The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 7, 2012, 11:10 PM   #1
PainCakesx

Sad day for Oregon University students...

Disgusting - I'm ashamed to be a part of this university system. I'm not entirely sure this is legal, but all I can say is that I believe in personal safety, policy or not.
It's amazing that these so called scholars can be so incapable of even basic thought processes.

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/...igher_e_7.html

Quote:
Oregon's higher education board unanimously adopted a policy that will ban guns from most corners of campus life at the state's seven universities.

The university system's top priority is campus safety, said Jim Francesconi, member of the State Board of Higher Education, which met Friday for a regular meeting at Portland State University. "That is our job. We are just doing our job."

No one spoke against the policy, which will immediately ban guns from classrooms, buildings, dormitories and sporting and entertainment events.

People who enter business relationships with state universities must agree not to carry guns on campus property. Those include students, employees, contractors, people buying tickets to university events or people renting university property. The policy blunts the victory for gun rights advocates a day earlier in the state Senate, which narrowly rejected Senate Bill 1594, a measure to bar people from carrying guns on a school or college campus.

More
Continuing coverage of efforts by the Oregon State Board of Higher Education to keep guns off Oregon college campuses.The state board policy, however, would not prevent people with concealed weapon permits from walking across a state university campus with a gun. They just couldn't enter any building or arena.

The policy also makes exceptions for police, military programs such as the Reserve Officers' Training Corps, residents in noncampus housing and hunting or target shooting clubs.

Punishment for violating the policy will vary, said George Pernsteiner, chancellor of the Oregon University System. Student violators, for example, would be subject to the conduct code, employees to disciplinary action and contractors to breach of contract.

Phillip Zerzan, public safety director at Portland State University, testified in support of the policy, arguing that guns raise the stakes when students are suicidal, angry, under mental strain or drinking at parties.

"I've witnessed the finality that firearms bring," said Zerzan, who formerly commanded an Oregon State Police area that included Oregon State University. "There are no policies, therapies or do-overs that can repair the damage caused by a gun shot wound."

The Oregon Court of Appeals ruled in September that the board did not have authority to regulate guns through the use of an administrative rule. But the court also said the board has broad control over its property. So the board turned to the policy to keep guns off its campuses.

The board also voted to extend Pernsteiner's contract through June 30, 2014, but is still negotiating terms. Pernsteiner, who has not had a pay raise in four years, earns $280,900 a year plus $12,720 in deferred compensation.
Old March 7, 2012, 11:30 PM   #2
PoorRichRichard

You do realize you share a border with California? Our disease has infected you! Organize a protest walking the border of the campuses with ARs strapt to your backs. Seem to work out okay for Arazonans...
Old March 8, 2012, 02:03 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Why don't you think the new policy is legal?
Old March 8, 2012, 02:41 AM   #4
PainCakesx

The Oregon Legislature has already stated that they have the sole ability to regulate firearms on public property, therefore meaning that the Oregon University System shouldn't, under state law, have the ability to ban guns on their campuses. A lawsuit in September originally forced the OUS to remove it's gun ban. This is their attempt to try and circumvent it. The OFF has already said they're looking closely at the policy and seeing if a lawsuit is in order.

What the OUS is basically saying is that under Oregon law, I can legally carry my gun almost anywhere in the state (aside from federal property and courthouses) including K-12 schools and airports, but can't carry on university property.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...
Old March 8, 2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/...igher_e_7.html

Implies that it is legal given some property rights interpretation.
Old March 8, 2012, 08:18 PM   #6
maestro pistolero

I know I'm asking the obvious. But why, in the equation of balancing public safety, does the ability of law abiding, licensed people to stop a murderous rampage count for exactly zero? It never even gets mentioned as a consideration by folks who are bent on disarming us. It's as if they assume guns are only functional in the hands of murderers.
Old March 8, 2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Pbearperry

Gun free zones crack me up.The liberal mindset is truly flawed.I am going to post a no heart attack/cancer zone sign in my house.Maybe I will live forever?
Old March 8, 2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The Oregon Legislature has already stated that they have the sole ability to regulate firearms on public property,...
And who says this is necessarily legal under Oregon law? It probably is, but has it been challenged in court?

Quote:
therefore meaning that the Oregon University System shouldn't, under state law, have the ability to ban guns on their campuses. A lawsuit in September originally forced the OUS to remove it's gun ban. This is their attempt to try and circumvent it.
It was the court's ruling that paved the way for this, was it not, specifically stating the Board has broad control over its own property?

Quote:
The OFF has already said they're looking closely at the policy and seeing if a lawsuit is in order.
In other words, they rested on their laurels after the last suit and didn't take seriously what the ruling said about the board having control over its own property.

Quote:
It's amazing that these so called scholars can be so incapable of even basic thought processes.
Let's consider this for a moment. You are basically stating that because the Board does not agree with you, that they are incapable of basic thought processes. Sounds to me like they are very capable of thought process as they apparently have outfoxed OFF.

As for being "so called scholars," you are kidding right? Maybe you aren't as you didn't even attend the meeting where this was discussed despite the fact that the meetings are open to the public, http://www.ous.edu/state_board/meeting/notices
or watch the live webcast,
http://www.ous.edu/state_board/meeting/webcast
otherwise you would have been sharing with us your impressions of what happened and not posting a newspaper link. So you apparently aren't clear on what they did exactly and it is obvious you don't even know who the board is.

You meant your comment of "so called scholars" to be pejorative and I understand that. Why are they "so called scholars"? The Board does not refer to themselves (as a group) as scholars. They are administrators. More over, only two of the board members are even doctors. Most are business or civic leaders and are in no way to be confused with scholars and except for the two that actually are, the rest aren't of your mistaken classification.
http://www.ous.edu/state_board/members

Diverse board membership is common with many organizations and is considered beneficial. It helps to keep them from being nepotistic.

Quote:
What the OUS is basically saying is that under Oregon law, I can legally carry my gun almost anywhere in the state (aside from federal property and courthouses) including K-12 schools and airports, but can't carry on university property.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...
It doesn't make sense to you because that isn't what they are saying at all. They have claimed no power over any place other than the Oregon University System properties which is the limit of their control.

Quote:
Disgusting - I'm ashamed to be a part of this university system.
I can understand why given that you have such a limited understanding of the Board, their powers, their members, etc.

Even if it is determined that the Board cannot pass such policy about regarding Oregon properties, they will still be able to disallow the carrying of guns by employees as terms of employment which is definitely an area that they do control, and quite possibly by students as well. It could be that the only people allowed to carry outside of police, military, etc. may be people not affiliated with the OUS such as visitors, parents, contractors, and the like.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; March 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old March 8, 2012, 09:07 PM   #9
oneounceload

DNS - +1

Some folks just don't get it