The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 10, 2012, 09:19 AM   #26
Wyoredman

gyvel,

I do have a copy of the book and it does tell the story of a group of men capturing a mountain lion alive, placing it in a home-built cage and transporting it by horseback. My memeory is a bit foggy, but when I get home tonight, I will dig out the book and read the tale!

I do remember that the book has many old pictures of the period locals. I will look and see if any pictures show any people with firearms. Maybe I will find a picture of this thumb-buster!

Thanks.
Old August 10, 2012, 10:44 AM   #27
BlueTrain

I think you have an excellent old Colt there. Some makers have made reproductions that attempt to mimic a revolver with a lot of wear, though that one actually has rather less wear than the reproductions.

I'd say the wear is a result of being carried in a holster. Even revolvers I've owned that were purchased new quickly showed holster wear at the muzzle. It may not be a collector gun by collector's standards but it is certainly highly desireable.

The front sight looks a little odd. Do you suppose it has been modified in some way?
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 10, 2012, 11:51 AM   #28
Wyoredman

Mr. Blue Train,

I am entirely un-sure if the sight is modified. I certianly has a "bead" type of milling, but I don't know enough about old SAA's to say one way or the other. Someone here at TFL may shed some light on that question as well.

Seams as though, the more we examine this gun, the more questions get raised!

I still need to get some more photos.

Thanks.
Old August 10, 2012, 12:35 PM   #29
James K
Member In Memoriam

Colt SAAs of that period had tapered front sights. Later guns had even sides and a flat top, giving the now-standard "Patridge" sight picture. AFAIK, no bead or special sights were put on standard guns, but buyers of Bisleys could order special sights.

It looks to me like that sight was reshaped by or for someone who wanted "a fine bead" in the terminology of the day.

Jim
Old August 10, 2012, 02:42 PM   #30
gyvel

Quote:
I do have a copy of the book and it does tell the story of a group of men capturing a mountain lion alive, placing it in a home-built cage and transporting it by horseback. My memeory is a bit foggy, but when I get home tonight, I will dig out the book and read the tale!
Actually, the story was about the rescue of "Leo the Lion" who was the MGM roaring lion seen in the beginning of every MGM film. Apparently "Leo" was on a publicity tour and the pilot managed to crash his plane en route from Phoenix to Albuquerque in one of the more remote areas of the White Mtns.

They had to enlist some aid from some of the local residents of Young and surrounds. Been a while since I read it, but it was a cute story.

Again, as far as any modifications to that gun, at this point it really doesn't matter. At that time, 99.99% of guns here in AZ were working guns, especially on ranches, and especially at a time when getting law enforcement wasn't just a matter of dialing "911."

I will be really curious to see to whom the gun was orignally shipped.
Old August 10, 2012, 06:55 PM   #31
Hawg

It will say it was shipped to a particular hardware store etc. Unless it was a custom order it didn't ship to an individual.
Old August 10, 2012, 10:39 PM   #32
Wyoredman

gyvel,

I found the book and the second chapter is titled "Leo the Lion". You are 100% correct. It is a story about the "areoplane" crashing in a canyon near Payson.

Quote:
"I got caught in a box canyon," he said. "Did you see an aeroplane come over here the other day? I crash-landed somewhere up the canyon. I've been walking for days. I have to get to a tellephone. There's a lion on my plane."
Frank V. Gillette, "Pleasant Valley", 1984, pg. 9

The MGM lion, Leo, crashed in Pleasant Valley!

Anyway, Vern and Frank Gillette were along for Leo's rescue with Sam and Boy Haught!

Hawg,

That is the most likely, but I hope that it was ordered by someone in the valley. I am not sure there were many hardware stores in the area at the time. The research from Colt is going to answer many question. I hope it doesn't raise too many more!

Thanks again!
Old August 10, 2012, 11:51 PM   #33
gyvel

It would be really cool if it went to a hardware or mercantile in Payson.
Old August 11, 2012, 10:41 PM   #34
James K
Member In Memoriam

Colt mostly shipped to distributors, not directly to dealers, and only rarely to individuals, mostly celebrities and law enforcement personnel.

Jim
Old August 12, 2012, 09:34 AM   #35
Hawg

I think it's unlikely but if those grips are original they most likely would have been a special order. I've been trying to find a pic of Kid Curry's gun. I know there's one out there, I've seen it before. I do not remember it having a Colt medallion on the grips.
Old November 2, 2012, 09:12 AM   #36
Wyoredman

Colt Archives just posted a $100.00 charge to my credit card!

Yea! Looks like the letter is on its way! ~90 days, less than the 120 they said when I called!

I will post it when it shows up!
Old November 6, 2012, 07:52 PM   #37
Wyoredman

I recieved the Colt letter today!

This gun was shipped to Simmons Hardware Company, St. Louis, Missouri on October 3, 1904! It was shipped with 20 other guns. It was shipped as a 5-1/2", Blued .45LC. There is nothing mentioned as to stock type.

The letter raises many more questions! How did this gun make it's way from St. Louis to Arizona! Are the stag stocks factory, add ons from the hardware, or personal embellishments?

The research is just beginning!

Thanks everyone, for all the help! I will keep you informed with any new info!
Old November 6, 2012, 08:18 PM   #38
Hawg

I would think if the grips were factory that would have been noted in the letter.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:20 PM   #39
James K
Member In Memoriam

"How did this gun make it's way from St. Louis to Arizona?"

Well, 1904 was not exactly prehistorical. Someone going west and passing through St. Louis could have bought it (no gun control laws then!). Or more likely, an Arizona dealer or hardware store simply ordered it and it came in on the train a week or two later.

Or the Rams were playing the Cardinals and a couple of the guys got together....

Jim
Old November 7, 2012, 09:50 AM   #40
Wyoredman

Simmons Hardware seems to have been a big wholesale outfit back in the day. Kind of like Davidsons.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:30 PM   #41
WillyKern69

There is a great Documentary on you tube about the Pleseant Valley War.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hekALWtiWm0

i'm watching it now. Looks like some cool gun in it too..
Old December 11, 2012, 01:46 PM   #42
Wyoredman

Fellas,

I have been watching many of the auction sites lately with the goal of finding an insurance value on this Colt. I haven't been able to actually find a compareable gun that has sold. There are quite a few for sale, but it seems that none are selling.

What is your honest opinion on the insurance value of this gun? I have a notion to have my FIL insure it for $3000.00. Can you confirm that this would be a reasonable amount?

Thanks.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:40 PM   #43
PetahW

That insurance value sounds reasonable to me, unless/until you get a formal/professional value estimate to the contrary.

BTW - Plastic grips don't have pores.