The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 23, 2006, 03:34 AM   #26
MEDDAC19

If true, the real crime is calling him a hunter. Poachers and canned kills are almost always called hunting, we should inform the public that they are not hunters or hunting.
Old August 27, 2006, 06:35 AM   #27
Socrates

Anymore facts on this, yet?

S
Old August 27, 2006, 08:57 AM   #28
auberg

I hear on his next big hunt, he's going track the elusive cocker spaniel.
Old August 28, 2006, 06:40 PM   #29
FirstFreedom

elusive cocker spaniel

if cockers are anything like my akita, they'll be so elusive you'll have to sneak up on the floor air conditioner vent to find them sleeping there. Tee hee.
Old August 29, 2006, 08:56 AM   #30
youp

Seems to me Art is right about Minnesota having a thing about tame bears being tagged as a wild bear. After that I do not see the big deal. Some wanna-be arrows a big tame bear. Then he wants it to look real. How many of the cover photos in magazines are 'tame game'?

Good old Uncle Ted killed a big bear in the western UP in mid 80's that was rumored to be a road side zoo bear. He did not know it.

I cannot see the difference in killing a wild animal or a tame one. I have a friend that raises Russians for the high fence operations. He makes a portion of his yearly income from that.

I hope to make an African trip in two years. It is high fence hunts in a lot of places over there. And if I go I will kill a couple of this and thats and sleep well and have a good time.
Old August 29, 2006, 01:03 PM   #31
Trip20

Quote:
I cannot see the difference in killing a wild animal or a tame one.
The issue most hunters have with this story has little to do with wild animal versus tame animal.

The point is there is a gargantuan difference between hunting an animal out in the wild, and shooting an animal in an 'enclosed pen' as the article alleges.

Hopefully you do not fail to see the difference.

I don't give a hoot about the legalities. I don’t need a law to be broken before I know something stinks. This is a matter of ethics to me. In my opinion, anyone who shoots an animal in the conditions as alleged in the article, and then tries to pass it off as real hunting, is a disgrace to the sport of hunting. Edited video to make it appear the kill took place in a fair-chase hunting situation. Good grief.

That's like saying the cow was hunted that produced the meat at your supermarket.

My opinion extends to this country star, any hunting magazines or hunting shows who procure dead animals via same means, and any member of this forum who does the same. It's not hunting. It's shooting. Period.
Old August 29, 2006, 01:17 PM   #32
ZeroJunk

This story reminds me a little of a hunting camp back in the early 80's.An outdoor writer who a lot of you would recognize had the locals go out and spotlight a nice buck.That morning he put his hunting garb on ,had his picture taken with it ,and wrote a nice article on how he had killed it.
Old August 29, 2006, 05:03 PM   #33
Scorch

Quote:
I hope to make an African trip in two years. It is high fence hunts in a lot of places over there
youp-
African high-fence operations are large enough to allow the game to act and live normally, evade predators, breed, even migrate. Heck, some of them are almost large enough to allow Rhode Island to be set down in the middle of them. Most of the fences in question in those places are to keep certain large animals (usually elephants, rhinos, lions, etc) OUT, not to keep the game animals in. Not exactly what your average American game farmer considers as a "high-fence operation". The animal in question was supposedly caged or restrained in some manner.
Old August 29, 2006, 08:57 PM   #34
swampdog

Has anyone seen any updated info on this? Every story I've found on the web was dated 8/16.

Around 20 or so years ago, Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. had a trophy quality buck killed at night in it's pen. This was a tame deer and some of you might have even seen it. The guy used a bow an arrow and only took it's head. I doubt the guy got much joy of it, the antlers were unique and very well known. I know they looked long and hard for the culprit.

At least Troy Lee Gentry paid for the "privilege". I guess some people with money feel they have the right to buy anything. No matter what the law does to him, he'll never live it down. The ironic thing about the whole issue is that for the money he spent, he could have purchased a real guided hunt( or two) and actually taken a bear he could have bragged about. I guess he didn't feel he could take the time off his busy schedule. He's got the time to go to court, though. I'm sure he'll hire some high priced lawyer and get a slap on the wrist, but I'd love to see his legal bill.

I don't understand people like this. I hunt for myself. I could care less what other people think.