The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2009, 11:19 AM   #1
joshak_762

Western Field Model 30 Bolt Action 20 Gauge

My buddy had this shotgun and is interested in the value of it. From what I understand the Western Field was a Montgomery Ward brand that was made by several different gun makers. Does anyone know the value of this gun or know of how I can find the value? The serial number is 25EKN-164A and the shotgun is in fair to good condition. Thanks in response for any help.

Josh
Old September 8, 2009, 11:37 AM   #2
BigJimP

I have one in 16ga / value maybe $25- $50. They're nice light guns / but not sought after by collectors or shooters these days.

It was my first shotgun when I was a kid - maybe 8 yrs old - back in the 50's ...... and I still have it / although I don't ever shoot it.
Old September 8, 2009, 11:46 AM   #3
CDH

I also had a Western Field bolt action shotgun when I was a kid (my mom worked for Monkey Wards and her usual discount meant that our family had a whole lotta' MW stuff... did you know that there actually was a Montgomery Ward brand of outboard motor called a "Sea King"?... yup, we had one. ).

But I could never understand why someone would want a bolt action shotgun.
It's never fast enough to re-chamber a round, so it was virtually worthless for trap, and for hunting, working the bolt sometimes meant waving the muzzle around (did Dick Cheney use a Western Field bolt shotgun? )

I think a value of $25 to $50 would be more than generous, and it would be fun to shoot as a curiosity.
Old September 8, 2009, 12:40 PM   #4
joshak_762

Thanks

I appreciate the input. I did not believe the gun would hold much value being that it was Montgomery Ward gun. I told my buddy to hang on to it for his nephew or for a child of his own someday. Thanks again.
Old September 8, 2009, 01:54 PM   #5
BigJimP

Sure,

I killed a lot of grouse with mine when I was a kid - it isn't a bad gun / just a gun from that era that's been passed by these days with screw in chokes, a variety of shells available commercially, etc ... that makes today's guns a lot more versatile.

I've actually shot Skeet with mine just for the heck of it - and the bolt action does make it a challenge....
Old September 9, 2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Jack O'Conner

A model like yours in very good shape could command $100. or more. Just like anything, practice makes perfect. The bolt can be handled fairly quickly with practice.

Back when I was a teen, my best huntin' buddy carried an Ithaca 66 lever action single barrel shotgun. It was 20 gauge with modified choke. Chucky was able to get off a quick 2nd shot with good accuracy. No kidding.

Jack