The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old April 7, 2011, 09:07 AM   #1
Don P

Marlin Firearms

Marlin Firearms has zero quality control in place. I purchased a Model 795 NIB and during the disassembly before shooting found a breech bolt that one side of it looks like it has sat in salt water for 6 months, They also did not install the assembly post which locks the action to the receiver so in essence it was a one shot rifle. It was sent back to the repair center and all that was done with regards to my two issues was the assembly post was installed. They chose to do nothing about the breech bolt. This is definitely the first and LAST Marlin I will ever buy. In hind sight Savage or Ruger would have been a much sounder purchase.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 13, 2011, 09:14 PM   #2
baddarryl

I recently got an XL7 .270 that everything looks fine on. They did leave the strap swivel off the stock though which my dealer says was a first. My 981T .22 has been a fine gun.
Old April 14, 2011, 12:07 AM   #3
jmortimer

I've got two 795s and they work every time - no FTF in over 10 years. Now that Remington/Private Equity Co. is involved it may be a whole new story.
Old April 14, 2011, 08:05 AM   #4
MrWesson

Sorry you got a lemon but in my experience Marlin makes a solid product.

Remember that firearms are assembled by man and therefor not perfect.
Old April 14, 2011, 08:37 AM   #5
foghorn leghorn

perfection

sorry to hear anyone lose confidence in a firearm that has its blueprints patented and is a proven design. The poster mentioned the real culprit, the assembly workers and quality control, or lack thereof.
I think its another example of workers who feel they deserve more than they are receiving in wages or benefits, who take it out on the consumer to punish the employer. Its a disgrace.
I hope that the stuff rolls uphill as the saying goes, and enough complaints make it to Marlin, not just the dealer or local repair center. I have a Glenfield Model 60 that is 45 years old and has been flawless, as is my Remington Nylon 66, and I hope the Ruger 10/22 I bought last year will be.

The automobile is going through similar manifestations when the design cant make it from paper to finished product.
Is there any use in us calling Marlin and protesting their decline, to urge corporate to contact production?
I don't want to lose any more good American products to poor management.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; April 14, 2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: skirting language filter
Old April 14, 2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Don P

My original letter with the "How are we doing" survey card was sent to Remington on March 25,2011. To date, no response from Remington. There was also a email sent prior to the letter with no response to the email. Guess Marlin/Remington just do not care about responding to customer complaints. As we always said in the concrete business, its easier to keep a customer than to lose that customer and try to get them back. Maybe the older Marlins and Remington's are a quality product, but as far as I'm concerned I'll not buy either NIB.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.