The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2013, 07:05 AM   #1
Dingo Steelwell

LC9, anyone else had this happen?

I have a Ruger LC9, and a few times here and there it will "let go" of the mag and let it drop (I have not dropped it, but it comes free) anyone else have an LC9 that has had this happen?
Old January 4, 2013, 08:25 AM   #2
Skans

This has never happened with mine - I have a little over 500 rounds though it.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Yung.gunr

Haven't put too many rounds through mine, still deciding if it's a keeper or not. I did put a grip sleeve on it that will need to be trimmed due to the mag release.

When your mag has released what was going on with the gun? Being shot, holstered?
Old January 4, 2013, 10:46 PM   #4
Marquezj16

Nope, has never happened with mine. Are you sure you getting the mag all the way in. Have you checked to see if the mag release is sticking?
Old January 4, 2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Sport45

No. Mine has never done that with several hundred rounds put through it.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:23 AM   #6
weblance

Do you have the pinky extension on the magazine? Recoil, and pressure from your grip will ratchet out the magazine. Mine does this. I re-installed the flat magazine floor plate, and over 700 rounds since without a drop.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:56 PM   #7
garyvale

Has not happened to me after over 300 rounds. No failures of any kind so far.
Old January 11, 2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Dingo Steelwell

I do have the extension on the mag, I don't like the feel of it without it, but I think my problem lies in the holster, the way the gun fits in the holster puts the mag release button up aginst my back, and it is not so much when I would draw the gun, it is when I remove the gun in holster from my belt after I get home, before I sit down...
I have never actually fired it with the other floor plate installed, I should try it sometime...
Old January 11, 2013, 03:01 PM   #9
only1najeep

Not me But...

I have about 300 round through mine and I have never had this happen to me. However when my dad, who has larger hands than me, fired it this same thing happend to him. It only happend after I added a hogue slip on grip to mine.
NRA range safety officer
Old January 11, 2013, 05:34 PM   #10
tristar viper

There were/are some posts over on Rugerforum.com about that happening. Don't recall how recent they are.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:35 PM   #11
tristar viper

Here is part of it:

I sent my LC9 back to Ruger to cure its tendency to drop the magazine when firing. I got it back a couple days ago, took it to the range and it still dropped the magazine once or twice per every 7 rounds. Ruger said they replaced the magazine latch and spring. Oddly they also replaced the firing pin and spring although I've had no problem with light strikes. As per their usual testing they fired a 21 shot salute through it and sent it back. I was very disappointed to find it still dropped the magazine. I fired it both right and left handed to make sure it wasn't me causing it. I also let another fellow at the range to shoot a magazine full and it did it to him as well. Yesterday I took the bull by the horns, detail disassembled the gun and removed the latch. A bit of judicious Dremel grinding on the locking side of the latch to reshape the catch a bit did the job. I fired about 80 rounds of ammo through it today without a hitch. It appears that Ruger's manufacturing of the latch could use a bit better shaping. The part of the latch on the side that hits the magazine as its inserted is tapered to allow the magazine to pass on insertion while the other side of the latch that catches and holds the magazine has to be flat. On my old latch and the new one the catch side was sloped a bit downward which was just enough to allow the magazine to slip past during recoil. I just flattened the side on the catch side which prevents the magazine from wedging itself past the latch during recoil. Ruger really needs to do a better job of shaping that latch.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:52 PM   #12
weblance

Dingo... is the gun dropping the mag when firing, or when at rest in the holster? You need to explain better because we are all answering a problem with the magazine dropping when the pistol is being fired.
Old February 10, 2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Dingo Steelwell

It has not done it to me while firing, only when it is in the holster, I have run about 400 to 500 rounds through it in the time that I have had it (it was a dealer special, with a frame that was done over to look like carbon fiber, but I don't think that would have anything to do with the function of the gun...) one of the reasons that I worry about this, is that the gun has a mag. disconnect, so it won't fire without the mag in it, I have always caught the problem, so far, but if I were to NEED the gun, in the heat of the moment, and it dropped the mag, I would be very... upset...
Old February 11, 2013, 11:50 AM   #14
Skans

I took my Ruger LC9 to the range this weekend, put about 120 (about 2.5 boxes) rounds through it without one hickup. Oh, and it was ALL steel-cased Wolf 9mm!