The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 3, 2009, 06:23 PM   #51
jman841

+1 on the beauty of the M92. I think it is by far the sexiest pistol ever designed, if a pistol can be sexy that is. I also think the quality and craftsmenship of the ones made in Italy is much better than the ones made in the US. I would love to get one some day but have no practical use for it as of right now because they are quite large and heavy for a 9mm pistol, other than the size and weight i think they are an excellent firearm.
Old July 3, 2009, 07:23 PM   #52
Homerboy

Quote:
BZZZZZT! Sorry, wrong answer. PX-4 shipments are up 245% year over year as of May '09 despite the economy. I credit the Firearms Salesman of the Year, one B. H. Obama and the fact that fear uncertainty and dread regarding their rotating barrel seems to be less prevalent over time.
All gun shipments are up thanks to the rush on gun purchases after Obama took office. Try walking into a gun store and seeing how many PX4's they have on the shelves. I had to go to 5 different places just to hold one, and then they had to order the 9MM I wanted (only had the .40). I bought it because I love Beretta's, but I just never warmed up to it. And ask yourself why Crimson Trace doesn't make a grip for it. By their own words "current sales do not justify the expense of developing them". Funny how they have one for the Ruger LCP before the gun even came out.

If you want a polymer TDA gun, I heartily recommend the PX4, but they certainly haven't turned the world on it's ear.
Old July 3, 2009, 07:38 PM   #53
greyson97

personally I dont mind if more people dont get the PX4. Makes me feel more special owning one, and if they discontinue it due to poor sales, I'll still have mine and people will be like, dang, thats a cool pistol, where can i get one? and i'll all be like, sorry, they're discontinued.
Old July 3, 2009, 09:00 PM   #54
rsxr22

Beretta makes a very good gun... The PX4 is a good platform. But in no way,shape, or form should it be argued that it is the best DA/SA out there. If you break it down... Mainly you have ergonomics,accuracy, and reliability.

ergonomics are different for every person
accuracy out of the box is comparable to glocks and xd's
reliability is as well comparable to glocks and xd's

Like i said the PX4 is a good gun....BUT not the best
Old July 3, 2009, 09:29 PM   #55
greyson97

I think OP just wanted to know about the DA/SA trigger system and which one had the best ones. The PX4 isnt by any means a perfect 9mm. It doesnt have a finger groove on the trigger guard! and the grip texture is pokey on my soft non calloused hands. I need to get the hogue grip wrap for mine. But I like my px4 so much i want to keep putting rounds through it, and i will never sell it.
Old July 3, 2009, 09:36 PM   #56
Boats

The relative popularity of pistols is regional. Berettas of all kinds move in my neck of the woods whereas FNPs, save for the 45ACP ones are glued to the shelves. HK USPs and SIGs are kind of sticky too whereas M&Ps and Glocks tend to move rapidly.

Crimson Trace is not the be all of popularity measures. It took decades to get CTCs for the Ruger GP-100, which has sold briskly since 1986. There are tens of thousands of Walther P99s out there and no CTCs. The BHP was introduced in 1935. CTC was founded in '94. It took them until 2003 to introduced grips for the hundreds of thousands of BHPs out there worldwide.

If the PX-4 keeps doubling its sales it will get a module.

Last edited by Boats; July 3, 2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old July 3, 2009, 10:07 PM   #57
Pilot

Cz-75d pcr.
Old July 3, 2009, 10:47 PM   #58
2ndamd

I have owned and shot a ton of TDA autos.

Ruger makes a good gun but, they are big, blocking and sit high in the hand.

Sigs are overpriced and having QA issues.

H&K USP is a very nice gun with a very nice price tag.

CZ75 or CZPO1 both are very nice guns. I have found these to be extremely accurate and as accurate as my old Sig 226. But, the CZs all come with this DA trigger pull and reach that is something left to be desired. Many people will/can tell you how to fix this issue for a very reasonable price. I can recommend the CZs listed above.

But man-o-man is the Px4 Storm sweet. No need to tinker with the trigger on this one. It has a rotating barrel design that makes the recoil feel even softer. Super short reset trigger. Crispy clean trigger break with just a slight whisper of overtravel. Most novices would not even notice it. The gun feels great in the hand! And, the controls hit me just right. Excellent accuracy!
I love my Glocks because, if something breaks I can fix it in 10 minutes. The Px4 Storm does not have the aftermarket like Glocks and they have a limited number of available holsters. But, if you are in the market for a TDA auto? I can highly recommend the Px4 Storm. Some people criticize Beretta because they have a 3 year warranty (if you send in the card). Mnay feel gun makers should stand behind their product for life.

Let us know what you decide and how it shoots for ya.
Old July 4, 2009, 04:03 AM   #59
ReNtaPiG

Quote:
but if you think the PX4 is attractive and the 92 is ugly, then you are definetely in the minority.
Guilty as charged your honor...92 is hideous and yes so is Klum LMAO!!!

Quote:
I think OP just wanted to know about the DA/SA trigger system and which one had the best ones.
Puuuuuurty much...I mean c'mon...being realistic here I know people love their 92's, 88's, 99's, 226's and so on and so forth and that's great!!!

I buy firearms because I like them (or liked ie. Taurus) They have to fit my hand comfortably(my grip)...fire smoothly, be reliable (hence the past tense on the Taurus) and just as importantly be visually appealing to me and I most certainly have a more contemporary taste in firearms. Which is why I like the PX4 WAY MORE then the 92...the 2010 Camaro is WAY hotter then the 69...etc etc...New School not Old School...hell the only reason I bought a 1911 is because it came with Crimson Trace grips(new school).

so bottom line...YOUR perfect firearm may not be mine and MY perfect firearms may not be yours...and quite frankly not to be a d*uche but I could care less what you think is sexy, perfect or better then the rest...I'm looking for suggestions so I can do a little research and buy a good DA/SA fired weapon
Old July 4, 2009, 05:51 AM   #60
Homerboy

To each his own. I can't really take the opinion of a Taurus owner seriously, though! What's next, a Lorcin?
Old July 4, 2009, 09:10 AM   #61
woad_yurt

Two worth mentioning....

For all around utility, reliabilty, size, I vote Makarov.

A 9MM Star MOD 30MI is a great one, too, but it weighs like a tank. Not good for carry but it's a monster for home or range use.
Old July 4, 2009, 09:14 AM   #62
armsmaster270

Sig 220 and 226 sorry JMO
Old July 4, 2009, 04:01 PM   #63
ReNtaPiG

Quote:
Sig 220 and 226 sorry JMO
I added the 226 to the list...I can't exactly knock it till I try it...at the very least it doesn't look like SP2022
Old July 4, 2009, 04:09 PM   #64
KCabbage

Quote:
To each his own. I can't really take the opinion of a Taurus owner seriously, though! What's next, a Lorcin?
Hey....the clerk at the pawn shop told me Lorcin is top of the line. He even knocked the price down to $625. Should I take it back?
Old July 5, 2009, 05:50 PM   #65
ReNtaPiG

Okey Dokey...fired a P226 today...once again LOVED the trigger system's of the SIG

BUT!!!!! not a fan of the grip, weight OR THE RIDICULOUS PRICE TAG!!!!

A price tag almost rivaling some high end 1911's...a P226 Stainless Steel 9mm for $1000???? give me a break!!! NO THANK YOU!!

I can buy 2 1/2 Glocks for THAT price (with LEO discount...for those out there doing the math)

Hmmmm...2 1/2 Glocks? a new 1911? or a SIG P226??? I'm afraid the SIG's lose...LOL...again (SP2022, P226)...LMAO!!!

Tags
da/sa