The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 20, 2010, 01:33 AM   #1
sTimoral

Took my Mossberg 500 out to the range!

Felt good man.....

It was my first time shootin it.

Is there anyone who can recommend me a good website, or place i can go to buy a cleaning kit for the shotgun?

Also, the ammunition i used was sportload 7 1/2... Is that an ok size for skeet shooting? ......

If you guys have any tips on cleaning or anything else let me know!
Old March 20, 2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Mossy500

Nice, i love my 500. for the cleaning kit, i just went to walmart and found a universal kit that fit all my guns for about $10.
most people use 7 1/2 - 8 shot for skeet and trap shooting. pattern your shotgun with both, in mine 7 1/2 has better patterns, at least with the ammo i use.

"Its only illegal if you get caught"
Old March 20, 2010, 10:19 AM   #3
riggins_83

I'd either get a Tipton rod or a bore snake for it. Far as oil be sure not to overlube it. Use something that won't cling too badly (such as Shooters Choice FP10).

There's a great video on youtube for takedown and reassembly of the 500-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV6oIcCQjj8
Old March 20, 2010, 11:05 AM   #4
zippy13

Experienced shooters, who are looking to maximize their scores, typically use:
  • # 7 1/2 shot for trap (the the largest size allowed by the rules) or
  • # 9 shot for Skeet (the smallest allowed for skeet).

Mossy500's remark about shot size seems based in inexperience. Skeet targets are close-in crossing shots where you want to put as many pellets in their paths as possible (# 9s). In trap, the targets are broken at a greater distance so larger shot (# 7 1/2) is needed to reach out to them. The smaller Skeet pellets will lose energy before reaching the trap target. Of course, you can use you whatever you want (many clubs limit you to no shot larger than #7 1/2 for safety reasons).

Look at it this way: if you use #7 1/2 shot for skeet you're putting out roughly 338 pellets per 1 1/8-oz load of shot, with # 9s your pellet count goes up to 658. That's almost double the number of chances of breaking the target. Also, Skeet and trap target grade ammo will have higher quality components (specifically the quality of the shot) than the bargain promotional "sport" ammo. You get what you pay for.
Old March 20, 2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Mossy500

ok, well in this area of Washington, few places even sell #9 shot, 95% of sporting or target loads sold are 7 1/2 or 8

Old March 20, 2010, 11:35 AM   #6
noyes

Quote:
pattern your shotgun with both, in mine 7 1/2 has better patterns, at least with the ammo i use.
Sounds right to me.
Old March 20, 2010, 11:40 AM   #7
KMO

Here's another good short video on the field strip for the 500...The ease of disassembly/reassembly is one of the reasons I own a Mossberg.

http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx

(Oh, and you should have purchased an 870. Now, no one else has to post that obligatory remark...)
Old March 20, 2010, 12:45 PM   #8
zippy13

Mossy500
Quote:
ok, well in this area of Washington, few places even sell #9 shot, 95% of sporting or target loads sold are 7 1/2 or 8
If your clay target experience has been at Kenmore or Granite Falls, or any other club that doesn't have a Skeet field, I'm not surprised they don't use/sell #9s. If you want to try some Skeet, my friend, BigJimP is in your corner of the world and I'm sure he'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

noyes
Quote:
Quote:
pattern your shotgun with both, in mine 7 1/2 has better patterns, at least with the ammo i use.
Sounds right to me.
If you were evaluating a field round for 40-yard performance I'd concur. But, with target ammo patterning needs to be done with the appropriate choke at the anticipated target distance. Next time you're patterning, try some #9s with a Skeet choke at about 25-yards.
Old March 20, 2010, 11:16 PM   #9
noyes

Lately I've been using #6 shot one oz. loads . Occasionally I use #7 1/2 one and 1/8 loads ( it does make it much easier with more pellets). . Next I will be switching to #5 or #4 1oz. loads. I like to make it more challenging for myself. Working down to 00 or 000 buck . ( working on a safer shooting site for that load). For busting clays.

Last edited by noyes; March 20, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old March 21, 2010, 02:15 AM   #10
SigP6Carry

Honestly? I clean my Mossberg barrel with a OB normal flow tampon with Hoppes #9 to clean my barrel. It's a bit silly when I go to Meijer and buy two boxes of 9mm and a box of tampons, but... my barrel is mirror clean. Other than that: a Hoppes cleaning kit.
Old March 21, 2010, 03:35 AM   #11
Lavid2002

Bore snake, a rag, some oil/grease is all I use. Its a shotgun not a rifle. A dirty barrel wont have the same effect as it would on a rifle. Bore snake it to clean it, wipe the action clean maybe use some CLP if you need to....grease the operating rods, locking lug, and all other contact points. Slap it together and go bang bang : )
Old March 21, 2010, 10:37 AM   #12
oletymer

Mossy500, try the Bimart stores. They always have them here. Of course I live on the east side of the Cascades where shooting sports are common. I realize the west side is like California North.
Old March 21, 2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Mossy500

just looked at the bimart store locator. the closest store to me is east wenatchee.. and thats about 130 miles from here.. thanks for the advise though

Old March 21, 2010, 12:53 PM   #14
zippy13

Mossy500,
Have you been to new Cabelas in Lacey? It's a little closer. They might not have exactly what you want, but they'll have something that's close enough.
Good luck, Z
Old March 21, 2010, 11:10 PM   #15
sTimoral

Just thought i'de share a pic of the shotty....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy500
i just went to walmart and found a universal kit that fit all my guns for about $10.
Just got back from Wal-Mart bought some items...

Bought this ammo for bout $23 dollars

pretty good deal, i also bought this shotgun cleaning kit

Guys is this cleaning kit sufficient enough for my Mossberg 500? I'm not even sure how to clean it with that stuff... Please add your thoughts and comments on this... Thanks
Old March 22, 2010, 12:23 AM   #16
SigP6Carry

Hey, I got that ammo, too! Works pretty well, and it's clean. No duds, shoots straight, works well with a full choke and not too bad on the shoulder. I also have that shotgun! Except mine had wood instead of synthetic. It's so strange to see synthetic on a 28" barrel.

Kudos and beautiful.