The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 27, 2015, 02:12 PM   #26
Cheapshooter

I smell the desire for an AR platform rifle!

Now, if you want a great small game rifle, the Ruger 10-22 is a time proven performer. You can't go wrong with it in the squirrel woods. But you won't look "tacticool" at the range.
Well, maybe with a 10-22 takedown in satin black with a flash suppressor, and a BX25 mag stuck in it. Might be a good compromise choice.
http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Ta...112_order.html
http://www.ruger.com/micros/BX-25/index.html?r=y
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; October 27, 2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old October 28, 2015, 12:27 PM   #27
DocUSMCRetired

I actually own a couple of these. We have two boys and each has their own 10/22 with silencer, and AR-22 with silencer.

I have to say the S&W Performance Center 15-22 with Silencer on it is great. It is extremely accurate, sub moa. With a silencer its whisper quiet, and its set up right. So if you want to mount a scope, rds, or other sights you can very easily.

The 10/22 cost me a couple hundred more to get the same accuracy as the S&W had out of the box.
Old November 5, 2015, 02:01 AM   #28
Airborne Falcon

I have one M&P 22 and two 10-22s, a carbine and a full sized faux stainless.

IMHO the M&P is the far better option. Better all around system.

To each his own but there is no comparison IMHO. It's like comparing a '77 Chevy Monza to a 2010 Vette.

The only drawback I see is the price of mags for the M&P. But then again, Ruger ripped us off for so many years with their little ten rounders ... plus you throw in the Ruger Letter and I'm just not a fan of Ruger anymore. I'd unload these two 10-22s if it were not for the grandkids.

If you own a full-sized AR varient in 5.56 or 7.62 then you can use the little 22 M&P for inexpensive practice. My Son talked me into to putting an inexpensive light and laser, both pressure switch activated, on the rail of the M&P and it has really made shooting that little rifle a lot of fun.

You'll spend more on the 10-22 by the time you aftermarket part it and do all the necessary conversions in an effort to match it favorably with the M&P IMHO.
Old November 7, 2015, 11:02 PM   #29
Captains1911

10/22 hands down.
Old November 8, 2015, 12:28 AM   #30
tahunua001

my buddy has the MP22, my whole family, minus a couple, own 10-22s. from my experieince with his mp22 the 10-22 is more accurate, more reliable, more compact, the mags are more compact, factory triggers are better. I prefer them in every way. with that said, comparing to a Marlin model 60, the model 60 is more compact(a little longer but much slimmer), the triggers are even better, factory sights are nicer(at least they used to be, I haven't picked one up lately), the only thing they don't have going for them is that they don't have detachable mags.

if you're looking for a tacticool 22, get a 10-22 and put an archangel stock on it. they are tough as nails, have about the same ergonomics as an AR15, even look a little like one.

Last edited by tahunua001; November 8, 2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old November 8, 2015, 08:45 AM   #31
9x19

What all the above opinions are trying to say is: Either the S&W M&P 22 or the Ruger 10/22 will serve you well, it simply comes down to the features you want.

I own both and I'm happy with both. I think the OP would be happy with either, once they figure out what they want.