The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 29, 2006, 02:00 PM   #1
capitan-d

Break in period for Ruger m77?

i just got a new ruger m77 mkII and the action is not very smooth. it is a .223 and sometimes i have to push forward on the bolt pretty hard to get it to close. is there any kind of break in period? what points around the bolt should i make sure i lube? i could have prabably looked in the manual for these answers but i think you guys like to help and this was easier. thanks a lot for the help.

devin
Old January 29, 2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Death from Afar

Is this with factory ammo? DOes the brass show scrapes on it when removed from the rifle? If it is relaods you are shooting- STOP firing them as that is consistant with overstretched brass!
Old January 30, 2006, 06:41 PM   #3
capitan-d

yes it is factory ammo. wolf. no scraches on the casings.
Old January 31, 2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Wild Bill Bucks

Operate your bolt without a shell in it 20 or 30 times. Take bolt out and look for wear scratches on the bolt . If they are present, see if it is your bolt or if there is a burr inside the chamber that is causing them. I little fine emory cloth will remove them. Should free up bolt for easy operation.
My Ruger 77 had a stiff bolt when I got it a couple years back, and it was a small burr on the inside of my bolt chamber. Wasn't much, but just enough to make operation rough.
Old January 31, 2006, 11:21 AM   #5
CADDO

Stop

Wolf Ammo Does Not Fit Your Rifle. It Is Mil. Spec.. Also Do Not Use W.w. Q3131. It Also Does Not Fit. This Is Why You Cannot Close Your Bolt Without Force. You Could Be Getting Dangerous Pressures. I Found This Out With My Ruger Vt .223..
Old January 31, 2006, 05:20 PM   #6
capitan-d

that would suck if its the ammo. i got about 450 rounds left. oh well...just another excuse to buy another .223. ill check for burrs and try some different ammo.

thanks,
devin