The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2013, 11:41 PM   #1
FLGlocker23

Break down and Cleaning time - sd40ve

Ok broke her down and gave her a good cleaning and lube. Purchased the new hoppes complete cleaning kit which was a nice all in one package. She is already looking and feeling smooth and sexy again. Can't wait to take her out to the range hopefully tomorrow and see If she resumes her righteous ways!

Ps if anyone has some specific cleaning and lubing tips then throw them my way. Not sure how thorough or correct my amateur cleaning session was.

I gave it an initial wipe down with a dry silicon cloth. Then hit the barrel lug and slide with hoppes #9 solvent. Used cloth to wipe down and clean slide. Then used phosphorus brush to clean out barrel, then took small cloth patches and slotted end tip and cleaned out inside of barrel until patches came out clean. Then I dropped my oil onto the 6 spots pointed out in manual. Reassembled. Racked the slide a few times. And wiped her down with the cloth again. Let me know if any of this is wrong, appreciate everyone's help and advice
Old January 2, 2013, 11:56 PM   #2
Torch

Pour some of that Red Bull into the trigger assembly, couldn't hurt.

Seriously, the only thing I would recommend is that you don't clean your guns with loaded magazines near by. I'm sure you're careful but it's best to be as safe as possible. I very nearly had a negligent discharge once while cleaning a handgun. Fortunately somebody else noticed what I was doing and stopped me. I was STUPID. We all have brain farts from time to time, no sense in tempting fate.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Leejack

Looks like you're off to a good start

Following the owners manual is always a good thing.

Seems like you're well orgainized, but I would add something to your kit.

Q Tips! They are magical.

A bit of advice based on the sigma (I can only assume that it would apply to the SD). These guns are not lube hogs, so lube lightly as per manual.

Be safe, have fun & enjoy your gun!
Old January 3, 2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Ps if anyone has some specific cleaning and lubing tips then throw them my way. Not sure how thorough or correct my amateur cleaning session was.
How to clean a Glock HD video link

The link above is for a Glock but as the Sigma is a very similar design everything will pretty much be the same (with the exception of the connector lubrication).
Old January 3, 2013, 10:01 AM   #5
lapetrarca53

That's pretty much the same routine I follow with my SD9 VE and haven't had any problems yet.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:30 AM   #6
carguychris

Quote:
Seriously, the only thing I would recommend is that you don't clean your guns with loaded magazines near by.
That was going to be comment #1. Comment #2 is don't eat or drink while cleaning a gun, or clean a gun where eating and drinking takes place on a regular basis. Primer residue contains lead, and you really don't want lead to get into your mouth.

FWIW same goes for smoking; the act of bringing a cigarette to your lips after touching primer residue can also transfer it to your mouth.

BTW I don't intend to be patronizing; it's just that NDs, ADs, and lead poisoning are typical examples of things that people don't ever think will happen to them, until they do. The safety precautions are really pretty simple and straightforward, so I like to follow them whenever I can.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Leejack

yep, safety first, always!
Old January 3, 2013, 01:54 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

She & it...

Your guns are a "she"?
My guns are an "it".

Clyde
Old January 3, 2013, 04:28 PM   #9
dwhite

My guns are girls too.

You must be one of those "gender neutral" people?

They're usually pretty weird.

All the Best,
D. White
Old January 3, 2013, 04:33 PM   #10
spacecoast

I'll second the recommendation for Q-tips, you can usually find a lot of crud with them that you can't reach with other methods. Great for cleaning slide channels, down inside the frame/grip, etc.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:53 PM   #11
FLGlocker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris View Post
That was going to be comment #1. Comment #2 is don't eat or drink while cleaning a gun, or clean a gun where eating and drinking takes place on a regular basis. Primer residue contains lead, and you really don't want lead to get into your mouth.

FWIW same goes for smoking; the act of bringing a cigarette to your lips after touching primer residue can also transfer it to your mouth.

BTW I don't intend to be patronizing; it's just that NDs, ADs, and lead poisoning are typical examples of things that people don't ever think will happen to them, until they do. The safety precautions are really pretty simple and straightforward, so I like to follow them whenever I can.
Thanks for the safety pointers. After the 1st spray of solvent I realized how powerful this stuff is and immediately moved my cleaning station to the back porch. Then used Clorox wipes to wipe down area i was just at. So I definitely understand the concern for where the cleaning is performed at now. That's why I included the pic, to See errors I didn't even think about.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:02 PM   #12
FLGlocker23

Definitely going to get some q-tips added to my kit thanks to your guys's advice. Saw it on YouTube vid as well. And after 1st cleaning realized how useful they can be in cleaning those tight crevices.

Also another noob question. Kit came with a large silicon cloth. Is it ok to use that silicon cloth for all purpose or should I have a separate one for dry wipe downs, a separate one for wiping down parts with solvent, and a 3rd clean one for final wipe down after cleaning.

Just feel like quite quickly that cloth will be covered in gun residue/solvent/lube oil all the the same time.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:05 PM   #13
Drummer101

The only thing I would do is not keep the loaded mags around.

For me I put in the mag and do a quick dry fire or 2, more out of habit than having to. I just dont like live loaded ammo around when I dry fire.

And this is even a bigger deal in firearms that have a mag disconnect.

Other then that I wish I had a good place to clean my guns. Mine is the dinning room table or the floor in front of the TV (both with newspaper on the surface)...
Old January 4, 2013, 11:54 AM   #14
Unspoken

The mags and the magwell always deserve a good wipe down.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:01 PM   #15
Unspoken

So how new is that handgun?

I ask because I have the SD40. For the first 500-or so rounds I would get a failure to feed about once in every magazine. But nowadays it runs consistently flawlessly. So don't get discouraged if you get some failures, if it's new.

I guess the mythical 'break in period' could be real.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:08 AM   #16
FLGlocker23

I have owned the gun for about 2 months and have put about 2-300 hundred rounds through it.