The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 9, 2013, 08:59 PM   #1
JustinBiscuit

Custom Rem 700 or factory

I have a older, however still functional, barreled Remington 700 receiver (.300 WINMAG) I am thinking of building into a target rifle. I have no idea the condition of the barrel, however its short (23") and the bore looks clean and shinny to me. I would probably install in an ACIS chassis.

My question is should I spend cash to have the trigger done, True action and bolt, threaded barrel, possibly buy a new barrel and buy the stock

or

just buy a new rifle for $1,200?

thx
Old August 9, 2013, 09:14 PM   #2
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Buy a Timney trigger(cheap but great trigger). Re barrel you action, have it trued and blueprinted. Choose the stock that fits you best and shoot that beast.

I have a 300WM. It was custom built for me. It has a24" Kreiger SS barrel, custom muzzle brake, the action was trued and blueprinted. It was set in a Manners T5-A and a Near scope base.. I topped it off with a NightForce ATACR and it is more accurate than me. It averages (with me shooting) between 1/3-1/2 MOA. It cost a pretty penny, but was the best investment I have made in a long time.

I just think a good gunsmith can get more out of a rifle than the factory. They can spend more time hand tuning the rifle...
..." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by CharlieDeltaJuliet; August 9, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old August 9, 2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Mystro

Magnum calibers like the 300 need longer barels to really take advantage of the extra powder. All magnum rounds are figured with a 26" barrel as standard spec. 24" would be the absolute minimum to take advantage of the extra powder of a magnum. I saw a test done with a 270 Weatherby and when the barrel was chopped down to 22", it was about the same speed as a 270 Winchester with the same barrel length.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old August 9, 2013, 09:21 PM   #4
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Mine is a 1-10 twist, the twist matters as much as barrel length.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old August 9, 2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Mystro

Yea, 1 - 10 is the standard 30 caliber twist rate. For that matter its the same as the 270 and 338 as well. 1 - 9.5 is the 7mm Rem Mag.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old August 9, 2013, 09:35 PM   #6
JustinBiscuit

Thanks for the quick reply(s)...

Any advice on a gunsmith? I talked to Hofmeister Custom Shop out of CO. He seemed to know what he was talking and his prices seem reasonable.
Old August 9, 2013, 09:54 PM   #7
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I see too many 30 calibers with 1-11 or 1-12 twists. Heck even the M24 had a 1-11.25 twist. I also forgot to mention, Bull barrel. The lightweight barrels will flex a bit more when they warm up. I will sacrifice a little mobility (extra weight) for a stiff barrel.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old August 9, 2013, 10:00 PM   #8
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Now tht is on you... I can give you my guys number but he is back logged over a year and a half. He also shoots competitions, so that cuts not his time too... If you can get thm to do it GA Precision is. Top notch company, but they prefer full custom builds, but will usually work with you. They have some very impressive results.

If you handload let me know. I shoot Mk248 Mod1 in my 300WM and have the reloading formula. Just shoot me a message... The Navy ha his round made and the Army adopted it when they started switching to the 300WM. It is an AWESOME long range load.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old August 10, 2013, 01:02 PM   #9
jmr40

If you measure it correctly I'm quite sure you have a 24" barrel unless someone cut it shorter. I'd leave the barrel alone for now. If it were mine I'd replace the trigger, put it in a good stock, have a gunsmith recrown the barrel and shoot it. I'm betting you will be pleased with the results. A longer 26" barrel MIGHT give you an extra 50-75 fps, it might not. If I wanted more speed than I could get from a 24" barrel I wouldn't stop at 26".

If the barrel is not capable of the accuracy you want I'd then replace it with a better barrel, and in a 300 mag dedicated for long range shooting would seriously consider 28" or more. On a hunting rifle 24" is fine.
Old August 10, 2013, 01:15 PM   #10
CharlieDeltaJuliet

JMR40 is probably right about the length. they usually are 24". Gonna disagree about long range....wit you, JMR40, and you know I usually never disagree with you. The builder of my rifle has played with it at 1000 yards and at 1400. In hos words, it is one of the most accurate rifles he has ever seen in 300WM, and that he has ever built, period. I watch him shoot a 243 with 20" barrel at 1000 yards in competitions.

The Army M-24 is a 24" barrel in .308 and .300WM.

The rifle in the photo below was shooting MOA at 1200 yards, the Scout sniper who was testing it still brags about it. While barrel length can help gain some speed, accuracy is accuracy. This is a Hk417 with a 12" barrel...

..." - Thomas Jefferson