The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 15, 2009, 10:27 PM   #1
jal5

Need Bayard 1908 grip screw?

Anyone know where I can get one? These grips are fastened with 2 screws each, and the grip is a hard rubber type material maybe bakelite. Thanks.

Joe
Old July 16, 2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Chipperman

Not listed at Numrich.
You're probably best off taking one with you and matching as best as possible at the hardware store.
Old July 16, 2009, 02:58 PM   #3
jal5

That is what I thought too. There is a website that manufactures replacement grips and has the screws, I just found it today. If I cannot get any from some other source I will try there. One of the grips is cracked anyway so I could just buy replacements with the screws.

Joe
Old July 16, 2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Chipperman

Cool.
What's the Website?
Old July 16, 2009, 08:07 PM   #5
jal5

Should have put it in the other post.
http://vintagegungrips.net/es.html

Prices seem reasonable for what I need.

Joe
Old April 1, 2011, 02:54 PM   #6
aeromac

Need Bayard 1908 grip screws

I ordered these grips from vintage gun grips. the screws were not included. I got this gun with cracked pearl handle greps and trying to restore it with the standard grips. the screws are in bad shape and are longer when I tried to put on the standard grips. I did find them at "numrich" but are out of stock. and vintage gun has no clue on which screws.

Does anyone know what the type and size they should be?
Old April 1, 2011, 03:20 PM   #7
jal5

I never found any either. Other projects got in the way and this one sat in the safe. I will be interested to see what you can find out.

Joe
Old April 1, 2011, 03:32 PM   #8
gyvel

The screws are metric threads. You may be able to find exactly what you need by taking apart an old VCR or tape deck. I have also found that old, broken typewriters are a wealth of odd screws that work in guns.
Old April 1, 2011, 08:53 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Old grip screws are often non-standard and the chance of finding one at a hardware store is almost nil. Not only would that screw be metric, it is probably not even a common metric size. As an example, look at our common M1911 pistol. The original GI grip screws are .150"x50; try finding that at a hardware store.

Where originality is not a problem, you can often find a screw whose head can be altered and then tap the hole out for whatever thread it uses. Of course, that gives you an "odd size" screw, but it might be the only choice.

Jim
Old April 2, 2011, 01:11 AM   #10
gyvel

Here's some info that might help you:

I took the screws off of my Bayard and, as best as I can tell, they are M3x0.6 thread (a metric standard size), the shank diameter is .105", the head diameter is .196 +/- .001, the length of the threaded portion of the shank is .132" and the thickness of the screw head is .070 +/- .002. The screws on my example are cheese head screws, i.e. they are flat, not domed. I have no idea if they are the originals or not, as the gun has some WW I German unit markings on the rear grip strap, and might be German replacements for all I know.

BTW, I have ordered several pairs of grips from those folks at Vintage and the quality is excellent. When they arrive, they will be shiny, but if you dull them down a bit with some Walmart Tech carb cleaner, you will be hard pressed to tell them from the original.

One thing you need to bear in mind is that they use a real pair of grips to make molds from and the repros will have any and all faults that were on the originals. Some of these grips are relatively uncommon and you can't always find the best examples to copy.

Last edited by gyvel; April 2, 2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old April 2, 2011, 08:07 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yes, M3x0.6 is a standard size and taps and dies are readily available, so you might be able to make a screw with minimal expense if you can't find one.

Jim
Old April 2, 2011, 10:23 PM   #12
gyvel

Here's a link with a very nice photo of a Bayard. Apparently the cheese head screws are correct and original.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Bayard/bayard.html
Old April 4, 2011, 10:42 PM   #13
jal5

thanks Gyvel with that information maybe I can find the cheesehead screw.
I will probably buy the replacement grips also and save the original ones since one is cracked anyway. With these screw dimensions I can contact that company and get the appropriate screw with the grips.

Joe
Old April 6, 2011, 09:27 AM   #14
jal5

Vintage Grips has the grips but not the screws, I just sent them the screw dimensions provided by gyvel.

any ideas for locating these screws?

Joe