The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 11, 2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Swampghost

New theory about deer decoys

Let's assume that deer and other animals 'read' their environment. How do they do it? They notice everything around them. What creates the most alarm? Squirrels and songbirds.

I'm thinking about placing some of these decoys near the stand to make the deer 'comfy' and far enough away JIC there may be a squirrel hunter around. The big question is where to find the decoys.
Old October 11, 2009, 09:06 PM   #2
oneounceload

http://www.cabelas.com/big-game-decoys.shtml
Old October 11, 2009, 09:18 PM   #3
snipecatcher

I believe he was referring to putting up fake squirrels and songbirds. These are referred to as confidence decoys, and are used by waterfowlers in the form of blue herons. The way I see it, if the deer sees a motionless squirrel a few feet away from you, the deer will also see you. Squirrels and songbirds only seem to get noticed by deer when they start chattering and making a commotion.
Old October 11, 2009, 09:56 PM   #4
Swampghost

I would never place a squirrel decoy within a few feet of my stand. Some people use shotguns and not all are good shots. I was thinking that one on a branch 30 ft. away would work with some songbirds maybe a little closer.

snipe, I know that deer will get spooky when other animals do. It's kind of like a woods alarm system. They'll also get wary when things aren't where they usually are like squirrels and birds.
Old October 11, 2009, 10:13 PM   #5
oneounceload

Gotcha!....I'm used to hunting out West - we didn't have trees to sit in, let alone squirrels, in the mountains of NV...... We just worried about not spooking them with our movement from one mountainside to the other
Old October 12, 2009, 03:31 AM   #6
shortwave

May work! I`ve had my turkey decoys out and deer have come within feet of them. Don`t know if decoys helped but they didn`t hurt. In early bow season I have used a squirrel/turkey call after getting into deer stand in the afternoon to kinda settle the woods back down from the noise I`ve made entering stand. Hoping the rustle of the leaves I`ve made entering followed by the call may make deers mind more at ease. Squirrel or turkey decoys may work.
Old October 12, 2009, 11:43 AM   #7
wpcexpert

Now turkeys I think would make a better confidence decoy than squirrels. From my experience, squirrels don't like deer. But I've seen deer following a flock of turkeys. They seem to co-habbit when they can. Deer trust the turkeys eyes and sense of being spooked, the turkeys trust the deer sense of smell and hearing.

You may be on to something.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old October 12, 2009, 04:00 PM   #8
VaFisher

Better add some sounds to make them more realistic.