The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 23, 2013, 09:30 AM   #1
ketland

45-70 best bullet and powder for Long range match?

I shoot NRA 600 yd matches,using modern rifles, and would like to bring out my high wall in 45-70
(modern repro, not original old timey rifle) to change things up, and am wondering what bullet weight powder combo might be best? I currently have some 405gr cast bullets, and a few different powders (Unique, 2400, 4831, varget), and can get other weight bullets and powders.

Update: Did some research here and on other sites and came up with piles of good information.

Last edited by ketland; March 23, 2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Did Research, found answers
Old March 28, 2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Barnacle Brad

We use 25gr 5744 with the 405gr and 500gr bullets with a fiber wad on top of the powder. This load is safe in the Trapdoor Springfield 45-70 Govt. May be a good starting load for you. This is a load we shoot for the Quigley Match. Have fun and be safe!
Old March 28, 2013, 01:16 PM   #3
ketland

Thank you Brad, I have done quite a bit of research at this point, though I have yet to drop powder as I am still trying to decide which load to go with, so your input is greatly appreciated. I have a few boxes of 405 cast bullets, and no 500 grainers, so at least my bullet selection is done for now.
Old March 31, 2013, 11:51 AM   #4
ocharry

i have taken the 405gr lyman bullet to 600 with pretty good success,,but i use black powder,,but it will fly

twist in my barrels are 1-18

i have a browning traditional hunter that i think is 1-20 and it really likes the lyman 385gr rn gov bullet

need to know twist rate of your barrel,,,usually a slower twist will like lighter bullets 450gr and down,,and a faster twist for the heavier stuff

not always true but that is a starting point,,i used to shoot with a guy that had an old shiloh that had a 1-22 twist barrel and it would do really well with 550 creedmore style bullets

you just need to see what it likes

that 5744 mentioned is good powder for this cartridge in smokeless

my .02

ocharry