The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 21, 2015, 07:11 PM   #1
kuca_2004

REMINGTON 760 .300 Savage (correction from my previous 7600 thread)

This gun belongs to a guy I hunt with. he informed me now that it is the Gamemaster 760 model. So now how rare is it? whats it worth? hes debating about selling it.
Old January 21, 2015, 08:43 PM   #2
Keg

I see one every once in a while...I saw a nice one at a gun show the other day....I think it would be cool to have that caliber....I have a 760 carbine in 308....I'll never part with it....Does the 300 have the fancy checked stock?
Old January 21, 2015, 09:26 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

A lot less than what searching the web for 7600's in 300 Savage turned up. Looks closer to the $500 range because they aren't as rare.

Remington did make the 7600 in 300 Savage unless the people at Cabela's are telling a lie!
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remin...of/1887165.uts
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 21, 2015, 10:24 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Ok, you started a new thread. Not a big deal. In the future just ask a mod to modify the title for you.

I've seen .300s going to between $350 and $600, depending on condition and location.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 22, 2015, 12:41 AM   #5
tahoe2

300 Savage

Is a great round and beautifully suited to that slide (pump) action, $300-$600 depending on condition, seems to be the right price around here. I'm the third generation with my 300, and I love it.
Old January 22, 2015, 09:22 AM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Rarity doesn't always garner more money. Especially with a model of rifle that's still being built to this day. Little pump Remingtons will last a life time if properly cared for. But its 300 Sav caliber is a cartridge soon to be considered obsolete unless Savage reintroduces/reproduces their model 99 lever again. Which I highly doubt Savage Arms will do as hunting tactics have changed over the years. So sir. A rifle requiring obsolete ammo (no longer made) may have some collectors value but to a everyday (non-hand loading) one hunting rifle only sportsman. In his possession such a weapon becomes useless. As of this day 300 Savage ammo is still being marketed only because there are a whole lot of rifles using it still in existence. But for how long? That's the $69.00 question of the day. BTW I myself have never owned a 760. But a young fellow I know quite well does. He wouldn't part with his rifle for any reason and has taken quite a few deer with his. But I have to say that little 308 pump he has is one of the noisiest rifles to carry in/thru the woods I have ever encountered. But no matter as it shoots damm good for him and that's all that really matters. FWIW if you like the rifle your friend has and he's willing to sell it for a fair & reasonable price. Buy it!!
Old January 22, 2015, 09:48 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

"But its 300 Sav caliber is a cartridge soon to be considered obsolete unless Savage reintroduces/reproduces their model 99 lever again."

People were predicting that 40 years ago, and it's still not come to pass.

Given the sheer number of rifles chambered in .300 Savage it's going to be a cartridge that is loaded by the big makers for a LONG time.

After all, the .303 Savage last was chambered in the 1920s or 1930s, and was only ever chambered in the Savage 99, and it wasn't dropped from production until the 1990s.

And guess what? Loaded .303 rounds are being cataloged again.

When were the last rifles chambered for .30-40 Krag before Ruger decided to resurrect the dead with a few thousand rifles... Around World War I?

That cartridge is still in production.

Hell, you can still get .348 Winchester ammunition.

It can take a LONG time for a cartridge's sales to fall to the point where it's no longer viable.

I won't be around to see it, but I would not at all be surprised were the .300 Savage to still be a factory ammunition offering in 2100.

Old January 22, 2015, 11:41 AM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

[QUOTEIt can take a LONG time for a cartridge's sales to fall to the point where it's no longer viable. QUOTE]

Your quote Sir. That's very true. But as seen in the past all it takes is one major American manufacture to stop making or make such ammo seasonal production only. As in past examples all the other American manufactures will follow suit shortly there after. "If your the one left wanting. Seasonal made has about the same impact as obsolescence."
Old January 22, 2015, 12:13 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

"But as seen in the past all it takes is one major American manufacture to stop making or make such ammo seasonal production only."

Industry definition of an obsolete cartridge is one that a company no longer manufacturers. And they don't even use the term obsolete. They call it "subject to available stock" when manufacturing ceases and "unstocked" when it's no longer carried on the company's inventory.

Seasonal production does not mean that a cartridge is obsolete. It just means that you may not be able to get your hands on any any time soon.

That's really no much different from the several year stretch we're just coming out of, when even cartridges that are made every day of the year were neigh on impossible to get.

"As in past examples all the other American manufactures will follow suit shortly there after."

Yeah....

They may, but chances are rather exceptional that they won't.

Each manufacturer makes the decision of when to drop a cartridge based on their own internal profit/loss projections. Ammunition production and sales aren't some cabal where when one tips all of the dominos quickly fall.

Winchester only recently dropped the .348 Winchester cartridge. Federal and Remington dropped it DECADES ago.

Remington still manufacturers .38 Short Colt ammunition. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they have been the only major manufacturer of that cartridge since World War II.

I guess Remington didn't get Winchester's memo to drop the cartridge, and neither got Federal's memo saying that they were no how, no way, never ever going to load it in the first place.

Old January 22, 2015, 07:50 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Seasonal production does not mean that a cartridge is obsolete. It just means that you may not be able to get your hands on any any time soon.
Thank you Sir for the clarity between obsolescence & seasonal.
Old January 22, 2015, 08:25 PM   #11
Blindstitch

Either way Seasonal production sucks.

During the shortage it was near impossible to feed my 30-40 krag unless I was willing to pay $60 a box. That's a lot to pay for a 114 year old rifle. I've still only seen 20 or so boxes of shells on the shelf in the last year.

If someone really wants a 300 savage they will stock up on ammo, learn to reload or find other options.
Old January 22, 2015, 10:21 PM   #12
math teacher

Many cartridges, bullets, cases, etc. are manufactured seasonally. It does not pay to tie up their equipment running these items all the time. Instead they run a large batch, and in normal times store them in a warehouse, distributing them throughout the year. I doubt any warehouses have been too full lately. I waited for almost a year to get some 8mm Nosler Accubonds. Suddenly they are all over the place. Obviously Nosler did a run recently.
Old January 23, 2015, 09:23 AM   #13
CowTowner

Quote:
I waited for almost a year to get some 8mm Nosler Accubonds. Suddenly they are all over the place. Obviously Nosler did a run recently.
I agree. I just recently found Accubonds for the 35 Whelen available.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 23, 2015, 09:40 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Thank you Sir for the clarity between obsolescence & seasonal."

Obsolescence, obsolete, obsolescent are very nuanced terms, and can be confusing, especialy when used in a left-handed sort of way that the ammo industry can approach the process.

Obsolete is the easiest to understand, and lines up nicely with "out of production." the .41 Rimfire is a good example of an obsolete cartridge. Guns haven't been manufactured for it for decades, and other than a few special runs, neither have cartridges.

Obsolescent/Obsolescence means that the cartridge is dying out. There are a lot of cartridges that are obsolecent, yet they're still manufactured. This is most analagous to cartridges that are classed seasonal production. Generally, guns for obsolescent cartridges are no longer manufactured but are readily available, which means the cartridge can remain in a state of obsolescent for literally decades while also remaining perfectly financially viable.

.300 Savage, .250 Savage, .32 S&W, .38 S&W (and so many more) have been surpassed by other chamberings and are slowly losing the popularity they once had, but people still want the ammo to supply the many guns that are still out there.

One of the neatest aspects of our sport is that a cartridge that's been obsolete for literally decades, with no firearms or ammo production, can spring back to life.

The biggest generator of the "old is new again" phenemon (sp?) has been, in my opinion, Cowboy Action Shooting.

.41 Short and Long Colt, .38 Long Colt, .44 Colt, .44 Russian, .45 Schofield, are all cartridges that were obsolete, but which are now seeing at least limited production, all to meet the needs of the CAAS people.

Hell, there have even been some new guns chambered in .44 Russian and .45 Schofield in the past decade or so, which is astounding considering that neither one of them survived in new guns in the production upheaval caused by World War I

Old January 23, 2015, 09:52 AM   #15
jimbob86

Quote:
During the shortage it was near impossible to feed my 30-40 krag unless I was willing to pay $60 a box. That's a lot to pay for a 114 year old rifle. I've still only seen 20 or so boxes of shells on the shelf in the last year.
For the price of two boxes of $60/box ammo, you could buy a buy a press kit and dies ..... .308" diameter bullets suitable for the 30-40 Krag will be common as corn so long as the .30/30 and 30-06 are around. Cases for the Krag will last a very long time if not abused .... and in a pinch, I think you could probably form them from .303 British or .220 Swift.

You want to actually shoot uncommon cartridges (as opposed to just having them around as a collectors' item/curio)? Load your own.

On a tangent- I wonder if the proliferation of handloading (certainly propelled by the Information Age) is going to speed the demise of factroy ammo for oddball cartridges?
Old January 23, 2015, 10:07 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

"On a tangent- I wonder if the proliferation of handloading (certainly propelled by the Information Age) is going to speed the demise of factroy ammo for oddball cartridges?"

That's a very interesting question, one I've not thought of before.

I also don't have any information on how handloading has grown/contracted since World War II.

I think what would be a factor is the increasing availability of high quality brass from makers other than the big three. I could see availability of brass having an impact of factory ammo for marginal cartridges.

Old January 23, 2015, 10:29 AM   #17
jimbob86

Quote:
"On a tangent- I wonder if the proliferation of handloading (certainly propelled by the Information Age) is going to speed the demise of factroy ammo for oddball cartridges?"

That's a very interesting question, one I've not thought of before.

I also don't have any information on how handloading has grown/contracted since World War II.

I think what would be a factor is the increasing availability of high quality brass from makers other than the big three. I could see availability of brass having an impact of factory ammo for marginal cartridges.
I's going to start a new thread, so as to not hijack this one .....
Old January 23, 2015, 01:55 PM   #18
Blindstitch

Quote:
For the price of two boxes of $60/box ammo, you could buy a buy a press kit and dies ..... .308" diameter bullets suitable for the 30-40 Krag will be common as corn so long as the .30/30 and 30-06 are around. Cases for the Krag will last a very long time if not abused .... and in a pinch, I think you could probably form them from .303 British or .220 Swift.
jimbob86,
I do reload for it and I do save 303 brass for that horrible rainy day. But when brass doesn't exist reloading gets hard.

It's like when the soldiers brought back Type 99 Arisakas. Eventually they learned it could be formed from 30-06. But until then it was a wall hanger. Now privi makes brass for it at 50 cents a piece.
Old January 24, 2015, 08:24 AM   #19
Jack O'Conner

Send me the first four digits of the serial number and I'll look up the manufacture date for you.

The 760 is a very well made rifle and widely popular in my home state of Pennsylvania. Some call it an "Amish machine gun." The 7600 is an improved version with some changes to the bolt and magazine.

Jack