The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 26, 2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Cascade1911

Navigating with pop top mittens.

Bought a new pair of mittens for hunting, the kind where you can fold back the mit and thumb to expose the fingers for shooting. 5:00 am, very dark, trying to use my gps to find my hunting spot as I normally do (I scout before and during the season and add likely spots to my gps as waypoints so I can find them in the dark). My Garmin vista has me going in circles, great time for the gps to fail. I pull out my compass, north is behind me. Every way I turn, north is behind me. I realize there are magnets in the mittens to hold the flaps back. Nice feature but makes using any kind of compass impossible. Just a heads up.
Old November 26, 2011, 08:44 PM   #2
cnimrod

I wonder ...

if the magnets would affect your GPS as well? thanks for the heads up I was taking a compass bearing today and realized taking it on the hood of the truck was not a good idea either.
Old November 27, 2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Cascade1911

If the GPS has a electronic compass the magnets will affect it. It won't change the plotted position but will affect the displayed heading. Car GPS's use the difference in position to determine heading but hand held's have a hard time doing that unless you move in a relatively constant speed and direction so having a built in compass is very helpful.