The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 25, 2001, 09:41 PM   #1
zxc

M-14 clone

Hello all; I thought Id post this query here in the smithy section. Am planning to get an M-14 clone. Can you recommend a smith to put together a kit? Im in FL. tempted to go Springfield but Ive found myself holding on to toys lately -longer than I should and would to have something of substance. Thank you
Al
Old July 25, 2001, 10:26 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Unless you can find a really good smith (they are scarce) I would go with just buying the rifle. You would not save any money after paying the smith, and if anything is wrong with the complete rifle it has a home. I have known some of those gunsmith deals end with a lot of finger pointing with the customer in the middle with no warranty on anything.

SA, Inc. is sometimes said to not be as good as they once were, but at least you are dealing with one company, not a bunch of parts dealers and a smith, plus SA.

Others will disagree, but that is MHO.

Jim
Old July 26, 2001, 06:49 AM   #3
Dave P

M1A

Don't forget Fulton Armory.
Old July 27, 2001, 05:56 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Smith Enterprise for the receiver (if they ever make them again) and for assembly of complete firearm.
Old July 27, 2001, 07:01 PM   #5
teufelmann55

Glen Nelson (or Nielson cannot remember the spelling) in Columbus Ga. is about the best in the country-he has been doing it for years and is a former army marksmanship unit gunsmith-he does a-lot of work for springfield armory-Be, wary of recievers from Armscorp, Chinese, and Smith Ent. some, not all can be problematic at times.
Old July 27, 2001, 07:58 PM   #6
zxc

Thanks for all the replys. Smith ent and Armscorp-Ive looked and its nice to see some companies offer warranty on their work. The Ga guy is interesting cuz that might be a short drive-dunno about smithing services accross state lines. This will be my first 308 semi so hoping to make a good informed decision. Have not ruled out buying a complete SA rifle outright tho-again many thanks. add info always appreciated.
Old July 28, 2001, 07:57 AM   #7
Doctari

Don't make any decisions untill you at least read a lot of the info at:

http://www.fulton-armory.com

also subscribe to the [email protected] list.
Ask, questions...The guys are very friendly and a huge source of info on Garand style battle rifles.

I am in the midst of deciding on an M1A project myself. These sources have helped me clarify what I am after a lot.

Mike
Old August 1, 2001, 04:38 PM   #8
zxc

Got an SA instead

Caved in.Got a st MIA coming in Friday.thanks for all the replies, dont think this will be my ultimate M-14 clone. will be getting a kit ASAP.