The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 9, 2010, 05:43 PM   #1
kx592

500 slug gun sighting in

Well shot Winchester, berkenkee(sp*)K.O's, and Remington buck hammer/copper solids..Now i use a Bushnell 4x scope (cheap one) and sighting in at 35 yards. I have some good luck with the copper solids, although I get a weird one once in awhile, is that normal? Also since its considered a cheap scope is it still dependable for deer under 50yards? Also for people who have the 500 slug barrel whats your barrel prefer for slug brand?
Old July 9, 2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Deerhunter

Try the Hornaday SSTs. They are a little pricey but shoot great. I shoot them out of my 870. My buddy shoots them out of his Mossberg. We both really like them.
Old July 9, 2010, 07:15 PM   #3

Is your slug barrel rifled?

If so, then I like Winchester Partition Golds. I find them to be accurate, fairly flat shooting for a slug, and generally they "open a can" on Mr. Whitetail. I have spent the better part of 25 years hunting the shotgun zone of southern Michigan. I have dropped numerous deer with both 20 and 12 guages.....good stuff. I don't remember if they are offered in 3" mags but, if they are don't bother. The 2 3/4" will punish your shoulder quite well when practicing. In hunting situations, you won't feel the kick.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.