The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 19, 2007, 05:18 PM   #1
piercfh

squirrel anyone?

Since deer season ended in January I've been looking for any excuse to get into the woods and hunt. A big group of my friends decided to put on a squirrel hunting competition, and after we all came to terms the pot was up to 100$. We had 2600 acres to hunt and split into six teams of two. The only rules we had was not to shoot nests with a shotgun, and that you had to use one .22 and one shotgun.

Everone had an awesome time, but not everyone killed squirrels. We only have one weekend of the season left, and for the first time ever I may find myself out on the last day wishing it wasnt over just like deer season.

Heres a picture of my favorite little squirrel rifle and our take for the day.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tbolt.jpg (69.0 KB, 407 views)
Old February 19, 2007, 10:16 PM   #2
banditt007

good work. i hope you guys shared all the meat! even to the guys that didnt bag any.
Old February 19, 2007, 10:57 PM   #3
FrontSight

Awesome! And don't forget - Mepps buys squirrel tails...
Old February 19, 2007, 11:12 PM   #4
robc

Man, that one above the gun is the biggest squirrel I've ever seen!
Old February 20, 2007, 12:51 AM   #5
skeeter1

Nice job!

Brings back fond memories of one squirrel hunt I had ~30 years ago. Mosquito Creek hunting area here in Ohio, and aptly named. After an hour, I was itching all over with mosquito bites. I hiked back to the car and went to a small-town hardware store and got some bug repellent, then went back to hunting. Never did see a squirrel that day, but there were some slob hunters upstream from me who were tossing their beer cans in the river. I ended up shooting those with my .22 rifle. Nothing to take take home for the larder, but it was still better than a day at work.
Old February 20, 2007, 01:53 AM   #6
Csspecs

Just got done eating one of the little rats I bagged this last season, grilled him for about 45 minutes wiping down with a little bit of butter every ten minutes or so to crisp the skin a bit. It did taste good, I just wish I had cooked a few instead of just the one.
Old February 20, 2007, 09:03 AM   #7
dustoff

Scrap, who is this Mepps you mentioned that buys squirrel tails. I do alot of squirrel hunting and we normally end up giving the tails to the dog to play with or simply throw them away. Can you post some info on how to contact these people so that next season I can maybe send them some tails.

Thanks,
Dustoff
Old February 20, 2007, 09:05 AM   #8
sanson

YOU MURDERER
Old February 20, 2007, 09:51 AM   #9
FrontSight

Dustoff - Mepps Fishing Lures

They don't pay all that much - anywhere from 16 to 26 cents depending on the number you send in and their quality - but hey, better than nothing and better than letting them go to waste, or you can get free fishing lures in return instead...

Here's the link:

http://www.mepps.com/mepps/information/squirrels/

Old February 20, 2007, 10:51 AM   #10
piercfh

Well if you consider we won the 100$ pot then each of those tails got us about 10 bucks. Anyone know why I couldnt get the picture to post where you could see it instead of the link. I sure would appreciate the pointer.

We killed 9 of those squirrels after 3pm and shook everyone out of a nest with a vine. None of our buddies shook nests, and probably just shot around them with .22s. Shaking a nest with a vine is definitely the only way to do it, and you dont have to worry about leaving a dead squirrel stuck in the nest.

If anyone gets a chance to take a kid hunting this is perfect for them to cut thier teeth on. It's just soo much fun. I chased squirrels with my dad long before I killed my first deer or turkey. Dont forget to pass it on!

-frank
Old February 20, 2007, 11:27 AM   #11
dustoff

Thanks scrap I will now be saving all the tails off the squirrel I shoot. I'll be hitting up my relatives and freinds as well. I love to fish and like the idea of turning in something that I would waste and getting fishing lures in return.
Old February 20, 2007, 11:38 AM   #12
22-rimfire

Sounds like you had a great weekend. I agree with the rules. I probably would have restricted firearm use to either 22 or shotgun though. I would choose 22. Keeps everything even.