The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2004, 01:40 PM   #1
deadeyedick

Primed Brass

I recently purchased a bunch of 44 mag primed brass (no powder or bullets) I am not sure how long they have been primed, they look like awhile. Is there a way to get the primer out without putting them in my pistol and shooting everyone? In this lot there were also about a 100 or so loaded cartridges that must have been for a rifle. All have a OAL 1.75. So I will have the same problem with those. I have a inertia bullet puller, just wondering about the primer. Any suggestions??

Thanks
Old October 16, 2004, 02:13 PM   #2
steveno

depending on how they were stored I would probably load a few of them and try them. if those shot ok I would load the rest and shoot them. you can also just deprime them using your reloading dies if you want to. how much too long are the loaded rounds? do you own a contender? if not I can't think of a better reason for buying another gun than to shoot some ammo
Old October 16, 2004, 02:43 PM   #3
deadeyedick

Re-seat the bullet??

Is it possible to seat the bullet a bit lower to the 1.60 OAL for the handgun. These shells were loaded with 44 special specs, like 250 gr lead bullets and 5 grs of Bullseye. The others say 6 gr. with some various lead bullets. Do you think I can reseat or just start banging away with my puller? Also, the decapping tool in my dies wont detonate the primer??
Old October 16, 2004, 03:57 PM   #4
steveno

what bullet is loaded in the rounds that are too long? is it jacketed? I assume that it has a cannelure? you can try seating the bullet deeper and see as long as it is as light a load as you say. depriming a live primer shouldn't be a problem as I have done it before. I just eased into it is all. if they were mine I would just load a few with a practice load to confirm that they will fire. if everything fired ok I would just load the rest and fire away. unless a primer was stored in an oily area or something they will usually fire as primers are fairly hard to deactivate in most envirnoments.
Old October 16, 2004, 04:41 PM   #5
deadeyedick

Oal 1.75

I was told that the loaded ammo was a 44 special load of 6 grains of Bullseye with a 250 cast lead bullet. They were loaded for a 44 Rem rifle with an OAL approx 1.75, too long for my pistol. I took one apart and there was only 6 grs of powder. I took 2 others and seated the bullet to make an overall length of 1.60 with a crimp. Took them outside and shot both, My hand is still here and actually they shot rather acurate. A bit dirty, soft recoil and nowhere near as load as a magnum. My son just bought a csope for his Ruger Hunter and we will be sighting her in tomorrow. I think I will sink some of these bullets and use them for the sighting. I think they should be fine. Any other thoughts?
Old October 16, 2004, 06:32 PM   #6
steveno

it doesn't look like you will have any problems the way it sounds. I wonder why the person decided to load them longer than normal? one of the selling points of a rifle in a handgun caliber is so the ammo will be interchangeable in both guns. did this person have a 44 revolver and if so do you know what it was?
Old October 16, 2004, 07:23 PM   #7
steveno

a long time ago I had a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag and I was loading some 290 grain SSK cast bullets. they shot quite well so I decided to try them in my Browning M-92 and that is when I found out that the loads were too long for the rifle. I had to take the magazine tube apart to unload the rifle. the mistake I made was getting rid of the Browning bevause of the problem and keeping the Redhawk. I should have done it the other way around. over all I think the Ruger Super Blackhawk is the best of the bunch. If I was to ever get another 44 mag I would get the Super Blackhawk with the 4.625 inch barrel. at this point in time I think the 41 mag will do anything I expect to ever do with a handgun with less recoil and overall better accuracy. I think that if a 41 or 44 can't do your needs with a handgun powerwise you probably need a rifle anyway.
Old October 16, 2004, 08:37 PM   #8
deadeyedick

This guy who had this ammo owned a Marlin Lever Action 44 mag. Said he did a lot of reloading. I could not pass up the deal. Got a whole box of Federal large Pistol primer (1000), 200 primed brass and about 100 loaded ammo plus a few ammo boxes and reloading trays. Paid 16 bucks for all. Couldn't buy the primers for that. Also got a bag of cast bullets. I have pushed the bullet down on a few more rounds and at about 20 yrds off hand, they are grouping at about 2 inches. They are very light loads, light recoil and not as load as the old magnum rounds. Should have some fun blasting these puppies off!!