The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 13, 2012, 10:13 PM   #1
AdamSean

How often do you practice presenting your weapon?

I carry everyday, whether concealed or open carry. I visit the range at least once a month, if not twice. I practice rapid different shooting techniques, such as double tap, shooting on the move, weak hand, one-handed, etc. But one thing I have not been spending any time on is practicing presenting my weapon.

I watched a video the other day and saw how fast the shooter was reloading. I thought to myself how I never practice reloads. Then it hit that I also haven't been practicing my presentation either. I used to be pretty fast at moving my concealment garment, drawing, and setting up on target. I even have a sillouette target on the wall for just such practice.

Since it is very important to be faster than the other guy, I have decided to commit to presentation drills everyday. And since I sometimes carry a sub-compact in my pocket, that should be included in the practice. Also, I think something to take into consideration is environment. I am thinking of practicing presenting in confined spaces, such as the car or a narrow hallway.

I think these practices will be very beneficial and recommend that everyone should do them at least periodically. Its all about muscle memory.

Most important about practice, make sure your weapon is UNLOADED.
Old June 13, 2012, 10:23 PM   #2
G.T. Smith

Just about everyday.....

I carry a S&W M37 snub most of the time. i carry it in a Bianchi Chief and it is very easy to draw from. I don't take it off of my belt though without thumbing the snap loose because it makes it easier to remove. Sometimes I will practice my draw a few times before I take it off for the day. I use HKS speed loaders and really need to practice my reloading more than I do, but I still ain't too bad. Clothing usually is not a problem as I usually only wear pull overs or Hawaiian style shirts.
Gordie
Old June 13, 2012, 11:08 PM   #3
RBid

I like to create intuitive motion. As such, I draw 5-10 times, each day. It only takes a few minutes to get through the whole process, and it keeps me tuned up.
Old June 14, 2012, 09:20 AM   #4
pax

If you ever need your gun for real, you might need to shoot; you might need a high degree of accuracy; you might need to move while shooting; you might need to reload.

... But if you ever need your gun at all, you will need to get it out in the first place. It's a high priority skill!

pax
Old June 17, 2012, 08:27 AM   #5
swampcrawler

I think this is a very good point. I open cary an HK45 (legal in my state, not old enough to get a cc, nobody pays attention to it) and, as utterly embarrassing as this is, I had never really practiced drawwing and firing. The pistol is a SA/DA, and I don't believe I had ever even fired it DA. While I can put a round into just about anything of reasonable size and distance relativly quickly on sa, it took me over 100 rounds to get the first shot back on my 8 inch plate at 20 yards, and another 100 to be able to get a second shot in SA onto the second plate with any speed. I can't believe I went so long without working on that. Its a nightly thing now.
Old June 18, 2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Deja vu

After reading this post I started practicing more. I almost never practiced the draw until tonight.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old June 18, 2012, 11:13 PM   #7
bamaranger

every day

As I work in uniform, w/ duty belt its there every day. I have for many years, tried to do a few presentations every day. I also do a few mag exchages when practical.

Typically I am off alone at a roadside, wooded area, and do not unload. Step out, streatch, look the area over and if satisfied, do a few reps.
Old June 18, 2012, 11:37 PM   #8
C.O.M.

10-20 times a day.
Old June 19, 2012, 12:27 AM   #9
Glenn Dee

Presenting my fireram?.. Or drawing? Perhaps I have it wrong. I was taught that presenting a firearm was draw, make safe, present for inspection or surrender of the firearm. Drawing was well pulling it for business.

Having said that... How many people here have a standard way of presenting for inspection or surrender of their carry gun?

The instructions as I remember them were.

Draw and present a loaded firearm (pistol/revolver)
Draw unload and present an unloaded firearm
Holster a loaded firearm
Holster an unloaded firearm
Draw a loaded firearm
Draw an unloaded firearm
Draw and load an unloaded firearm and holster.

Of course these were range instructions during training. In the field I've heard "draw and present your firearm". This after a shooting you must surrender your firearm to the crime scene tech's.Or when surrendering your firearm to another officer for safekeeping during prisoner interactions.
Old June 19, 2012, 12:27 PM   #10
BlueTrain

I used to practice when I owned revolvers. I think I was influenced by the old-style trick shooters but I never got anywhere trying to imitate them. By old-style, I mean Jordan. I even used a K-frame S&W, though not a Model 19. Instead, I used a Model 13. I also practiced with the N-frames I had but that was a hopeless exercise. I had a couple of Jordan holsters but normally I used a higher riding holster, not that it was in any way more realistic.

I finally decided that concealed carry with even a 3" barrel K-frame was not as easy as some suggest, so ultimately I gave up with revolvers.

As I've mentioned several times in several threads, I now have only two 9mm DA/SA handguns, both of which work essentially the same. I do practice with them but as far as I'm concerned, the only way I'm going to beat the clock is to get started before it does, while running.

I hate to admit having dropped revolvers a few times but I haven't done that with these automatics, which I suppose is a good thing. I'd also have to say that you'll probably have a problem if you try practicing with both a revolver and an automatic since the dynamics of the handling of two types of guns are different but I'll also give anyone the benefit of the doubt. But at the same time, I really wonder about how necessary a really fast draw is. Hopefully, not very much because in most of the situations I find myself, a fast draw is simply not going to happen.

For example, try it from where you're sitting right now.
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 21, 2012, 08:34 AM   #11
Whirlwind06

I try to do a 3 or 4 draws a day.

Quote:
I really wonder about how necessary a really fast draw is. Hopefully, not very much because in most of the situations I find myself, a fast draw is simply not going to happen.
Seems to me it is not so much how fast you can draw. More building the muscle memory so as not to fumble around in a time of need.
Old June 21, 2012, 09:16 AM   #12
J.R.

I don't practice as much as I need to. With that being said. I practice 10-15 times before I go out armed and when I unarmed at home, I do another 10-15 reps after I safety check the gun.

The range I go to, I am not allowed to draw and present, so it all has to be done at home. I try to, besides the above, every day, but lately it seems to be about once or twice a week. Part of that is because of changing holsters and it changes from holster to holster.
Old June 21, 2012, 09:19 AM   #13
J.R.

Quote:
@Pax ::
If you ever need your gun for real, you might need to shoot; you might need a high degree of accuracy; you might need to move while shooting; you might need to reload.

... But if you ever need your gun at all, you will need to get it out in the first place. It's a high priority skill!
Very well said!
Old June 21, 2012, 02:25 PM   #14
BlueTrain

I think I've mentioned somewhere before that, idealy, you should be able to draw your handgun as smoothly and quickly as your wallet comes out when you're in a gunshop.

Maybe I should carry my gun in my left rear pocket!
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 21, 2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Deaf Smith

Quote:
How often do you practice presenting your weapon?
Per Jeff Cooper. Everytime. From the leather.

Deaf
Old June 21, 2012, 05:31 PM   #16
Edward429451

You have to practice drawing from concealment or there's less value in it. I like to mix it up a little and draw to low ready sometimes and sighted in sometimes. It keeps the brain engaged and keeps it dynamic, just like real life.
Old June 22, 2012, 12:32 AM   #17
27Veer

I try to make 5-20 presentations daily.
Old June 22, 2012, 10:41 AM   #18
Stressfire

My dress tends to vary day to day depending on weather, work or day off, planned activity, etc.

So I try to leave myself time for 10-20 practice draws every morning to familiarize myself with my attire.
Old June 24, 2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Steviewonder1

5 times when I "Suit UP' and another 5 times when getting into Pajammas.