The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 10, 2006, 05:27 PM   #51
kirbo

Need instructions

I also have had my 190 returned that I used as a boy and am trying to get
it fit for my 11 year old, can someone email these, thanks,

[email protected]
Old July 12, 2006, 06:52 PM   #52
deal

190 takedown

I've been looking for this manual and was wondering if someone could pass it along to me?

[email protected]

Thanks
Old July 25, 2006, 10:30 PM   #53
Catfishguy

what kind of finish on the recever

hey guys we got a 190 the we pulled out and are going to redo and we need to know what finish the recever had we are not sure if its blueing on it Thanks Jason and Jerry
Old July 30, 2006, 06:14 AM   #54
bobbg

190/290 front sight

I recently finished a refirb on a 290 that I traded for. This little rifle came out great but the front (plastic) sight is broken at the magizine tube holder and I have not been able to glue it together and make it hold. Where might I find a replacement for this part? Very classy plinker.
bobby
Old July 30, 2006, 06:35 PM   #55
salvo

bobbg, Numrick should have it.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...Model=0950z190

Thanks Harley & ntman for hosting.
My nephew asked if I could fix his .22, you guessed it a 190. The WWW pointed straight to Harley
Old July 30, 2006, 09:16 PM   #56
bobbg

190/290 front sight

Salvo, thanks for the info on Numrich. The only front sight they list is the later steel sight that dovetails on the top of the barrel. I need the early style made from black plastic. It fits over the muzzle and has a lower part that the magizine tube fits in. My sight is cracked on one side of the hole that the tube fits in.
Bobbg
Old August 7, 2006, 07:35 PM   #57
joons

I picked up a 190 a few months ago and just shot it last weekend (it shot very well by the way).

When I went to clean it, the action disassembly was easy enough until I pulled the bolt back and out popped the spring - uh oh. Anyhow if possible could I get a few tips on how I should go about reseting the spring? I have already tried feeding the spring with the stopper set with a pair of pliers, but I can only go so far until it starts bending. I also have no idea how to remove the stock, because I really don't know how I should approach it. Any tips are welcome, and if the takedown manuel would answer my questions then I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

<[email protected]>

EDIT: Thank you Harley for the manuel. If anyone knows what size of socket will work for the stock that would be very useful.

Last edited by joons; August 8, 2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old August 10, 2006, 08:39 PM   #58
bobbg

190 bolt spring reinstallation

Hi Joons
The manual says that the spring can be installed using needle nose pliers and patience. I could not make it work no matter how I tried. The spring fits into a hole in the rear of the reciever housing that is open to the stock. I removed the stock and fed the spring in from the rear and while holding the spring in with a finger or screwdriver slip the stock back in place and install the nut that secures it. Sounds like a difficult feat but it is not. Good luck. You are going to like the rifle by the way.
Bob
Old August 25, 2006, 10:17 PM   #59
alpha1recon

This is my first time using this site. I just bought a model 190 and does anyone know where to buy a manual for takedown and reassembly? I would greatly appreciate any help. I am old and slow using computers. My e-mail is [email protected]
Thanks
Old August 26, 2006, 12:04 AM   #60
[email protected]

Maybe this is crazy but ...

I've been taking my kids to the range shooting 22, but my 5 year old is small for his age and can't put the butt of the rifle in his shoulder. His arms are too short and he could never reach the trigger. So he puts it under his arm and blazes away. He's having fun and I'm with him, but I wanted him to be able to hold the rifle more correctly.

So after talking about it with some of the guys at work, I bought an old Winchester model 190 cheap at a gunshow to cut down him. I bought a model 190 over 33 years ago with money from my paper route, so I know it's a great rifle.

So far I've cut about 6 inches off the stock and made a new butt plate. Fine, now he can put the butt in his shoulder and reach the trigger. But the rifle is too heavy for him to hold up.

So I'm thinking I'd like to go further. Minimum legal length for a rifle is 26 inches, so I can cut another 5 or 6 inches off the rifle and still be legal. Problem is I would need to cut those inches off the barrel.

No problem. I can do that, and make it all smooth and pretty. I can even re-blue it when the cutting and filing is done. But there's that darn permanently attached magazine hanger.

Does anyone have any experience removing and replacing that hanger? Is it silver soldered? Welded on? Pressed in? Shortening the tubular magazine will be a piece of cake after that.

cmahar
Old September 1, 2006, 06:56 PM   #61
finrot

Hey Harley could you send me the Winchester 190 manual also . Just bought a nice one on gunbroker thanks Peter. [email protected]
Old October 30, 2006, 07:58 AM   #62
andy29075

Manual request

Hello all,

Harley, would you please send me a copy of the owner's manual to [email protected]?

Thanks for your help!
-Andy J
Old November 6, 2006, 07:29 PM   #63
jmorrison

Winchester 190

I would very much like a take down book or manual on the #190.

Are there any replacement part available for it? As in the "bolt opening" handle and a "insert" for the tubular magizine?
Old November 9, 2006, 08:33 PM   #64
kpedx

got a 190 passed down through my dad but no manual, and he doesnt know were is it hopefully one of you can send the takedown guide to [email protected] thanks

-ryan
Old November 21, 2006, 10:54 PM   #65
mtman

looking for owner's manual for Winchester model 190

Hi, purchased a Winchester Model 190 a few years ago. I am looking for a copy of the owner's manual. I contacted Winchester but what they sent me was incomplete. Can anyone help?? []]

Last edited by mtman; November 22, 2006 at 10:02 AM. Reason: to remove email
Old November 22, 2006, 06:30 AM   #66
FlyinGN

I found mine on Gunbroker... Keep an eye out on Ebay too.
Old November 22, 2006, 10:02 AM   #67
mtman

Thanks Harley
Old December 21, 2006, 05:48 PM   #68
PhilG

Winchester 190 Help

I have a 190 that belongs to a friend. He has had it for about 30 years. He is a novice. Doesn't even know how to clean it properly. But he is a good person so I want to help him.
The rifle misfires. The firing pin does not make a good hit on the rim most of the time.
It jambs and does not feed the next round.
The action is rough.
Like a fool I offered to take it apart and give it a good cleaning and lube to see if that would solve his problems.
I did not know what I was getting into. No owners manual or take down manual.
Would some one please be kind and send those documents to me so I have a chance of helping my friend.
Also, given the above problems does anyone with experience with this rifle have any other ideas?
Thank you.

Last edited by PhilG; December 21, 2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old December 21, 2006, 11:59 PM   #69
PhilG

Thank You

Harley,
Thank youi for the quick response.
PhilG
Old December 29, 2006, 01:23 AM   #70
pilgrimship

winchester 190 manual

Harley,
Just picked up a 190 that I would love to clean up. You seem to be the man with the manual. Could I get in line to get one. [email protected]

Thanks in advance.
Old December 29, 2006, 09:25 AM   #71
camper

Help with a winchester 190

Help, I have a gun in a bag that was given to me. Could I get the information? [email protected]
Old December 29, 2006, 10:08 AM   #72
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Check Old Posts. The 190 Is Posted On The Net

Hjn
Old December 29, 2006, 11:24 AM   #73
camper

Thanks

The gun is back together and working !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you
Old January 3, 2007, 10:14 AM   #74
percyolivas

i need the winchester 190 owners manual

Dear Harley Nolden:

i have a broken winchester model 190 with missing parts, so, i need the owners manual or exploded drawings with part list, to complete the firing mechanism and buy the parts.
i read your post of winchester 190 manual takedown i am sure this infometion help me.
my email is : [email protected]

thank you for your generosity
percy olivas
Old January 3, 2007, 04:33 PM   #75
Eghad

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...Model=0950z190

I had a friend come to me for help in locating a magazine tube assembly for a 190 today.

NRA Life Member