The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2005, 12:25 PM   #1
VonFatman

Plated Bullets--Rainier 240gr HP bullets-.44 Mag

I'm going to try some Rainier plated bullets...240gr HP. I'd like some warm (not high end) loads for the range.

I have Blue Dot, Tight Group & 231 on the shelf. I can certainly get other powders.

Anyone care to toss out a recipie or two?
Rainier's people recommend taking 10% off the top of the posted "high end" of any JHP or JSP recipe (out of the manuals) and make that the Rainier
"high end".

I've heard some say this is fine, others recommend the plated bullets
fly just like the jacketed and make no "allowance" for the softer bullet.

I'm all ears! Thank you.

Bob
Old January 11, 2005, 12:13 AM   #2
AustinMike

Did you look here yet?

http://www.rainierballistics.com/loaddata.htm

I haven't tried any .44 loads yet. I did contact Rainier to ask about crimping, since their bullets have no grooves. FYI, they recommend using the Lee Factory Crimp dies.
Old January 11, 2005, 04:25 AM   #3
durt_b1ker

I just bought some of the Ranier's to try out. I have a Lee Pro 1000, and there are only three spaces in the turret. Should I buy a cheap single stage press to use my factory crimp dies in?
Old January 11, 2005, 08:50 AM   #4
MADISON

Plated Bullets--Rainier 240gr HP bullets-.44 Mag

Plated Bullets--Rainier 240gr HHP bullets is what I load my 44 Mag with.
CAUTION---it's a Max load!!! 10.3 grains of UNIQUE
This is at the uper end of the 1200 feet per second that you can shoot a plated bullet at. I use a Taper Crimp. If you have any dies except Lee or Hornady, where the decapping stim is easily removable, there is an easy way.
Remove the decapping assembly and readjust the die to size the case with the bullet inside.
Old January 11, 2005, 09:27 AM   #5
VonFatman

AustinMike,
Thank you & yes I did, the "Midway" link from Rainier has the most useful data, however, they did not offer information on the powders I had on the shelf...I was hoping to try some Blue Dot or Tight Group powder with these bullets.

durt_b1ker,
Hmm, I don't know what to say regarding your set-up. I was told by another reloader this morning that he (using the same Rainier HP 240's) just uses enough roll crimp to remove the bell. He says that is enough to hold the bullet w/out deforming the bullet. After a semi-frustrating evening at the press last night (Rainier bullets need a tapper crimp---RCBS does not include a taper die, nor make one in .44 Mag, according to their website)...so I tried to figure out why I'd bothered buying RCBS dies, then why I'd bought plated bullets...on and on...anyway, my buddy who gave me this advise has reloaded .44 mag. ammo for me before with these bullets and he's an expreienced re-loader...I'll try getting using the roll crimp die tonight and see if I can make it work like he suggested...I suspect I will have no trouble.
Another "problem" I have had with the RCBS dies in my Dillon, I don't seem find the RCBA die "instructions" very clear...or I'm just to foggy?!?...anyway, I am fortunate to have friends around who have been able to discuss my "problems" on-site or I'd still be trying to understand the instructions.
Learning to reload is an ongoing (nightly process for me...I'm a little slow I guess).

MADISON,
Thanks for the load info and suggestions. A question: I'm using RCBS dies, the decapping/sizing die is at station one of my Dilllon 650, I'm assuming in my situation, I'd need another decapping die to use it at a later station as a taper die?

Thanks guys!

Bob
Old January 11, 2005, 10:24 AM   #6
AustinMike

VonFatman, I've got one of Midway's Load Map books and they list the following for a 240 gr plated .44 mag:

Hodgdon Titegroup:
start: 7.8gr = 1107 fps
max: 9.1gr = 1173 fps
Old January 11, 2005, 11:06 AM   #7
VonFatman

Thanks AustinMike!

Bob
Old January 12, 2005, 09:43 PM   #8
impact

One thing you have to watch with plated bullets is not to give it to much crimp! If over crimped it will tear the plating. This is not hearsay! I saw over crimped 9mm rounds that would put a bullet through the target with copper plating stuck in the paper around the hole! I use a light taper crimp with my reloads.

One other thing don't use plated bullets with a gun that has a built in muzzel brake in the barrel.

I use plated bullets in my 9mm, 38s, 357s and 45 ACP with good luck but the accuracy is not as good as jacketed or lead bullets.
Old January 12, 2005, 10:19 PM   #9
VonFatman

Thanks Impact.
I've been able to get the bell out with the RCBS seater die...and when testing the bullets for a good bite into the case...found I had to really work at pulling the test bullets...also found that the bullets showed no crimp markings...I guess my patience paid off...it took a while to get the crimp down!
Test rounds fired great too.

Best wishes.

Bob