got plenty, and I turned on the foyer light, went outside, and there's no light around the door, so I'm covered there. I've got a pair of 100W lights next to the front door and another next by the garage. The neighbor installed some motion-sensing lights around his front entranceways, so maybe that's my next project.

I put a sticky-note over the peephole as a "window shade" and it seems to do the trick.

At any rate, thanks again guys for the advice.

--skeeter1
Old April 10, 2007, 10:52 PM   #22
SeaMariner

I recommend adding half a million candle power outdoor porch lights... in case you don't feel like telling someone to go away.
Old April 12, 2007, 02:46 AM   #23
BillCA

Quote:
I recommend adding half a million candle power outdoor porch lights... in case you don't feel like telling someone to go away.
Man! That'd set 'em on fire!

Skeeter - don't over estimate the door. I've found that most entry doors won't stop a .380 from 8 ft, even if they're a "solid core" door.
Old April 13, 2007, 08:59 PM   #24
skeeter1

First test today

It was the mailman delivering a registered letter that I was expecting. Heard a knock on the door, looked out the peephole, saw the mailman and his truck, and felt comfortable openiing the door.

Yeah, 5 bucks and a little of my time to install it was worth it.

Thanks again to all for all your input.
Old April 14, 2007, 12:00 AM   #25
ShipWreck

Quote:
For $50, you can get a peephole viewer that sees forward, below, and to both sides of the door.
NBK - that think is pretty kewl. I've never seen one like that before...