The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 24, 2008, 07:43 PM   #1
RDF

Electronic Hearing Protectors

Hi
Which are better the Dillon HP1 or the Peltor 7S earmuffs? I've never own electronic earmuffs and wanting to get a good pair.
Old January 24, 2008, 07:47 PM   #2
hoytinak

I'd like to get on this thread to as I'm currently looking into some electronic hearing protect myself.
Old January 24, 2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Jermtheory

Sordins are supposed to be the best($300 range),the Peltor Comtec's are a little less i think and said to be good.

if you wanna go cheap i'd look at the Howard Leight's...

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0044358228573a.shtml

It's been fun(in part).
Old January 24, 2008, 11:57 PM   #4
skeeter1

All depends on your budget

I've got some cheap Caldwell protectors,

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/38620-46371-966.html

They're not great (I don't like the lag time between when there's a shot and they come back "on-line", about 2 seconds), but they are supposed to reduce noise by 27db and only cost twenty bucks.

Some day I'll get some better ones (probably Peltors), but in the meanwhile, these are better than the passive hearing protectors I was using before.
Old January 25, 2008, 02:58 AM   #5
computerguysd

According to my audiologist at the VA, without hearing aids I'm legally deaf. Appearently, my ears don't feel pain from loud noises and since the plugs the Army had in the early '70s would "pop out" of my ears and things like claymores, M-16s and grenades didn't bother me (as far as my hearing goes - lol), I just didn't wear them.

I've got Peltior muffs that are about 10 years old now that work great for me. I can wear my hearing aids with the muffs and carry on conversations with my shooting buddies at an active indoor range! They only "clip" at the point of fire and the response back to amplification is almost unnoticable, to me.

They have an adjustable volume switch that allows me to max volume on the range and lower it if I go into the store to get extra ammo or targets. I actually hear better with hearing aids and my muffs than I do with hearing aids alone.

I've been sold on Peltior for a long time!
Old January 26, 2008, 12:33 AM   #6
chris in va

Watch for a few features.

The NRR rating is important. Some of these slim profile muffs are only rated to about NRR22, which IMO is not adequate especially indoors. You'll want to use plugs with these.

Also as mentioned before, some of the cheaper muffs completely cut all mic sound, while the costlier ones actually just reduce the shot noise but still allow normal conversation.

Some only have two mic's and don't give much dimensionality to where sounds actually come from. For example I borrowed my friend's Peltors one day, and I simply couldn't tell where the person behind me was actually at. Not too big a deal but irritating anyway.
Old January 26, 2008, 02:54 PM   #7
KCabbage

Hey everyone.

Would these babies be good for home defense. I noticed some have surround sound(multiple speakers) and emitts front and back audio.

Take care
Old January 26, 2008, 04:15 PM   #8
Jermtheory

Quote:
Would these babies be good for home defense.
im assuming you mean in general since you didnt mention a specific pair?

i think so.

amplified sounds with hearing protection...sounds win-win.

i would be sure to buy quality for that purpose though.

It's been fun(in part).
Old January 26, 2008, 05:13 PM   #9
Texas Armadillo

I have had the Sordin IV for a couple of years now. They work great. Excellent clamping on loud sounds and good microphones to pic up ambient sounds and voices. Long battery life, auto off, watertight battery compartment, shaped to allow good cheek welds... good stuff.

http://www.csuk.us/sup_pro4.php#cutoff
Old January 26, 2008, 06:07 PM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Some only have two mic's and don't give much dimensionality to where sounds actually come from. For example I borrowed my friend's Peltors one day, and I simply couldn't tell where the person behind me was actually at.
They are not the 7s asked about, but I don't have spatial dimension problems with my Comtacs. They work very well and I know where sounds come from.

We double up as well. I wear NRR32 plugs with the Comtacs and usually have the volume on HIGH so that regular noises sound about like regular noises so as to get through the plugs.
Old January 31, 2008, 09:09 AM   #11
Rinspeed

I'm very happy with my Pro-Ears. There was a group buy at the Sig Forum for the Sordins. I'm not sure if it closed or not but the price was very good.
Old February 3, 2008, 10:29 AM   #12
D FAR

Muffs

I sell a ton of Howard Leight Sport Impacts, they are thin, fold up, battery life is fantastic, and they are some of the least expensive muffs I have.

Can't keep them in stock.

Darin

Connecticut Firearms & Tactical

[email protected]

203 907-9571

[email protected]