The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 2, 2014, 08:55 AM   #26
ZeroJunk

Quote:
Another year, I had the same rifle fill up the barrel, because I carried it muzzle-down for a while, in similar conditions, with the muzzle taped up.
I have had that happen as well while riding in the rain with the rifle in the scabbard.

I always used the tape for dust more than anything else. Probably better without anything when it is rainy.
Old November 2, 2014, 10:24 AM   #27
jmr40

Quote:
I have never even considered using anything to protect the end of my rifle/shotgun barrels. How common is this?
Not very common from what I see. In fact I don't think I've ever run across another hunter doing it other than my brother.

I started taping my barrels 40 years ago, but only when hunting in rain. It finally dawned on me that there were other things that could find their way into the muzzle so I just tape up at the beginning of the season and keep it on there until the end. I often backpack into some pretty remote and rugged areas, where falling or dropping a gun has been known to happen.

If I shoot, or actually hunt in the rain it comes off long enough to clean the water off. To the best of my knowledge I've never actually needed it, but it doesn't hurt a thing and is cheap insurance just in case.
Old November 2, 2014, 01:25 PM   #28
ZeroJunk

The only time I use it is while hunting with horses. Twenty miles in, and sometimes five or six miles out of camp and back for eight or nine days. Usually dusty. In and out of a scabbard several times a day.

The stainless barrel on my rifle is actually polished on one side from scabbard rub.

Dust in my mouth, eyes, ears, nose...

So, tape is a good thing.

But, I have never used it around home.
Old November 2, 2014, 08:44 PM   #29
buck460XVR

I don't worry about rain as much as I worry about snow and mud. When hunting in deep snow, it is not hard to inadvertently stick the barrel into a snow bank or have heavy snow on trees drop on you and your firearms and end up with a ice plug in the end. Same goes for mud. I like to hunt in the rain for both deer and turkeys. Heavy rain means mud and more than once I've found a mud plug in my barrel without ever remembering how it could have happened.
Old November 2, 2014, 09:13 PM   #30
Hawg

I don't even cover the muzzle of my muzzle loaders. We don't get much snow here and when we do you won't catch me out hunting in it but I have been caught out in the rain before. Never had a problem.
Old November 3, 2014, 01:00 AM   #31
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Heavy rain means mud and more than once I've found a mud plug in my barrel without ever remembering how it could have happened.
That happened to one of my hunting buddies, about 4-5 years ago.

Three of us were out for a hike after heavy rain and he discovered a mud plug in his barrel, while about 1/2 mile from camp. No one could remember any conditions under which it may have happened, including him. We tried clearing the plug in the woods, but had to head back to camp for the tools.

While one of my brothers was unloading his truck to retrieve the (in hindsight) poorly-placed gun cleaning toolbox, the rifle's owner found some straight barbed wire to work with and discovered that the mud plug was 5-6 inches long.
Before the gun cleaning kit was ever found in the truck, we had the bore swept clean with 550 cord and then a bore-snake that I happened to find in my pack (I didn't know it was there ).

After that, he was a staunch believer in at least a balloon on the muzzle, preferably electrical tape (for him).
Old November 3, 2014, 06:16 PM   #32
Mike / Tx

I have used electrical tape, balloons, and the finger cots. All work well. Lately though when I head out I usually have a pair of those surgical type gloves in my pack. If it starts getting really bad I will just cut off one or two of the fingers and pull one over each end of the scope and maybe one over the barrel.

To be honest when it's really that bad I try to be in the house, but if I am caught out in it, I am more concerned with being able to see what I am shooting, than my barrel getting full of water.
Old November 3, 2014, 06:36 PM   #33
Unlicensed Dremel

plugged bores - take a gander, kiddos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkz_Zuo8g0U
Old November 3, 2014, 09:28 PM   #34
Picher

The tape came in handy today. We had about 6" of snow here yesterday, but it was deeper in the woods. I carry my rifle slung over my left shoulder, muzzle-down. When I had to go under many small trees bent over by the heavy snow, the muzzle hit the snow several times. The electrical tape took care of the problem.
Old November 5, 2014, 11:58 AM   #35
doofus47

black electrical tape
kids party balloons

Either is a 20 cent temp solution that will save you an eye.
Old November 12, 2014, 12:20 PM   #36
bucksnort13

I had never thought about doing this now that I think about I can see how easy it would be to put your barrel in the mud and not notice it. I will probably start putting electrical tape over the end of my barrel this year since it seems to be the preferred choice.
Old November 12, 2014, 12:29 PM   #37
ZeroJunk

One tip, cut it with scissors and do not stretch it. It will Flag as they call it in the electrical trade. Just push it down with your thumb on the ends.
Old November 25, 2014, 12:10 AM   #38
Clark

I have always used scotch tape, until this year, I used blue masking tape.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 25, 2014, 07:12 AM   #39
riflemen

cots do the trick, but I used tape for years, just cut a square press it to the crown and go hunting, I have masking tape, I once used a piece of sticky backed DA sand paper, it was closest to where I was standing, its what I stuck on there.
Old November 30, 2014, 10:17 PM   #40
publius

I use black balloons.
Old December 6, 2014, 05:50 PM   #41
North East Redneck

I always used black electrical tape on my muzzleloaders. One piece over the muzzle and one piece around the barrel to retain the piece covering the muzzle.
Old December 8, 2014, 02:56 PM   #42
thallub

i use muzzleloader rain gear from Traditions:

http://www.basspro.com/Muzzleloading...product/19942/
Old December 14, 2014, 07:35 AM   #43
wild willy

If you hunt in the brush the balloons and finger cots last about five minutes.Always used electric tape.Read somewhere about the finger cots thought the finger cots would be better.Put it on the barrel with a small rubber band first time I checked still there but shredded.