The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Beentown71

Recommend me a case prep tool/system...

Newb alert...

I am going to be loading 9mm, .223rem and 308win. I am looking into my options when it comes to trimming. Most of my rifle brass is crimped (Lake City) and I would like something that can also trim to length and any other functions.

Something like this:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/c...e-care-kit.php

I am running a Lee Classic Turret Press with the kit and Lee deluxe dies for all rifle calibers. I know that I will not need to trim my 9mm, most likely.

I can't spend a bunch because I have already wrapped so much money into this to start. Haven't been able to pull the handle on my first load yet due to the shortage but now I have everything to get started for a few rounds except a way to get rid of the crimp on the military brass.

Thanks again guys.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old March 31, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Beentown71

Hmm...the Lee Zip Trim or one made to fit one of my extra drill/drivers is looking promising. That way I am not having to stop and check constantly.

Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old March 31, 2013, 08:25 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

I use the Lee case trimmer in a drill. Make sure it is low speed. Or else a thin bent rim will wobble out, and you will most likely wind up with a skinned knuckle. The ball handle for the cutter is great. Or you can drill out a pool ball then slide the cutter into it, and glue it in with some epoxy.
Old March 31, 2013, 08:28 PM   #4
oldpapps

Beentown71,

I do everything the old fashion / slow way.

A good addition is a Wilson Champering tool. With it you can clean both the inside and out side of freshly trimmed brass. (It also can be used to take care of the primer crimps, if you don't have too many to do. My hands hurt if I do many.)

Next is trimming to proper length. The simplest and cheap wan to do a good reliable trimming to length is the LEE Trim tool (I mount mine in a cordless drill.) I see no need to trim 9MM stuff.

So, depending upon your de-primer (some can't punch out crimped in primers - it's a safety thing to not damage the de-priming rod), you may need a 'Universal De-priming' die. Anyway, old primer out, trim to length, while the brass is mounted give it a rub with fine steel wool, the first time around with crimped primers, cut (swagging is easier with a tool) out the crimp ring. Your are prepped. Lub, size.....

This is time and effort consuming. I enjoy it. I take my time and 'batch' as much of what ever it may be as I can. I'll sort by head stamp after I prime.

Load safe,

OSOK
Old April 1, 2013, 05:39 PM   #5
pathdoc

Here's a neat, fun method for ridding yourself of military crimped primers:

http://youtu.be/FskNx4UBZvc
Old April 1, 2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Beentown71

Very cool method!

Anyone have/use the Lee Zip Trimmer?

Old April 1, 2013, 07:53 PM   #7
jepp2

Quote:
Here's a neat, fun method for ridding yourself of military crimped primers:

http://youtu.be/FskNx4UBZvc
Kind of looks like Berdan primer removal, not just crimped primers. And it doesn't do anything to eliminate the crimp.
Old April 1, 2013, 08:12 PM   #8
acb

I have a rcbs trim pro with drill adapter and it works great . Also bought Lyman case prep center it comes withe all the tools you need to prep cases you can buy the military crimp remover from rcbs and it works in the Lyman
Old April 2, 2013, 01:23 AM   #9
Reinz

They were selling those Hydaulic systems on ebay. I haven't seen them for a while, however, I haven't been looking for them either.
Old April 2, 2013, 02:52 AM   #10
MEATSAW

Another vote for the lee case trimmer in a cordless drill. In conjunction with the lee chamfer tool it's a very cheap and very effective way to prep brass. The chamfer tool can also be used to remove military crimped primer pockets. I prefer the hornady primer pocket reamer because it has a larger handle that is more comfortable to use for extended sessions.
Old April 2, 2013, 07:51 AM   #11
stevelyn

I have one of these..........

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/c...rep-xpress.php

If you keep an eye on sales flyers from the usual suspects you can get them for under $100. They are worth every penny. I just got done resizing, trimming and prepping almost 1000 rifle cases in the past couple weeks. I'd be all cramped up, eating Motrin and still twisting hand tools deburring, chamfering, cleaning necks and primer pockets without the Case Xpress.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old April 2, 2013, 08:09 AM   #12
droptrd

I use a lyman screwgun thing with all the attachments for case prep. I like it better than a staionary prep station cause I can work over my lap and I dont have to lean over a table. A little better on my back

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/331...-deburring-kit

For trimming, I own a forster which is good but this is all I use for my 223/556 which is the majority of my bottleneck rifle cartidges I load. Its fast easy and accuarate.

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html
Old April 2, 2013, 08:27 AM   #13
schmellba99

https://www.possumhollowproducts.com..._TRIMMERS.html

For a good power trimmer, the Possum Hollow is on up there. My only complaint is that it doesn't chamfer and de-bur in one step (seems they could make the cutting blade do this very thing).

But for trimming to length in a short amount of time without much effort (especially if you have a drill press), these are hard to beat for the price.
Old April 2, 2013, 08:36 AM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

FIL had an older RCBS case trimmer, that was hooked up to an electric drill... I was never able to get the tolerances close enough for my type of shooting with the RCBS... Have heard the Lee system works well, but is caliber specific, so I've never made the change... I use the old RCBS for getting close "enough", & have many separate file trim dies ( which is my preferred method, though it's slow, I can get my case lengths to within .010" ... actually tighter than that, but I also chamfer case mouths on my RCBS case prep center, where I have a Lyman flash hole uniforming tool in one station, in case I'm loaded mixed headstamp brass... for swaging primer pockets, I use the old RCBS swaging die that fits into a single stage press
Old April 2, 2013, 05:06 PM   #15
pathdoc

Kind of looks like Berdan primer removal

That was what I thought at first, but when I reviewed the video a couple of times, I could only see a single central flash hole.