The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 18, 2010, 04:59 PM   #1
Thirties

What happened to all the older Euro-built .32acp pistols

Seven, to ten years ago there were a lot of used European built .32acp pistols for sale . . . where have they all gone?
Old February 18, 2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Doyle

They are still around. I see them on Gunbroker quite frequently.
Old February 18, 2010, 07:05 PM   #3
HisSoldier

Their only real market is the US, and the Kel-Tec and many like it may have made it unprofitable. (?)
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old February 18, 2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Thirties

I should have written my post more carefully. I am asking where are all the USED European .32 pistols.
Old February 18, 2010, 07:40 PM   #5
OldShooter

I have a fine collection of them.
Old February 18, 2010, 08:07 PM   #6
crazy charlie

Some of them have become collector items and some of them cannot be imported into the US (new or used) because of some federal regulations. I haven't bought any .32 ammo lately but I've heard it is quite 'salty'.
Old February 18, 2010, 08:20 PM   #7
HisSoldier

Quote:
I should have written my post more carefully. I am asking where are all the USED European .32 pistols.
Sorry, I didn't see the "used" part.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old February 18, 2010, 08:21 PM   #8
PointOneSeven

I think HisSoldier is spot on. If anyone wants a .32, you can find one that fits in your pocket that's brand new for the same price. Just the way the market went. The old 9x18 pistols kind of took their place for cheap imports.
Old February 18, 2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Mike OTDP

People bought them, squirreled them away. Especially the C&R guns.
Old February 18, 2010, 08:59 PM   #10
christcorp

I have a hungarian AP-MBP (FEG PA-63 except in 32acp). It's a great gun. I conceal carry it about 25% of the time. When I'm wearing formals like a tux; or real hot days when I'm in shorts. (Fits in the front pocket perfectly). It's a fantastic gun. And it's great, because the gun snobs don't want them because they think a 32acp only pisses off bad guys. (Still haven't found anyone who will volunteer to stand there while my 32acp "Pisses them off"). So, the prices stayed pretty low with the lower interest in the caliber. But the LCP and a couple others sort of made the 32acp a bit more popular. I'd take the feg over the seecamp, kel-tec, or tomcat in a hearbeat. I tried to hold/shoot an seecamp and a tomcat. Got through about about a box of ammo each. Too small. Doesn't fit my hand well at all. The feg is identical to a Walther PPK. It's a little larger, but still fits in your pocket. Much easier to shoot.

Anyway; got it at a gun show about a year or two ago. About $150. Currently, there are 2 on gunbroker. One for $175 and the other for $299. It's a great Walther PPK modeled type weapon. I have about 4-5 guns that I would NEVER trade or sell. And this is definitely one of them.
Old February 18, 2010, 09:09 PM   #11
Erich

They are still around . . .
Old February 18, 2010, 09:41 PM   #12
PSP

This one is available for only $6000.* Any interest?

* ammo included
Old February 20, 2010, 03:38 PM   #13
LanceOregon

It is simply supply and demand at work. It has been 40 years since these guns could be imported into the USA.

Since the supply will never increase, availability for them is going down, because of the demand.

You should have purchased one 10 years ago. Now you face a more difficult chore, and will have to pay much more money for one in good condition.

Old February 20, 2010, 04:36 PM   #14
BlueTrain

It must be the places I go but I've never seen that many of them and some models, like the Astra, I've never seen. There are some features on some of the older models that seem to have become out of fashion. Almost universally, the older "pocket" automatics were thinner, had longer barrels and a smaller grip. Only the recent Colt Government .380s seem to fit my idea of a good design, though there are others that are more than satisfactory.

I also wonder what happened to all those Colt and S&W revolvers, especially the smaller frame sizes (many of which also had longer barrels). I see nice ones every now and then but are all the rest still in the proverbial top dresser drawers?
Buy War Bonds.