The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 4, 2013, 11:33 PM   #51
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10851Man View Post
We may get to serve in the Army of the Confederacy again yet....
Don't wish for this. You won't like it.
Old February 5, 2013, 06:15 PM   #52
10851Man

@ mrbatchelor,

That's got nothing to do with my wishing for anything. It would only be decided by the actions of those powers that be...
Old February 5, 2013, 06:21 PM   #53
10851Man

Check these flyers out when you have some free time....

http://publicintelligence.net/fbi-su...orting-flyers/
Old February 5, 2013, 08:54 PM   #54
orsogato

I really think any legislation involving black powder guns will be the black powder itself.

It's explosive and like anything else, if misused could cause harm.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:34 AM   #55
Logan5579

I read through some of the articles provided in the link, being overly concerned with your own privacy and paying in cash seem to crop up a lot as "suspicious activity"

Money is for spending, and as long as I'm not breaking any laws its none of big brothers business where I am or what I do

OK, I'm done...
(steps off the soap box and goes back to work)
Old February 6, 2013, 10:55 AM   #56
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10851Man View Post
@ mrbatchelor,

That's got nothing to do with my wishing for anything. It would only be decided by the actions of those powers that be...
Well, Lewis Batchelor collected a Confederate retirement, but he isn't reported to have particularly liked the war. And Richard Batchelor was apparently a Loyalist with no record of service but no recorded open opposition to the Revolution. After all, we got the farm from George II, and biting the hand that feeds you is poor form.

So it isn't like my family doesn't have a little connection to some of the fighting. And I'd prefer we vote about it if we can. I didn't vote for the current administration. And I know for a fact that after the revolution my family was rather dividend between Federalist and Anti-Federalists. But we've never not been rabid 2A supporters.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:42 PM   #57
10851Man

Our family, from Western Kentucky, fought for the Confederacy. Though they did not believe in slavery, but neither did they appreciate the Union invading the South and they fought under those pretenses, as I was told by my Great Grandfather during a 1980 visit to Trigg County, Kentucky. The family cemetery bears testament to how hard the Union worked to destroy the South.

The Hinson family lived just down the road and were childhood friends of our family. John 'Jack' Hinson was a Confederate sniper who operated in the Devil’s Elbow region of Trigg County and survived the war with 30+ kills. A historical marker stands at that location today.

I cannot speak for them, and if possible, a vote would be best, but you know our Government and you need look no further to see how they treated the American Indian to realize they speak with a forked tongue.

Our Government asked me to do many things that were morally and ethically wrong during my service. My military service caused me great distrust of our administration.

Keep in mind, as you read my responses below, that my wife is Black. The Civil War was not fought to free the salves. It was fought to restore the Union and the resources of the South to the benefit of the Union. Slavery was a 'politically correct' vehicle under which cloak, furthered the Union's agenda. Had the war been solely fought to free the salves, they would have been free when it ended, and alas, they were not. Slaves after the war couldn't vote, couldn't own a gun and were still treated like animals.

If it came down to it, I would rather fight than live in oppression...FWIW
Old February 8, 2013, 09:45 AM   #58
ZVP

doubt that you'll see the bad guys robbing and causing mayhem with C&B BP revolvers but I CAN see an honest citizen trying to defend house and family with one.
That been said, I doubt Obama has reserched the viability of banning BP guns.
I would think he'd see them as a Hobby rather than serious self defense guns, though they do cover the task well!
I think that the absense of supplys is nothing more than some panic buying on the Hobbiests part aand the shortage will recover sooner than the Smokeless shortage.
All Maanufacturers have "geared-up" to take up the slack.
JMHO,
ZVP
Old February 8, 2013, 10:04 AM   #59
10851Man

DHS has reported buying ammunition in all various calibers to prevent the public from buying it...
Old February 8, 2013, 01:19 PM   #60
mrbatchelor

> DHS has reported buying ammunition in all various calibers to prevent the public from buying it...

And this is a surprise?
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

NRA Endowment Member
Old February 8, 2013, 01:27 PM   #61
10851Man

No, but the fact more people apparently do not know, or even care, is a surprise to me...
Old February 8, 2013, 01:43 PM   #62
mrbatchelor

When I saw that Social Security was buying up millions of rounds last year - come on, Social Security - I went on a buying spree. Way before the current "hoarding" started.

I didn't see Sandy Hook coming. But I was pretty confident old Mitt wasn't going to win, and I was pretty confident that gun control was going to get a lot of attention.

My wife thought I was insane. Two weeks ago she apologized to me, and wanted to know how I knew. I told her I was a Boy Scout.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by mrbatchelor; February 8, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 04:00 PM   #63
10851Man

The only plausible explanation would be they are buying to supply the OIG agents.

They carry .357 Sigs....
Old February 8, 2013, 04:40 PM   #64
Rigmarol

I hope it all ends up as MilSurp later... (fingers crossed)
Old February 10, 2013, 12:46 AM   #65
Darto

Already .454 and .451 roundball hard to find. all the following are out (online):
Cabelas, Track of Wolf, Midway, Natchez, Dixie, and all of several others I tried. Gunbroker auction has them still from small suppliers through their 'buy it now'. Apparently Speer and Hornady are buys making other boolits or buyers are starting to hoard .44 cap and ball (as a last resort legal pistol).

Reloading and casting supplies are cheaper to stock up on for folks who are fearful and putting in a supply against future gun laws.

I think I need to decide on fewer basic reloading powders and lay in some.
Old February 25, 2013, 05:20 PM   #66
Logan5579

Well, theres no such thing as #11 primers anymore, at least not where I can get to em. Cabela's left me out in the cold for 2 months then emailed me today to tell me they probably weren't gonna fill my order, so I went ahead and cancelled my backorder with them. I can't hold it against them though as they have always been great to deal with in the past, they just can't get anything from the manufacturer.
Nobody local has #11s anymore, gotta give credit to my local gunshop owner though, he managed to scrounge around and find me 1 tin of CCI #11's! He wouldn't tell me where he found them at, but he had them under the counter waiting on me when I walked in today. He did have, and is still able to get #10s in limited quantity so I bought 500 of those from him and thanked him for keeping me and my BP addiction in mind. I converted my revolvers to #11 nipples several years back but never got rid of the #10 nipples, soooo I guess I'll switch back for awhile and save the #11's I have on hand for the smokepole.
Now you guys are just gonna have to quit buying everything up so I can get my supplies.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:55 PM   #67
MarkVegas

BP supplies locally

My local Bass Pro finally has #11 caps, and one tin of Winchester Magnum #11 left. I got it and their last pound of Pyrodex P.

No .454 balls, bought some .457 hoping they fit....(Colt Walker, Colt Dragoon, Uberti 1860 and Pietta Remmy 1858). No musket caps for my .54 Sharps though.

Ammo restrictions is a backdoor gun control method as sure as fabricated gas shortages are a control on freedom of movement.

Obama may not be personally aware of BP firearms, but rest assured DHS and the rest of the alphabet soup sure as Hell do.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:30 PM   #68
Tickling

If they're going after airsoft guns do you really think they'll let you keep your Black Powder firearms?

http://www.vpc.org/studies/awalook.htm