The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2002, 11:23 PM   #1
Cain R

Reloading: Science or Mystic Alchemy?

Seems that the general consensus with many gun hacks these days is that if you combine Powder X with bullet Y and case A and primer B you should get XYZ results. Ha to that I say.

A case in point my Tikka 6.5X55.

Before I had it bedded and the trigger worked on I was getting patterns at 100 yds not groups. But now, wow!

46.5 grs RL22 behind a 140gr Hornady A-Max, PMC case Federal 210 Match primer, three, 3 shot strings, smallest group size, .459", largest, .569".

46.5 grs of RL22 behind a Sierra 140gr BTHP, smallest group .987", largest, 1.598".

46.5 grs RL22 behind Hornady 140gr Interlock, smallest group 1.763", largest, 2.25"

BUT, substitute 45.0 grs RL19 behind the same 140gr Interlock the smallest group is .520", the largest .789".

BUT, using RL19 behind the A-Max or Sierra the groups grow to over 1.98"???

Seems just when I think I'm getting this figured out I go and get another rifle and it starts all over again.

Man this is fun.
Old September 3, 2002, 11:38 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Science ?
Yes.
But only when the principles are applied to an individual gun.
Each gun is different.

Makes it more funner.

Sam
Old September 4, 2002, 12:05 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Science, Art, AND Magic...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 4, 2002, 05:20 AM   #4
Peter M. Eick

Reloading in my opinion is part science, part art, and part "zen" for lack of a better word. It takes a lot of patience, good notes, careful analysis of the data, collecting the right data and forming good hypothesis to check and study. Hence the fun of it.

I see a lot of parallels to something I used to deal with a lot. Measuring the force of gravity. We all measure gravity every day when we get on a scale, but we interchangably use mass instead. Now, try to measure the variation in the pull of gravity. This requires being able to measure 1 part in 1x10^8 or better (for a precision survey) routinely. Ok thats great in a lab, now try to do it in the arctic, in the jungle, on a plane or on a boat..... Anyway, it becomes as one good practicioner once said "A black art!" to get it right.

What I found out working with gravity data, was that there were scientist who were good, and those who thought they were. After a while I decided which I was and switched over to magnetics to get away from the egos and after a while that field got a bit crowded and so now to seismic.

The parallels to reloading are the following:

"figure out if you are a good reloader, or just think you are and then act accordingly"
Old September 4, 2002, 09:15 PM   #5
Archie

I feel reloading is a science.

But the neighbors are wondering about me killing the chickens during the full moon.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 4, 2002, 09:39 PM   #6
TBAUS

Cain R... the 6.5X55 is a fine round! I think it is underrated here in the good ol US of A... I am glad to see you make it do what it can do... Keep experimenting....