The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 22, 2013, 10:09 PM   #1
joe-lumber

Ruger SR9

Purchased a new Ruger SR9 and every 3rd shot would not eject the empty shell. I was very disappointed with the new pistol. It didn't happen every time but out of the first 100 shots it happened about 6 times. I cleaned and will try it again very soon. Also used two different brands of ammo and it happened with both types.

Any suggestions?
J
Old April 22, 2013, 10:26 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

How much experience do you have with pistols? Are you sure it was exactly the 3rd round out of the magazine, or was it just around that? And did it happen with more than one magazine?

Not trying to insult you with any of the above questions at all, just trying to get a baseline for your shooting experience and the testing that the gun went through.

And when you say it would not eject, do you mean the casing was left in the barrel, or that it was a "stovepipe"?

Last edited by allaroundhunter; April 22, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old April 22, 2013, 10:37 PM   #3
WiscBuckmaster

Did you clean it before you shot it? A lot of people recommend to clean before the first use because they are packed with grease from the factory to prevent rust while on the shelf.
Old April 22, 2013, 10:51 PM   #4
745SW

Assuming your using WWB FMJ budget ammo I would suggest some significantly hotter ammo such as RWS and S&B. The European stuff in 9mm is generally warmer than the norm here in the states.
Old April 23, 2013, 01:09 AM   #5
Derius_T

All great suggestions. I have owned an SR9 since they first hit the shelves after their recall and I can tell you I have probably close to 800 rounds or more through it and have never had a feeding problem, or problem of any kind, other than the hardest mag release in the entire known universe.

I would definitely suggest trying a different mag after a good field strip and cleaning.
Old April 23, 2013, 04:49 AM   #6
PatientWolf

If you did clean before you shot did you do a good job of cleaning the rails and then did you lubricate the rails?
Old April 23, 2013, 07:10 AM   #7
joe-lumber

SR9

I didn't clean the rails but I did clean the barrel throughly before shooting. It may be that after the third shot I am not holding it real tight. It didn't happen all of the time but I cleaned it last night and will be out on the range today again. I remember holding it very tightly and it didn't happen all the time. Looks like another test until I get it correct. It did blast the red circle out of the target and felt very good to me.
J
Old April 23, 2013, 07:58 AM   #8
allaroundhunter

Re: Ruger SR9

I would guess that you are limp-wristing it. But without knowing exactly what the malfunction is, I can't say with any certainty.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:21 AM   #9
PatientWolf

If you still haven't cleaned the rails, I would clean and lubricate the as th next step.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Assuming your using WWB FMJ budget ammo I would suggest some significantly hotter ammo such as RWS and S&B.
Not the best idea. Until you know whats causing it, you shouldn't increase pressure.
If an engine is missing do you add a turbo or NOS?

Are they stove piping, sticking in the barrel, or staying in the chamber area?
Any of the above or all?
Old April 23, 2013, 10:20 AM   #11
shuler13

Ruger SR9

The SR9s come with a lot of packing oil. A good cleaning and re-lube may really help.

And try a different ammo until it loosens up a bit.
Old April 23, 2013, 12:21 PM   #12
joe-lumber

Non Ejecting

Well after a through cleaning and oiling did the trick. I also held the pistol much tighter and not a problem. It was about 70 shots and every one was perfect ejection and reload in the chamber. I am going to love this pistol now!
J
Old April 23, 2013, 07:38 PM   #13
WiscBuckmaster

good to hear its working for you now
Old April 23, 2013, 08:32 PM   #14

Glad it worked out, joe. I've had mine for about a month and I love it. Mine came directly from Ruger so it's very new production with the new slide design that's identical to the 40 and 45 models. I have shot nothing but handloads through mine and some were pretty mild loads I had developed for my brother who is just getting started in defensive handgunning with a Taurus 111 SSP. The mild loads ran fine in my SR9 as well as the high velocity handloads it's fired. It is very accurate and yours should run fine with any load you want to use, up to and including +P defense loads.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:50 PM   #15
Wreck-n-Crew

Awesome!
Old April 24, 2013, 01:54 AM   #16
Northrider

Glad it is working well for you now. I like mine, it shoots well and I haven't had any real issues. It didn't like a couple of my reloads, but I think it was a combination of light load and not keeping a firm enough grip.
Old April 24, 2013, 02:44 PM   #17
BigJerm79

Identical issue...

with my cousin's SR9. WWB 115 gr...FTE (empty stuck in the barrel) every 1-2 rounds. He called Ruger and they said to give it another try and if the problem persists, send it back them and they'd fix it. The fix mentioned was polishing the extractor. So, he cleaned it up and we took it for a spin last night to run some different factory loads through it. Sure enough, it ran American Eagle, Federal, and Remmy green box loads WITHOUT issue. We then switched BACK to WWB and guess what? FTE every 1-2 rounds. We removed the WWB from the equation & had a great night of shooting. He's still considering sending it back to Ruger though. We'll see.

J
Old April 24, 2013, 03:14 PM   #18
joe-lumber

My brother purchased a Steyr M9-A1 yesterday and today I saw a Utube on it and the Steyr was failing to eject in the video. The video charactor was frustrated as I was when it happened to me with the SR9. Well my brother shot 50 rounds with his and nary a shell casing left in the breech. I guess one gets problem pistols from time to time.

Next week I will go again to the range to try out the SR9 and I am betting my problems will be cured.

Attached is the UTube video I viewed that showed what was happening with my SR9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1UIa-Qd77M

J
Old May 5, 2013, 10:10 AM   #19
SIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57K
Mine came directly from Ruger so it's very new production with the new slide design that's identical to the 40 and 45 models
57K, I'm curious about this post. I just ordered one from an online dealer and it's scheduled to be here this week. I never knew they re-designed the slides on the SR9 guns. Can you please explain in a little more detail? Any idea what serial number this began with? I'd greatly appreciate your help. Thank you.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:07 PM   #20

SIMP, the change is only cosmetic and it isn't a big difference. I don't know exactly when the change occurred, but I believe it's been in the last six months or less. The older models have a horizontal mill cut at the bottom of the slide just above the frame where the frame narrows above the front of the trigger guard and runs to the front of the slide. The new SR9s omit the mill cut in favor of the vertical mill cut on the front of the slide like the SR40 and now the SR45. So, now the slides on all 3 full size pistols have a similar appearance.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:11 PM   #21
SIMP

Thanks 57. If possible, do you have pics supporting the change? I'd like to see old vs. new side by side. I'll try googling it and see what I can dig up as well. Thank you.
Old May 5, 2013, 08:11 PM   #22
SIMP

Ok, so here are the two different slides. So, the slide without the bevel over the rail is the new version? I kind of like that groove/bevel over the rail on the slide. Thank you.