The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 7, 2001, 10:34 AM   #1
DeBee

Attaching Front Sight to Featherweight Barrel

Since I am on vacation, I get to do some gunsmithing I've been procrastinating on...

Specifically, I want to attach a front sight ramp to my pet rifle in progress, the Winchester Classic Stainless .308. This will compliment the Warne Rear Peep Base- I think I have the height correct... I have a Williams Shorty Ramp (one 6x48 screw)

However, the barrel is featherweight contour and that means not much steel to thread. I considered silver solder (Silvaloy 335) but I can't seem to get it to jig up securely and I am concerned about scale formation in the barrel from the heat.

I know I've seen .30-06 Pre-64 Featherweights with front sights. How did Winchester drill and tap? Is the contour the same as the Classic? Has anyone successfully drilled and tapped for a front sight on a featherweight contour .30 barrel? Any recommendations?

Similar post appears in Art of the Rifle Forum...
Old August 8, 2001, 08:22 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Debee, I've done a few but I drill a blind hole about 1/2 the wall thickness deep. Just enough to get a couple of threads in. I don't use this as the permanent hold for the sight but just to hold it in place for soldering. George
Old August 8, 2001, 10:52 AM   #3
DeBee

Thanks George, I knew I could count on you to answer the difficult questions.

Do you think it would help to swap the screw to one with more threads per inch?
Old August 9, 2001, 05:22 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

DeBee, I don't recall right off hand what size the screw is. I want to say 5-40 but it might be something else. You could go to a larger screw but you'll have to re-drill and countersink the ramp. If you don't want to solder the sight you could use epoxy instead. Loctite Black Max should work well. George
Old August 9, 2001, 11:48 PM   #5
DeBee

I'm going to go with drill and tap to half the depth and try the Black Max (Do you know where I can get it cheaper than Brownells?)

If it doesn't work, I guess I'll be cutting and recrowning to 20"...
Old August 10, 2001, 07:32 AM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

DeBee, that's the only place I've ever bought it. I couldn't find it locally but you might in your local hardware store. George