The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 12, 2014, 09:03 PM   #1
Carolina Kalash

Looking to get a new bolt action hunting rifle in a few months, what should I get?

In a few months, I'll be in the market for a new (or maybe used if it's like new and a good price) bolt action hunting rifle. I've looked around online a bit, mostly at the Remington 700, Winchester M70, Tikka T3, Ruger M77, Browing A-Bolt, CZ 550, Zastava M70, or some type of Mauser Sporter (as in, a Mauser factory built as a hunting rifle, not a Bubba'ed milsurp)

What I'm after:
-Bolt action
-No more (or at least not much more) $1000 after getting a good scope and rings if needed
-Comes in standard calibers, anywhere from .243 up to .300 Win Mag
-Good Accuracy, preferably out of the box
-Durable
-Reliable ejection and feeding
-Smooth action for faster followup shots if needed
-Detachable mag or hinge plate
-Visually appealing
-Comes in either Blued or parkerized w/ wood stock, or Stainless w/ synthetic or wood stock (Don't much care for blued w/ synthetic)
-Nice trigger out of the box or easily adjustable
-To be a good quality, well made rifle
-Would like controlled feed w/ Mauser claw extracter, but is by no means a deal breaker if it's push feed.

What I DON'T want:
-No budget rifles i.e. Remington 783 or 770, Savage Axis, etc.
-No blind magazines
-No sporterized milsurps

I don't care one way or the other if it is/has:
-3 position saftey w/ bolt lock
-Made in USA or import
-Iron sights
-Raised cheekweld

What do you fellow hunters and riflemen alike think?

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63
Old November 12, 2014, 09:21 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

People are going to ask you what you plan to hunt, predicted distances to be shot, etc.

Without knowing these things I'll just say that there isn't much you can't take with a .308 caliber rifle, or a .30-06.

As to what particular rifle, I chose a Savage 110 in .30-06. Accurate out of the box (3 inch groups/200 yds. with factory ammo), came with adjustable 'accu-trigger,' that I dropped down to about 2.5 lbs., slick bolt, internal 5 rd. mag (I know you said you'd rather have a detachable, I'm just letting you know what I decided when I was where you are now). Very durable and reliable.

I paid about $350. I think now they go for around $500. Not terribly pretty with the synthetic stock, but the model 10 can be had with a decent wood stock.

That still leaves you with about $400 for a scope/rings.
Old November 12, 2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Carolina Kalash

Quote:
(I know you said you'd rather have a detachable, I'm just letting you know what I decided when I was where you are now)
Detatchable or hinge plate works for me, just don't want blind magazines

Quote:
People are going to ask you what you plan to hunt, predicted distances to be shot, etc.
Hunting mostly whitetails and I will shoot a coyote if I see one. Absolute max range would probably be about 200yds.

I had a Savage 111 in .300 Win Mag a number of years ago. I'll agree with it's reputation for accuracy, but that was about the only thing I liked about it.

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63
Old November 13, 2014, 03:06 AM   #4
Pathfinder45

I like the Winchester model 70 Classic Sporter, blued steel, real Walnut, CRF, 270 Winchester. Look for a lightly used one, then a used Leupold 3-9×40, leather military rifle sling and call it good. The warranties don't run out on Leupolds.
Old November 13, 2014, 04:55 AM   #5
Blindstitch

I second pathfinder45 but there are a lot of options open to you.

I like the remington 700 but every time I pick one of the newer ones up that sat for some time it looks like the carpeting melted in to the recoil pad. Must have seen 5 or 6 at gander mountain the other day all like this.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534889
Old November 13, 2014, 06:35 AM   #6
mxsailor803

I'd recommend a older Remington 700 BDL(90's or older). I've been using the ADL version since about '94 for SC whitetail. Only thing I've done to the rifle was swap in a Shilen trigger (highly recommend).
Old November 13, 2014, 08:13 AM   #7
hooligan1

Weather Warrrior, 116 in 7 mm,rem mag..,
Adjustable trigger, stainless. Accustock.
Old November 13, 2014, 08:36 AM   #8
Doyle

If you want a short, lightweight tree-stand type rifle look for a used Remington Model 7. They will be several inches shorter and a pound or so lighter than their big brother the 700. You'll have to go used though to get within your budget.
Old November 13, 2014, 09:25 PM   #9
Cowboy_mo

Weatherby Vanguard S2 in .270 Win or .30-06 should just "fit your pistol".

Out of the box accuracy, stock with raised cheek weld, etc. etc. The rifles run under $500 which leaves you $500 for bases, rings, and a very good scope.
Old November 13, 2014, 10:21 PM   #10
Carolina Kalash

Quote:
Weatherby Vanguard S2 in .270 Win or .30-06 should just "fit your pistol".

Out of the box accuracy, stock with raised cheek weld, etc. etc. The rifles run under $500 which leaves you $500 for bases, rings, and a very good scope.
That's one that I'm seriously considering, because of it's out of the box accuracy and reasonable price like you mentioned, and I like the way the new OD green and black gripped synth stock on the series II looks good w/ blued or stainless, although I still like the look of walnut too.

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63
Old November 13, 2014, 10:22 PM   #11
Buzzcook

Hunting deer under 200yds: Any modern rifle will do that. At that range any of the standard hunting rounds from .243win on up will do fine.

$1000 with scope. That might be a problem. Most people will recommend a scope in the $300 range, that will limit you on some of the rifles that are close to 1k such as the Winchester Model 70.
But the 200yd maximum means a relatively inexpensive Weaver K-4 will work fine.

Try rifles on for size, the one that fits best is the one for you.
Old November 14, 2014, 05:34 AM   #12
NHSHOOTER

I will second that Weatherby vanguard 2, I have one in 243 which I will be taking to SC in a couple weeks to hunt whitetails, It is a well put together rifle, excellent 2 stage trigger and it drives tacks right out of the box. I handload for it and I am getting 1" groups at 200 yds with 85 gr HPBT sierra bullets.
Old November 14, 2014, 11:52 AM   #13
AllenJ

Of those that you mentioned I've owned or own Ruger M77 Mark II (same as Hawkeye), Remington 700, and Browning A-Bolt. All were/are great off the shelf rifles. The Remington was hands down the most accurate, the Ruger had the smoothest action IMO, and the A-Bolt was just a nice all around rifle. I can't say anything bad about any of them. I also have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in .243 Winchester and it is amazingly accurate. My first trip out with it I shot a .250" three shot group and have duplicated that many times since. My only misgiving with that rifle is it's a little heavier than other rifles in it's class. If weight matters to you that would be a concern. With the many choices that you list though I think I would wait for the best sale and take advantage of it. As Buzzcook said, any modern bolt action rifle is going to do what is sounds like you need. Save all you can and put the best optics on it that you can afford.
Old November 14, 2014, 12:40 PM   #14
Carolina Kalash

Quote:
I also have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in .243 Winchester and it is amazingly accurate. My first trip out with it I shot a .250" three shot group and have duplicated that many times since. My only misgiving with that rifle is it's a little heavier than other rifles in it's class. If weight matters to you that would be a concern. With the many choices that you list though I think I would wait for the best sale and take advantage of it. As Buzzcook said, any modern bolt action rifle is going to do what is sounds like you need. Save all you can and put the best optics on it that you can afford.
Weight dosen't bother me to much, I'm sure there's aftermarket stocks that could help with that, but I don't mind rifles that are a little on the heavy side anyway. The Weatherby Vanguard S2 is what I'm leaning towards right now.

Proud owner of:
-WASR 10/63
Old November 16, 2014, 12:12 AM   #15
Colorado Redneck

Would you do a Savage?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Model: 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP

This isn't a Savage Axis. Has a detachable box mag. Already has a scope and rings. Savage rifles have a good rep for out of the box accuracy. I personally would take a Savage over a Remington any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old November 16, 2014, 01:02 PM   #16
feets

What's wrong with a Ruger American in 243? You can drop a good Nikon scope on the rifle and be hunting under $700.

Yes, it's a "budget" rifle but one that reviews well and has proven to be just as accurate as the much higher priced guns. It's light and easy to pack. Big bonus there. I'm considering picking one up in 22-250 just to have a little fun.

I'd be hesitant to carry my Remington 700 Sendero afield because it's way too much weight and bulk to hump around.
Old November 16, 2014, 04:02 PM   #17
jersurf101

I have and older walnut stocked Weatherby Vanguard that has been my go to deer rifle for 20 plus years. They are HEAVY. For years I did not understand how people took offhand shots with a scoped rifle, until I realized just how heavy the Weatherby is. The rifle will hold 1/4 MOA with the right loads and me doing my part. Now I have a Savage 11 trophy xp .308 as well and its a great brush or spot and stalk gun. The bolt is butter smooth and it is well balanced. The best I can get the rifle to average is about 1.5 MOA. Fine for normal hunting ranges but if I know I am shooting 200 plus yards I grab the Weatherby every time.
Old November 17, 2014, 10:54 AM   #18
Deerhunter

Can't go wrong with a Remington 700. Well you can if you pick up a brand new one. They sure don't make them like they did even 15 years ago. I had the floor plate taken out and changed over to a magazine on mine last year and it is awesome
Old November 17, 2014, 11:05 AM   #19
AllenJ

Quote:
Weight dosen't bother me to much, I'm sure there's aftermarket stocks that could help with that, but I don't mind rifles that are a little on the heavy side anyway. The Weatherby Vanguard S2 is what I'm leaning towards right now.
When I was looking at rifles the S2 did not even interest me, the sales person had to talk me into just holding one at the store. I 'm sure glad I listened to him, I found it had some really nice features and the trigger was just down right impressive. After I got my S2 I told a friend about it and he got one in 270WSM. His is also extremely accurate. He regularly shoots sub MOA 3 shot groups using Federal Premium ammo and his reloads.
Old November 17, 2014, 03:11 PM   #20
T. O'Heir

One commercial hunting rifle is pretty much the same as the next(they bore me to tears.). And your list describes any commercial hunting rifle. You can buy entirely based on price without any fuss.
However, a grand with sights limits your options. So does "Mauser claw extractor".
Hard to beat a Savage anything for out of the box accuracy. Their package rifles are the same as those that do not come with the low end scope. Said scope can be changed whenever you feel like it.
Old November 19, 2014, 03:53 PM   #21
Jack O'Conner

I'm a big fan of traditional walnut for the stock. CZ makes a good rifle for the price.

Jack
Old November 20, 2014, 06:41 AM   #22
hooligan1

You need to travel to Dallas, and shop Academy Sports, Huffmanite says they have Zastava mausers for 350.00. If I only lived closer...