The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Farmland

Tight supplies means trying new things

I don't have to go over how hard it is to try and finder your favorite gun powder. Primers I have but gun powder is on the low side so when I saw a 4 lb jug of Red Dot for $60 on a shelf I did some research.

Yep I can load 45's with it and even some other pistol calibers. So back I went and I bought it. After all my stand by 231 is on the last 3 pounds.

That lead me to start looking into different powders. For 20 years I have used the same primer the same powder and the same load data, heck I might be the only one still using WAP for my 40. Though I am finally down to my last pound of that.

I suspect many others are leaning new load data too during this time with new powders, etc..
Old April 16, 2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Beginner 1960

Yes I know what u mean got a order from Powder Valley lasy week, 2lbs of H-6,Lb of Clays Universel and a lb of N-110.

Haven't loaded any of it before,like u said use what u can find, and do a lot of data research lol.

Luckly powders still out there just maybe not ur 1st chioce. May be we'll find a new favorite.
Old April 16, 2013, 09:22 PM   #3
kgpcr

I have loaded Red Dot and Green Dot in handguns for years. It works great! Those are some old stand by's. I liked using it as at one time I loaded shotgun and those were the powders I used for shot shells. It may be a bit dirty but that did not bother me
Smith M&P 40
Old April 17, 2013, 08:18 AM   #4
g.willikers

Being flexible does have advantage.
Powder is like gas for the car.
Whatever is there when needed is fine.