The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 31, 2011, 08:03 PM   #1
praetorian97

Trimmer

Anything out there more efficient than a Giraurd Trimmer?
Old August 1, 2011, 12:05 AM   #2
deepcore

Dillon power trimmer maybe?
It also full length sizes Dillon guy told me.
If you set it up in their press with their case feeder you should be able to go thru a lot of cases pretty quickly.
Old August 1, 2011, 12:28 AM   #3
Sport45

How do you define efficiency? Speed of operation, repeatability, or are you thinking in cost terms?

Look at the Possum Hollow offerings too for another trimmer that indexes off the shoulder.
Old August 1, 2011, 06:45 AM   #4
PA-Joe

How many calibers do you have. LEE makes a simple trimmer if you only have a few calibers?
Old August 1, 2011, 07:23 AM   #5
old roper

I started with a Wilson and upgraded as Sinclair offered options mine look like this but doesn't have the new "shark fin clamp" .

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...timate_Trimmer
Old August 1, 2011, 04:29 PM   #6
dmazur

I have a Giraud and I can't imagine anything more efficient for my process.

I do trimming as part of "break out" case prep/inspection. My cases are already resized/deprimed/reprimed, so I'm not looking for anything but a rapid way to trim & chamfer. Also, if it was going to have a motor, I wanted to do it in a different location than the press, which was in an inside room.

However, I have to spend time lubing cases before my resize/deprime/reprime.

I've read of a setup (on a separate toolhead) for a Dillon 650 that handles lubing with a RCBS Lube die and trimming with the Dillon 1200 Trimmer. Also, the 1200 is supposed to make a smooth enough cut to not require chamfering. Of course, there's a vacuum hose to connect to handle the chips.

So, this setup may be more efficient in terms of reducing production time. If you have no problem with noise in your press location, it is something to consider.
Old August 1, 2011, 04:46 PM   #7
GWS

More efficient depends on the situation. If you are getting on in years, it's not so much that the Giraud is inefficient, but more the reloader is getting more inefficient.

With my used up hands, (40 years of building construction) I have a harder time holding on to the cases while using a Giraud, especially after the first 50 cases.

More efficient for me was to motorize, gravitize, and auto-ejectize, my old trusty 40 year old Forster trimmer, and add a 3-way trimmer to it.

Nearly as fast as a Giraud now, it doesn't hurt my hands at all.

Efficient Forster Trimmer

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...mer+with+Style

Last edited by GWS; August 1, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old August 1, 2011, 07:05 PM   #8
603Country

I use the RCBS trimmer, which probably isn't in the same class as the ones ya'll have mentioned, but it works pretty good and isn't slow. And the 3 way cutter that I've just added to it works terrific. I wasn't very happy with the chamfering and deburring that my old dual use tool did, but the 3 way cutter makes very clean and even cuts and does that all in one step - eliminating a couple of tedious and time consuming jobs.