The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 1, 2015, 09:22 AM   #1
Super Blackhawk

Bushmaster XM15E2S a newbies pleasant surprise

For years I had delayed buying/owning an AR, I guess I was just too involved n interested in handguns, shotguns n bolt action rifles. Well long story short last year after researching the M4 marketplace for a quality under $1100 M4; I decided to go with a Bushmaster XM15 E2S magpul edition n I put an inexpensive Monstrum red/green 3/9/40 scope on it .
Wow what a shooter I stumbled upon n this inexpensive 100 dollar scope makes it a tack driver. So Im Curious to know... Why is Bushmaster seemingly viewed by the AR crowd as less than a great choice for mid range priced Ars? Or does anyone here own one n really like it as I do?
Old November 1, 2015, 09:34 AM   #2
Sharkbite

2 of my SBR's are built on Bushmaster lowers. These are the 2 lowers i ran during my time teaching at Front Sight.

They both started out as complete Bushmaster guns and ran that way for YEARS of hard use. When i decided to get into NFA guns, i grabbed a bushy lower outta the safe and made it into an SBR. Lots more rounds downrange from that gun

I dont think there is anything wrong with Bushmasters products. Its all internet BS and fanboy love for other brands that causes some lowers to be less good then others in the same price point.

Now, some low end stuff will have problems. Out of spec tolerances and mis-aligned holes. But a "Mil-spec" lower is a Mil-spec lower or upper or BGC.

Some high end manufactures go to EXTRA lengths and exceed "Mil-spec". But thats like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford.
Old November 1, 2015, 10:17 AM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Bushmaster (pre-acqusition by Remington) has long been conservative and slow to react to the market. They make decent rifles and I've owned a few; but by and large you can get more features for the same price now. Post-acquisition, Bushmaster didn't get any less slow.
Old November 1, 2015, 09:41 PM   #4
Ibmikey

I bought a Bushmaster about eight months ago and since it has digested many a round of .223 without a complaint. The rifle is as accurate as the majority of my other AR's but I am not into punching little holes in paper, I want reactive targets and my Bushmaster certainly excells there.
Old November 2, 2015, 10:47 AM   #5
kcub

I bought a Bushmaster 16" free float that balances and shoots sub MOA groups. It's been under my bed for the ten years I've had it ready to grab if I need it in the middle of the night. No complaints.
Old November 2, 2015, 11:02 AM   #6
Tjohn

I have a 16 inch M4 profile Bushmaster upper that has been 100% relieable and has proved to be a decently accurate and small grouping shooter despite being chrome lined. I would not hesitate to purchase again if found at a reasonable price point.

It comes down to cost savings and quality control, along with price. In some instances manufacturers implement cost saving steps in the materials used or the manufacturing process, but then they fail to reflect those savings in the price of their end product, and this comes back to bite them at times. I think that most of the mid-range AR15 manufacturers have been guility of this at different times.

Last edited by Tjohn; November 2, 2015 at 11:22 AM.