The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 9, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Lance8300

Need some help identifying a Woodsmaster 740

I have obtained a Remington Woodsmaster 740
Magazine fed with matching scope.
It appears to have been manufactured July 1959
The problem I am having is identifying it.
After days of searching I can not find any info or photos of one like mine. Mine has a stainless colored barrel, receiver, magazine, sling rings, butt plate and scope.
It has beautiful walnut stock.
The fore stock has (7) large diamonds on lower side, the grip area has checkered design.

I would like to find out some more about this gun, am curious as to why I have not been able to locate another one like it.

Also curious as to rarity and value for insurance reasons. I'm not interested in selling as it is a family hand me down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (241.2 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Lance8300; March 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Add pic
Old March 9, 2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Goatwhiskers

Remington never made the 740 in stainless. Sounds as tho the gun and all parts may have been electroless nickel plated at some point, or the entire gun was stripped, polished, and some sort of sealer put on. Electroless nickel on a dull polished or blasted surface would resemble stainless. Scope could be stainless. Goat
Old March 9, 2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Lance8300

Added pic

Added pic
Old March 9, 2013, 06:47 PM   #4
jmr40

Someone has no Nickle plated the gun. It didn't leave the factory that way. If done right it is an interesting custom touch that helps with weather resistance. Some would pay a little extra I would pay less
Old March 10, 2013, 07:22 PM   #5
publius

Yes, I'ts Nickel plated. Very cool gun. I'd rather have yours than a standard blued.
Old March 10, 2013, 07:58 PM   #6
Lance8300

if it has been done after production then they did a fantastic job, it looks factory done. Even the smallest lettering and stamps are colored same but no appearance of filling the lettring. I love the look of it. Just had never seen another one like it! I got the matching (3) rd mag, (4) (10) mags and about 500rds of ammo with it. It shoots wonderfully, silver dollar grouping at 150yds with 10 rd mag.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:23 PM   #7
skywag

Old March 11, 2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Skans

Yes, those rifles were blued - no nickel and definitely not stainless from the factory. The good news for you is that these guns are not all that collectable - they routinely sell for about $300 - $350 on gunbroker. So, the aftermarket nickel job shouldn't hurt value in today's market.

I had one of these guns for years - actually just stored it for someone (and hunted with it some). It is actually a nicely made semi-auto 30-06. I've always felt they should sell for more than they do - never could figure this out. It did have a 20 round detachable magazine - held 20 rounds of 30-06. So, to all those antis out there that claim the AR is a "high-powered rifle", the Woodsmaster, with a 20 round magazine, is a true high-powered rifle.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:44 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am going to stick my neck way out on this, but IIRC Remington did/does offer a nickel plate option on some of its guns. It was in the really fine print in the catalog, but was intended for use in marine and seashore environments where a plain blue gun just wouldn't stand up.

Jim
Old March 12, 2013, 03:57 PM   #10
Boomer58cal

Beautiful gun! I like it. On a side note...what caliber is is? If I my ask. And what brand are the ten round mags?

The only reason I ask is I've had very bad experiences with the KKK 10rd'ers. I only have experience with the long action like the 30-06. I've owned 10 old ones( 15 years ago) and 2 newer ones( I was told they had been fixed). All 12 functioned not just badly but dangerously. Sometimes damaging the PRIMER! and jamming the cartridge sideways in the action. Cabela's was good enough to refund my money on the 2 newer ones but KKK would not even talk to me and has ignored my letters. Letters plural and has not returned my $300 for the other 10. Sorry for my bitter rant just wanted to ask that you be careful and test the 10 rds'ers. I have heard the short action ones are better though. Be safe and nice find.

Boomer