The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 13, 2015, 09:06 AM   #26
CowTowner

I own 3 Vortex scopes. An original Crossfire 6-24x50 on my Savage 16 in 204 Ruger, a Crossfire II 4-16x44 on my Winchester 70 in 7mm WSM and a Viper 6.5-20x44 I just found for my 35 Whelen project.
Both of the Crossfire scopes are better than the Nikon Buckmasters they replaced.
The Viper, which ever you get, will not disappoint.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 13, 2015, 10:39 AM   #27
603Country

Regarding scopes, if the OP is a set and forget scope guy (no turrets), I think Leupold has better scopes (VX3 and above). If turrets are desired, then the lowest price decent scope will be a Vortex. I have the Viper PST 4-16 FFP and like it just fine, but the glass is good but not great. It's certainly good enough. For less than $1k, Leupold has nothing like it.
Old January 13, 2015, 10:50 PM   #28
Cowboyboots

I own 4 Vortex Viper H S, haven't narrowed down to a favorite, but they all function like they are supposed to..Mine are 4-16x44's, and one is 6-20x44, dupex reticles on two, VMR1, and BDC on another...
A Leupold in these scopes category, would be another 150.0- 200.00.... But they are super nice too...

Hooligan thanks for the details on the Viper, with the price that I found on the CZ there is a few extra $'s which I can use to upgrade to the base level Viper. Do you have any details on just this model?

I own 3 Vortex scopes. An original Crossfire 6-24x50 on my Savage 16 in 204 Ruger, a Crossfire II 4-16x44 on my Winchester 70 in 7mm WSM and a Viper 6.5-20x44 I just found for my 35 Whelen project.
Both of the Crossfire scopes are better than the Nikon Buckmasters they replaced.
The Viper, which ever you get, will not disappoint.

CowTowner thanks for the details on the Crossfire scopes, do you have just the base model Viper?

Regarding scopes, if the OP is a set and forget scope guy (no turrets), I think Leupold has better scopes (VX3 and above). If turrets are desired, then the lowest price decent scope will be a Vortex. I have the Viper PST 4-16 FFP and like it just fine, but the glass is good but not great. It's certainly good enough. For less than $1k, Leupold has nothing like it.

603 thanks for the suggestion between Leupold and Vortex. I am looking for an adaptable scope and with that am leaning towards Vortex. Right now I am trying to make the decision between a Diamondback HP and basic Viper.
Old January 14, 2015, 06:35 AM   #29
hooligan1

Cowboyboots go to the Vortex website and check out all the coolness.
Old January 14, 2015, 08:37 AM   #30
MrBorland

I'm a fan of the CZ452 rimfires, so I picked up a 550 (in 6.5 Swede). It's a fine rifle, but I ended up selling it for a number of reasons.

First, the length of pull was a little long, so it just didn't fit as well as I would've liked. Rifles like Winchester M70, Tikka and Sako have shorter LOPs and fit me much better.

Secondly, for a hunting rifle, I prefer a 3-position safety, but the CZ has a 2-position safety.

Finally, it's a fairly heavy rifle. The weight helps absorb recoil, but the 6.5Swede isn't a heavily recoiling round in the first place. More generally, though, the rifle just felt a little sluggish to handle, and I didn't like the balance.
Old January 15, 2015, 01:05 AM   #31
Cowboyboots

Cowboyboots go to the Vortex website and check out all the coolness.

Hooligan I have been and think I have tied down the scope I am looking at, the Diamondback HP but still deciding on the what zoom I want. Just trying to get all experience out there about these products.

I'm a fan of the CZ452 rimfires, so I picked up a 550 (in 6.5 Swede). It's a fine rifle, but I ended up selling it for a number of reasons.

First, the length of pull was a little long, so it just didn't fit as well as I would've liked. Rifles like Winchester M70, Tikka and Sako have shorter LOPs and fit me much better.

Secondly, for a hunting rifle, I prefer a 3-position safety, but the CZ has a 2-position safety.

Finally, it's a fairly heavy rifle. The weight helps absorb recoil, but the 6.5Swede isn't a heavily recoiling round in the first place. More generally, though, the rifle just felt a little sluggish to handle, and I didn't like the balance.

Borland thanks for your experience with CZ, I also have a 452 and was partially basing this purchase of the results from that rifle.