The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 17, 2012, 06:31 PM   #26
Bill Akins

Quote:
Doc Hoy wrote:
Everyday is a good day when you can scare some frogs with an ROA.
I second that emotion Doc. Kinda like fishing or being out on a boat or diving. Doesn't matter if you actually accomplish doing anything or catching anything, or find anything underwater while diving, it's the fun of just getting out, feeling free (whether real freedom or just the impression of it) and enjoying being out doing what you like. When I was a boy I always wanted to build a homemade raft with a little tent on it (like in Tom Sawyer) and just float down the Hillsborough river all day fishing with a string attached to my toe and doing basically nothing other than cooking the occasional fish I might catch and eating it. Wouldn't have mattered what I did. Just that I would be out on the raft enjoying myself and feeling the freedom (that is so rare in a peopled society, especially with .gov today). Never accomplished that raft but get kinda the same feeling when I go out on a friends boat or ESPECIALLY when I am diving or shooting as you gettin out with the ROA and the frogs. I can definitely relate.

Of course beer as the capper afterwards to it all just makes it.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; April 17, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old April 17, 2012, 09:10 PM   #27
Jetchlnger

Well guys I finally got all the gear together to shoot my Pietta 1860 Colt Army for the first time.....the first time I've ever fired a BP weapon and I'm hooked! More shooting on Thursday. I used 25 gr Pyrodex with 451 balls. Shot about 4 inches high at 10 yards. Using CCI #10 caps and had 4 FTF in 12 rounds but all fired second try. I noticed cap residue stuck to the hammer so maybe that caused the misfires? Next purchase 1858 Remington! Thanks to Beagle333 for all the advice!
Old April 17, 2012, 09:49 PM   #28
Beagle333

Quote:
I finally got all the gear together to shoot my Pietta 1860 Colt Army for the first time.....I used 25 gr Pyrodex with 451 balls.

'Better make sure you are getting a good lead ring shaved off those .451 balls. I use .454 in my Piettas.

'Glad the pistol is working for you now. Have fun shooting! (and collecting!)
Old April 17, 2012, 10:49 PM   #29
sandman_nv

Beagle is correct.

When I started shooting, I used .451s because I thought .454s were TOO BIG to use because they wouldn't fit LOL

Luckily, had no chain-fires...

But then I learned about the shaved ring, and all was well.

and welcome to the sport, Jetchlnger. Warning, you prolly won't be able to stop with just one Colt and one Remmy.
Old April 18, 2012, 06:21 AM   #30
Jetchlnger

Thanks guys I'll pick up a box of 454 today.
Old April 18, 2012, 12:07 PM   #31
rclark

Got out with my Ruger Old Army last night. I had filed down my rear sight blade and wanted to see if I am there.... Looks like I am! Fun .. now that we are shooting 'on-target'! Mine was shooting about 2" or more high at 25Y (rear sight bottomed out) which was really high at 50, on out to 80....

This was shot offhand and I pulled a couple.... Using .457 balls.

Ever have a 'delayed' firing? Once is awhile I 'hear' two booms very close together when the hammer falls..... Just wondering .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; April 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old April 18, 2012, 12:36 PM   #32
pgdion

Quote:
Now it's raining again. You can call me a fair weather shooter (it's OK)...I just don't like to get rained on!
I don't like shooting in the rain either, it makes such a mess of everything. We went out 2 weeks back to the good ol sand pit. It was supposed to be a nice day. Got up north and it was cloudy, windy, ... and drizzling.
The drizzle turned to rain for a bit. The targets were a mess but luckily the cans didn't care. I was glad I had brought a couple of the SS guns with though. We still had fun but it would have been a lot more fun if it was a nice day!

Last edited by pgdion; April 18, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old April 18, 2012, 01:12 PM   #33
Beagle333

rclark:

Quote:
Ever have a 'delayed' firing? Once is awhile I 'hear' two booms very close together when the hammer falls..... Just wondering
Yesterday when I was using 2F 777 in my 1860, it had a couple of hang-fires. No misfires, but there was a definite pause. I don't normally use 2F though, I was just trying out different powders with different lubes.
Old April 18, 2012, 11:27 PM   #34
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I got out shooting today

Hey is Doc Hoy in the house tonight!! What do you got to say over there on the East Coast Sir. Any words of wisdom we can dwell on tonight. I'm all ears here._
Old April 19, 2012, 05:45 AM   #35
Doc Hoy

Sure Shot

Words of Wisdom......

"That government is best which governs least"

Thomas Jefferson
Old April 19, 2012, 07:19 AM   #36
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Doc Hoy

Hmmm Well >I guess there's no debating those famous words. One thing I would comment on. I honestly like how well our foundling forefathers could articulate. Always crystal clear and to the point. Thank you kind Sir.
Old April 19, 2012, 09:04 PM   #37
Jetchlnger

Picked up Remington #10 caps and 454 balls today. No misfires and accuracy much better. I see the difference of the shaved ring. Thanks again for the info.